World Cycling trip with type 1

Jfellows

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone!

I’m new to this forum (forums in general :))
My name is Jess, I’m 30 years old and I live in Bristol, UK. I’m looking for some advice for an upcoming big trip on my bike. I use Levemir and novorapid.

I was diagnosed in 2012, so have a fairly good understanding and manage it well. I’ve done a few cycle tours in the last few years and always find my blood control most level and happy when cycling all day everyday!!

I’m currently planning a much longer trip - along with my partner, we want to cycle around the world. A big endeavour with type one :) As far as I’m aware no other type one diabetic has embarked on such a mission (unless anyone knows anyone?), so I’m trying my best to research everything - but hoping this community will be able to offer some more insight!

The longest I’ve been away for on my bike so far has been 6 weeks, when cycling from Istanbul to England. I used the FRIO pack to carry my spare insulin and the pens that I was using at the time. This method seemed to work fine for that trip.

Thought I’d say hi and introduce myself. I’m sure you’ll hear a lot more from me when I get the hang of how the forum works!

Big thanks,
Jess :)

Reactions: Antje77