Worried about hypo's

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am fortunate enough to have a freestyle Libre which gives me so much better insight of my BG levels and learned me a lot!
I now and then plug my reader in my computer to look at my levels with the Freestyle Libre and today I looked at the amount of hypo's over the last 2 weeks : 24!

Now I have to say that the sensor I'm using right now tends to slightly lower than the ones before so let's say I had 20 hypo's over the last 14 days...
None of them were severe ones though, I once went to 44 mg/dl according to my sensor but again, this one tends to exaggerate my hypo's so I think I actually was around 55 (which is still pretty low...)

The hypo's didn't actually effect my life to be far and I didn't pay much attention at them, it's actually only right now that I started to think about it but I just wanted to know if I should be worried ? I admit that I sometimes prefer to inject half a unit more to be sure I don't get high because I really don't like having high BG's.

The reason I'm doing this is mostly because I've always been told that hypo's don't really cause complications but hypers do!
To me hypo's are more dangerous on the moment you have the hypo than on long term, might me completely wrong though.
I would like to hear what you think!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Did you actually feel hypo? Did you get a reading from a blood testing meter to corroborate the freestyle libre results? The libre can under read drastically for some people (I actually stopped using it because it was telling me I was hypo when my blood sugars were completely normal). 20 hypos in 14 days is a lot, but I wouldn't trust the libre to be accurate on this.... (It is for some people, but not for others.)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oh, and to answer your actual question....

Hypos aren't great for your eyes (or to be accurate, quick changing blood sugars aren't great). Having said that, high blood sugars are probably worse.
They're (possibly, but this is very debatable) not great for your brain in the long term.
Some people lose their hypo awareness if they habitually run their sugars very low. This is the big one, as if you go too low a hypo can actually kill you (but only very rarely, it's more likely that you kill yourself by having an accident when hypo!).

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're having more than 3 hypos a week you are putting yourself at risk of losing hypo awareness.

I don't think it's entirely correct to say that hypos don't cause complications. There is a putative brain damage risk from frequent hypos.

For diabetic control you need to remember that the bottom line is just as important as the top line. Avoiding hypos is just as important as avoiding hypers.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
What targets did you set for Your Libre? It’ll record anything below the lowest parameter as a hypo so it may not be as bad as you think.

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Target is 72 - 158 mg/dl
You sure about that? Sometime when I'm at 68 but stable it won't alert me for a hypo?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Ah, mine doesn’t give hypo alerts, I use only the reader.