Worried and confused about treatment.

Type2Sue

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year after years of being close to the threshold and having had gestational diabetes over 20 years ago. I was put on a weight management programme - online - as the GP said she did not want to start medication as I 'was not a candidate' for medication. I lost a little weight on the weight management programme but not much. I walk 2-3 miles daily and don't have a car, but recently I have been feeling quite shaky and tired as if I've suddenly lost all my energy. I am concerned that I need medication but if I am not put on it by GP it could be bad in the long run for my health.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
recently I have been feeling quite shaky and tired as if I've suddenly lost all my energy. I am concerned that I need medication but if I am not put on it by GP it could be bad in the long run for my health

Hi

Probably best to get the shakiness and tiredness checked out, it could be completely unrelated to diabetes.

I also wonder what kind of eating plan you’ve been following on the ‘weight management programme’? Has it left you hungry? That could explain tiredness.

Has your GP run another HbA1c so you can see whether your blood sugars have improved? That’s more important than weight loss, certainly in the short term.

Perhaps if you post some examples of what you’ve been eating, others will be able to see if there are suggestions that could be made to tweak things.

Reactions: Higaomo and EllieM

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a meter? That would quickly establish what your blood glucose was doing in relation to these fatigue episodes. If they are indeed related it sounds more like a low than a high and diabetes medication is aimed at reducing levels so wouldn’t help. I’d second the question about what and how much you are eating in this effort to lose weight? Are you eating enough or starving yourself? If it’s the latter that is likely your answer. Most of us T2 in here eat low carb rather than low fat. Faster and more effective at reducing blood glucose, doesn’t leave you hungry or tired and almost always helps reduces weight as well.