1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Worried About Feet

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by hunni 2, Aug 27, 2018.

1. hunni 2

hunni 2 Type 1 · Member

hey everyone
    so im 17 and Ive been type 1 since the age of 2. im worried about my feet as I have quite hardened skin (probably because its dry) and the sensation isn't as good as the rest of my foot. Is this a sign of something serious?

Thank you!

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

If you are at all concerned then seeing a nurse might help - a doctor might not be much help - I had a mosaic verruca at one point and showed it to the doctor - he said it was just hard skin, three times, if I remember correctly - and the chiropodist had to burn it off with acid and it took weeks to go - it was rather painful and it left a patch of my foot sole with reduced sensation.

Using a moisturizing lotion, or even olive oil on them would be a good idea.
    Please do not try to cut away, or shave or abrade it off - it seems that a lot of serious complications arise from quite small injuries, which then become infected.
    It might be nothing more serious than badly fitting shoes, but warm baths, even just a footbath, walking, going up and down a flight of stairs three times (to use the muscles in your legs to help pump the blood around) all might help.
    I am 67, and I bought myself a big trampoline to put in the garden for fun and easy exercise, I'd have had 40 more years of having fun if I'd started at your age and I might even be able to do backflips if I'd started earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hunni 2

hunni 2 Type 1 · Member

honestly, thank you so much for your advice!

4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Go and see a podiatrist if you have concerns like this.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook