worried about first night

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
not a good night last night rose to low 20's wondering if was because he had pizza for tea tho, dylan loves pizza and we have always been able to manage his bloods so he could have it but doesnt look like it worked yesterday :?

hes woke up as 20 this morning so trying to correct before school if i possibly can, given correction and set up a temp basal so will so how he is before he gets out of the car, hoping for a better day today so i can have a full nights sleep tonight was up for half hour in middle of night and now feel like im hanging with big bags under my eyes :(

lets see what today holds i guess :D

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you check for ketones? Is he well or do you think he's coming down with something, have you checked to see if he's running a temperature? When last did you do a set change, could it be a kinked cannula? Did you check the resevoir and tubing for air bubbles? When he was 20 last night did you do a bolus correction and did it work to bring down his readings i.e. have they been at 20 all night or did they come down but have risen up to that again this morning. These are the questions I ask myself when Jess' readings go higher unexpectedly. So far once we've had an air bubble which after primed out got everything back on track, and this week as she's been unwell we've had higher than wanted readings.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
yes i checked for ketones there were none im sure its to do with the pizza and not enough insulin to cover it, we did a set change only last night and he did drop after a bolus so sure everything is working properly but thanks for the advice hun :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Anna Marie
It's only a blip...I can't give too much advice on pizza (actually having one tonight!!), as this is only the 2nd time I have had pizza-and I am having to go back to my logbooks to see what I did....I know I did it as a multiwave, but can't remember what sort of percentage and how many hours to do it over!!! I know I also increased my basal rate for pizza for 12 hours!!!!! We normally eat about 7pm, and I increased it all the way through to 7am.

The only thing in situations with hypo's and rises in blood is to learn from them. What caused them, how to deal with them, and if there is a pattern to them. You just got to find the best way to manage the pizza, and you will do it.

This weekend will make things easier for next week. Rises can be dealt with quite rapidly, but it is the hypo's you need to get rid of, and I'm sure by this time next week (I know it seems a long way off!!!) Dylan will be more level.

You are managing so well, I think the black bags under the eyes are what we all get when we first go over to the pumps!!!! The most important thing is that you and Dylan are managing it all well, and it is a hugely different regime to come to terms with. You have gained such a huge understanding of the way it all works in such a short period of time, you should both be **** proud of yourselves......Sharon

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanx sharon i am proud of myself for doing this with very little help, i knew when we had the pizza last night it would be a challenge i knew exactly what to dowith MDI and i will know what to do after a while on the pump too its trial and error and i will keep trialling things :lol:

i am glad its fri so we can proper get our teeth into testing basals properly tomorrow. the black bags will go too eventually lol. i can see why some give upon the pump with the tiredness etc but not me im not a quitter im a worker :lol: :lol:

anna marie

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That is practically the same expression that I use.......I'm a worker, not a shirker!!!! or I am not a quitter!!!

It is something to bear in mind with Sophia's comments about other things that can impact sometimes. Like you, I would have put down the high's to the pizza....however if the high's haven't come down by lunch time today, then I would start to consider other things that Sophia listed.

Hazza

Lily loves pizza and we always use multiwave bolus. If she has 75g carbs pizza she will need around 5.5 units so we split this to 40/60 so she would get 2.5 up front and 3 over 2 or 3 hours. This seems to work for us but you may need a 30/70 or 50/50, you have to experiment as the pizza has more fat content and takes longer to hit the system. We haven't needed to change basals so far but nothing seems to stay the same.
Dylans numbers seem a bit strange as he was in the 2s yesterday when he got up and the pizza sure wouldn't be affecting it after all that time.
Let me scratch my head and think about it (ouch, ouch, not used to thinking too much :) )
Let us know how he is at lunch time.
PS Not sure if running TBR is much good at the moment as you don't know if you have them set up correctly yet. Just a thought (OUCH)

Harry

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i def will sharon, i am sat here now thinking about what sophia said and altho there were no ketones am i am worrying i have missed something. keeping everything crossed he will be down by lunchtime.

yes the nurse said abit about the squarewave and multiwave functions but i have not used them as yet just gone for the bog standard basal till we are used to what we are doing anyway :D

thanks for thinking for us but dont go thinking too hard

anna marie

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have a new set ready for lunchtime just incase Anna Marie.

Hazza

We are using the Accuchek Combo pump and it is pretty straight forward to change the different bolus settings. (Even I can do it now that Lily has shown me :D ) Not sure how yours works but it should be fairly straight forward, they are mostly similar in how they work, just follow the instruction manual and you will be fine.
Good thinking Sharon.
Harry

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another thing I forgot to say about the air bubble is that a bolus worked fine but it seemed to be blocking the basal. I spoke to our DSN about it and we concluded that perhaps the bolus being a larger dose of insulin was able to push past the bubble but as the basal is such a tiny amount the bubble was causing a problem there.

Hopefully Dylans readings will be back to normal by lunch time. It's really difficult in these early days trying to detect what the problem is. We havn't tried pizza yet but pasta was interesting. I agree with Sharon that it's important to log all these different food types so that we can learn how to deliver insulin the next time.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanku all 3 of u for being so kind and helpful the last few days u have been there for me whenever i write something new and i really do appreciate the time spent replying with little gems of advice and words of encouragement and support

anna marie

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
ok just got home from school and lunchtime dylan was 3.6 so managed to get him down just abit too much :D
trouble is now hes home from school and hes gone back up to 18.1 so done another correction and set temp basal too think im going to have to alter basal rates for afternoon again yesterday and today hes just yoyo'd all over the place the good numbers have dissapeared on the positive tho its the weekend so can get a handle on whats going on better and maybe some sleep too would be nice :lol: :lol:

anna marie

iHs

Hi :)

I think you will find that it will take about 2-3 months of adjusting the basals every week before things settle down for Dylan bg wise.

It will help to practice a bit of law and order over the eating and not eat whatever and whenever until you've got a better grip on everything. Pizza is well known for causing problems so you might be better to avoid it for a little while until things settle down.

Not sure really how the Veo works as the Spirit delivers the basal in 0.01s if need be whereas the Veo is 0.05s. So not surprised that things are a bit up and then down.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya he loves his pizza and has always been able to have it on injections, i think i just need to learn to manage it better now ive seen the effect i have a better understanding of what its doing may need a higher basal when he has it or the multiwave bolus maybe.

i dont think it will be a quick progress with working things out but we will get there eventually thanks for ur advice i do appreciate all the help im getting from here tho :D

anna marie