Worried about high blood sugar levels

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
you definitely do not want it over 10. At this point your kidneys start to filter out sugar which can cause damage over time. You can try and go for a walk at about 40 minutes after eating it next time, about 20 mins brisk, or walk up and down a flight of stairs about 15 to 20 times. You will probably find this helps. With a starting level of 6.9 you do not really have very far to go up so you have to use all the tools in your arsenal, change your diet and exercise.

You didn't say how much muesli you had not how many carbs/100g in it. Most muesli you buy also contains quite a lot of added sugar, but look at the total carb value. Additionally how large was a bowl. I have about 20 to 30g of porridge and not the recommended amount. Portion control is an additional tool.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The nurse never tells me what my HbA1c is, just says I am doing well or not so well; I will start asking her what it is from next time I see her.

That's terrible - demand it, it's your body and tests not theirs.

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update, I have been testing before and 2 hours after every meal since Monday and am going to continue for a couple of days yet as I am trying diferent foods and amounts. I am keeping the results on a spreadsheet and will load it up for your comments in a few days time.

One thing I will say though is that since I started this I have felt a lot better, no sign of the continual fatigue I was experiencing - only problem is that my wife tells me I am not eating enough and will get too thin - how do you reply to that? If I had a penny for every time she has said to me 'That's not a man's meal' when she has dished up as I ask I would be very wealthy now!!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Rofl been
Hey Colvin! You pinched my ups and downs! I only do 5 at any one time...poor kneesies :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
doing ups and downs as you call it since Mid/Late January and recommending it to people. Although as I have got fitter I find it helps me less and less. I am sure my knees and hips will be worn out well before I retire with all this treadmill stuff.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update, I have been testing before and 2 hours after every meal since Monday and am going to continue for a couple of days yet as I am trying diferent foods and amounts. I am keeping the results on a spreadsheet and will load it up for your comments in a few days time.

One thing I will say though is that since I started this I have felt a lot better, no sign of the continual fatigue I was experiencing - only problem is that my wife tells me I am not eating enough and will get too thin - how do you reply to that? If I had a penny for every time she has said to me 'That's not a man's meal' when she has dished up as I ask I would be very wealthy now!!

JayCee - the too thin thing is a tricky one. Our loved ones can sometimes struggle watching us go through some of the difficult changes we need to make, and worry we might become obsessed. (Obsessed, moi? OK. I give in. Just a bit. ;))

When we went through a little of this at home, I struck a deal that we could talk about it again when I was actually becoming too thin, and not what might happen. Portion control is critical. Is your wife following your eating plan too? Is she modifying her diet, and maybe portion sizes?

As a matter of interest, we have had the discussion again, because I have got quite thin, but that conversation was around how we could take positive steps,to stem weight loss and remain on track. It was an altogether healthier discussion.

If we have gained weight, as most of us have, in the period pre-diagnosis, and also tripped over the diabetes trip wire, something's have to change. Reverting to pre-diagnosis diet and lifestyle is, unfortunately not the answer. But you know that.

It's excellent your wife is supportive, and also that she voices her concerns. I'm sure you'll both get there. Diabetes isn't a solo sport.

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that - she is not joining in with portion control or counting carbs, it is a shame as she could do with doing it, her BMI is about 34-35 and she admits she is technically obese but says she enjoys her food and will continue to eat as and when she wants to; I have tried to get her to ome to my diabetic appointments with me but she says she knows best what her body needs and I have stopped getting into arguments about it even though I know her health would get a lot better if she did the same as I am doing.

Oh well that's life I guess, we can't save everybody from themselves!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My guess is that the carb cravings were too bad. Carbs are addictive. Google and read about it

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we have to be careful not to preach. Whilst I realise we don't want our loved ones to end up in the same boat, we also have to remember glass houses and stones.

People have to reach these decisions themselves. Were all bright people, we know the science. But it didn't stop us from making huge mistakes. Don't forget that emotions are often at the root of an eating problem/addiction.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Again,

I have been keeping a detailed record of my meals and sugars before and 2 hours after them for the last week and have attached it as a JPG.

Would you be good enough to coment on it, and please be frank, mind you I know you will.

You did say to cut out bread but I seem to be OK with one slice of hovis seed sensations a day, or do you think diferently?

I have cut down drastically on potato and have very small portions now.

I am quite happy with the results I have got this week but I am happy to listen to any criticism.

