Worried about Brexit, anyone else?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well spotted.

In some ways it is affected by Brexit, in as much as there is likely to be a call on their services even more if many European employees of the NHS are repatriated, which is looking more likely today.
Are you saying that people from the EU would be in a worse position with regard to remaining in the UK than people from the rest of the world?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying that people from the EU would be in a worse position with regard to remaining in the UK than people from the rest of the world?
No. I am saying that any shortfall in NHS staff if they are repatriated owing to Brexit, is likely to increase the demand for NHS staff from outside the EU.

Which is an ironic twist for those who thought Brexit would provide an immigration solution.

Reactions: Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do we have the figures for the number of EU staff in the NHS and the numbers for non-EU foreign staff? Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I have only once been seen by an EU doctor, but have been seen by plenty of non-EU foreigners.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. I am saying that any shortfall in NHS staff if they are repatriated owing to Brexit, is likely to increase the demand for NHS staff from outside the EU.

Which is an ironic twist for those who thought Brexit would provide an immigration solution.
Repatriated means forced to leave. Why would they make a EU citizen leave in order to employ someone from the rest of the world? If there are restrictions on immigration it is likely to be on the basis of jobs being available, clearly if an EU citizen already has a job, the job is there.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Do we have the figures for the number of EU staff in the NHS and the numbers for non-EU foreign staff? Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I have only once been seen by an EU doctor, but have been seen by plenty of non-EU foreigners.

My Neurologist is from Greece if that helps he replaced my previous Neurologist who was from Hungary the foreign staff in the department my wife works in are mainly from the Indian subcontinent and one nurse from Honduras.

Oh and it seems if any one is worried about it which I doubt you will still be able to get your sausage rolls from Greggs as they have been stockpiling pork for months.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Repatriated means forced to leave. Why would they make a EU citizen leave in order to employ someone from the rest of the world? If there are restrictions on immigration it is likely to be on the basis of jobs being available, clearly if an EU citizen already has a job, the job is there.

You have to be earning above a set amount and not all NHS staff earn huge sums. Of course they may relax that rule any way would you want to come and work in a country where you plainly are not welcome my cousins daughters are already being harassed and abused at school and in the street and they both hold duel nationality.

Just to add a link. https://fullfact.org/health/eu-staff-nhs-what-has-happened-referendum/

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but (correct me if I am wrong) job or no job if they have been here for less than 5 years then they cannot stay.

Also the flow in from Eastern Europe is likely to stop, paving the way for employment from outside of the EU in the future.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
....any way would you want to come and work in a country where you plainly are not welcome my cousins daughters are already being harassed and abused at school and in the street and they both hold duel nationality.

You hit the nail on the head there John.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to be earning above a set amount and not all NHS staff earn huge sums. Of course they may relax that rule any way would you want to come and work in a country where you plainly are not welcome my cousins daughters are already being harassed and abused at school and in the street and they both hold duel nationality.

Just to add a link. https://fullfact.org/health/eu-staff-nhs-what-has-happened-referendum/
How on earth would someone in the street know if you have dual nationality?

Reactions: WackyJacky64

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
They don't all they need is to see some one who looks foreign or who happens to be talking in Italian as they sometimes do.

The guy who used to live a few doors up from me and his brother both skilled engineers with very good jobs are back in Poland now every one around here knew they were Polish and a lot gave them a very hard time since the referendum accusing them of being drug dealers and criminals because they drove very nice cars and such.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All, please can we get back to the original topic of discussion on this thread - namely the OPs concerns about possible insulin/diabetes medication shortages as a result of Brexit.

This thread is in the ‘diabetes discussion’ section of the forum and is not the place to be discussing repatriation or immigration rules and processes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Funnily my grandson before going to Uni was working in recruitment in particular the recruitment of health workers from abroad and over a period it became more and more difficult to recruit because of an increase in red tape and a decrease in people wanting to work here that agency is no longer in business..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
All, please can we get back to the original topic of discussion on this thread - namely the OPs concerns about possible insulin/diabetes medication shortages as a result of Brexit.

This thread is in the ‘diabetes discussion’ section of the forum and is not the place to be discussing repatriation or immigration rules and processes.
Ok as you wish

Do you have anything to contribute to the discussion I note you like myself do not depend on Insulin my concern is for our T1 and Insulin dependent T2's and am extremely concerned for them as I for one if in their position would not want my life in the hands of politicians and bureaucrats and no bland assurances from those who are themselves part of that establishment would ease my mind I would be demanding action not complacent don't worry it's all going to be OK statements. Just my opinion for what it's worth what's your opinion.

Reactions: Prem51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnEGreen believe me, you really don’t want to get me started on Brexit. Apart from anything else my fellow moderators would likely have to throw the proverbial book at me for profanity, derailing and much more besides :D

Although I wouldn’t be personally affected, I completely understand the OP’s concerns about diabetes medication supplies.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posts have been deleted for derailing and personal attacks. Per last night’s request, please stick to the original topic of the thread.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am worried about Brexit. A relative has 2 hospital appointments that have been postponed because of lack of staff. They were due in July and Aug. This is the first year in 10 that the appointments haven't been made on time. Still, the relative concerned voted for Brexit so I guess she has got what she voted for... fewer migrant workers.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am worried about Brexit. A relative has 2 hospital appointments that have been postponed because of lack of staff. They were due in July and Aug. This is the first year in 10 that the appointments haven't been made on time. Still, the relative concerned voted for Brexit so I guess she has got what she voted for... fewer migrant workers.
Yes, a case of careful what you wish for.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Very well said. Its medicines we should be talking about and whether there will be shortages. That is what is important to most of us at the moment surely?