Attachments

• meals.jpg
    meals.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 306

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be knocking the breakfast cereals on the head for a start and the bread tbh. You say one slice is ok, but you are actually having two slices most days and then more carbs with your evening meals. Baked beans are loaded with sugar, even the low sugar ones so I'd not be having them either. Your menu seems very carb heavy to me given that you want to reduce your BS levels to within the recommended targets( an ideally lower.) Perhaps you could try a cooked breakfast without bread or greek yoghurt and some berries and seeds/nuts. Cereals ay breakfast are not really an option for most of us and your post- breakfast levels are pretty high on that list. Pot Noodle isn't really a diabetic option as it will be full of carbs and other nasties- and this is reflected in the 14.2 post meal test- the NICE target is 8.5 which is pretty generous and ideally we should be aiming much lower. Have a look at the what have you eaten today thread for some meal ideas that might be better for you, and keep testing as only then will you know what suits you.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always like some hard facts and you have done good recording things. Keep doing this.

Blood glucose wise you are far from a healthy range though and I think you should start at breakfast. At two hours you want to be down at baseline again so a 4-6 mml spike two hours after is not good enough. Skip the cereal based breakfast things and you will do incredibly better. When I don't feel up to eggs or any kind of a cooked breakfast I have fat Turkish or Greek yoghurt with shredded coconut instead of cereal and a dusting of cinnamon. There are lots of different nuts and seeds you can use instead of grain based cereal.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you main problem is the cereal - replace that with may be half the amount or find something else. Your main problems seems to be your high pre-prandials which give you little room to manoeuvre. If you can bring those down (maybe a 20 min walk before eating might help) then you would be in range.

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, I take aboard all your comments and will carry on recording as long as I can, I only managed the last week as I have been saving some strips each month and built up a reserve.

Below is an excerpt from the Diabetes type 2 information booklet issued by the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital trust as it seems to fly in the face of some of what you say - why are we being given this advice if it is not correct; in my mind I am having an argument with myself, the people on here have years of experience but aren't the hospital people in the diabetic clinic supposed to be professionals?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Under the heading 'Getting a balanced diet' it is listed under two headings - 'Food Groups' and 'How many servings a day'

One of the Food Groups is 'Starchy foods such as bread, cereals, rice, pasta and potatoes' and it lists:
6-8 tbsp cereal or 4 tbsp muesli
2 slices of bread
4 tbsp cooked rice, pasta, cous-cous, noodles or mashed potato
4 egg sized potatoes

It then says 3-4 servings a day and a note says remember to include a starchy food at each meal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you comment on this noting of course that every diagnosed t2 diabetic in Norfolk is issued with this booklet.

Please don't think I am trying to ignore or run down your helpful advice I am just trying to get it straight in my head and I will say that I value he advice of people with many, many years of experience over what a non diabetic dietician may be saying.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NHS dietary guidelines are based on low fat, high carb eating which is what got most of us here in first place. Although some healthcare professionals are slowly coming round to the realisation that as our carb intake has increased so too have our girths and diabetes levels, the party line is still to fill up on healthy carbs and keep low fat. I suggest you try leaving the recommended starchy portions out and replacing them with larger portions of leafy veg or salad for a start and seeing what effect this has on your BS levels. You might want to read the low carb section of the forum as it has plenty of tips, and advice. Also there's an interesting website by a Swedish doctor on LCHF diets. http://www.dietdoctor.com

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having just been in hospital and seen for myself the way diabetics are treated as for a recommended diet. The consultants and dieticians are changing and low GI diets, (low carbs) and smaller portions are recommended. Some diabetics have different conditions where they do have to eat carbs. The road to control is through testing what you can eat and experimenting with all types of foods. Don't be in a rush, these things take time.
Educate yourself by reading the forum and the scientific papers, they don't always agree.
I had to do a lot of research and convince myself that I had to change my intake to get where I am now.
I had to educate my family as well!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if the meds are working and your BG is low eating the carbs...then eat the carbs .
if you have high BG, you need less carbs, or more meds, it has to be one or the other.

mikej3252

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wonder if anyone would be good enough to look at the attached PDF and give me constructive criticism on it.
It is the last 5 days fairly comprehensively showing my levels and what I have eaten. I started it as I an feeling constantly fatigued just lately and thought it may be my sugar levels. After a few days I thought it might be the weetabix that was causing the high levels so today changed to muesli for breakfast but as you can se a couple of hours later it still seems too high to me.
I am considering trying to get to see the diabetic nurse at the surgery but my last Hba1c (about 3 weeks ago) was very good according to her, I don't know what the actual level was but she said I was doing very well as far as control went but personally I feel the figures on the attached do not support that idea.
I realise I am asking a lot but I would be very grateful for any comments.

T2 - Metformin 2x500gm at breakfast and 2x500gm at teatime - gliclazide 2x80gm at breakfast and 2x80gm at teatime = Humulin I 28 units at 16.00 daily

Hi JayCee6828. I agree with Bluetit1802, you seem to be eating far too much carbohydrate. It will probably be of benefit to you to have a word with your GP, and ask for an appointment to see a dietician, who can check your eating habits, and reccommend a new regime for you. they will give you literature on the best foods to eat and what to avoid.