Worried mum

rubybaby2

Hi
My daughter received a phone call from the hospital yesterday with regards to a fasting blood test she had a few days before. The nurse said she was diabetic her glucose levels were really high and she as to return to hospital on Monday for more tests.

I've been type 2 for 5 years so have the bs testing kit. So today we've kept a diary of my daughter's bs
I will try and keep this short as possible x
14.1 on waking (10am)
Drank a bottle of water
She didn't have breakfast but had lunch around 12, (with Apple crumble pudding)
Before lunch 14.9, +2 hours after finishing lunch was 20.2
Before tea 15.5 again +2 hours after 17.4.
Checked then approx 3 hours after this (No more food eaten) and they were 13.4
Drink wise she's drank water all day.
Really worried and cant sleep, my bs have never been this high.
My brother and his daughter are both type 1. There's also a lot of family members with type 2
Angry at myself for missing the symptoms, she's been very tired, mood swings, drinking a lot.
With bs like this is it safe to wait til Monday? Or should I take her sooner?
She's 20 years old

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that it is probably best to ring and get some specific medical advice. It never hurts to ask whether you need to go to a health care worker immediately or whether it can wait. No down side to asking and if they advise you that it can wait until Monday that may help both of you stress a bit less.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd say to take her to the local hospital right now as in a 20 year old those are Type 1 symptoms unfortunately and if so need insulin to treat them.

Good luck to her.

1113A%25204%2520Ts%2520campaign_update%2520A5%2520poster_digital_image.jpg

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I agree call 111. Do you have any way to test for ketones? Those levels with high ketones warrant an immediate trip to A&E.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your daughter shows all the symptoms of being T1. Before you go to the hospital, keep the carbs way down and keep testing. Perhaps get some ketone strips.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you've got some help for your girl?
Her blood sugars are high but for a type 1 they are not out of the ball park. She will probably need background insulin and ketone testing strips are a must to check she isn't producing these.
One thing you can do whether she is a t1 or t2 is feed her good proteins and green veggies and cut out the apple crumble! This would help you too obviously.
Keep a note of those blood sugars as they will help her doctors and nurses get the doses of insulin right initially too so it was great that you had those to hand.
I hope she feels better soon and its good she has au understanding mum on hand to support her through these changes.

Rimini

Hi
My daughter received a phone call from the hospital yesterday with regards to a fasting blood test she had a few days before. The nurse said she was diabetic her glucose levels were really high and she as to return to hospital on Monday for more tests.

I've been type 2 for 5 years so have the bs testing kit. So today we've kept a diary of my daughter's bs
I will try and keep this short as possible x
14.1 on waking (10am)
Drank a bottle of water
She didn't have breakfast but had lunch around 12, (with Apple crumble pudding)
Before lunch 14.9, +2 hours after finishing lunch was 20.2
Before tea 15.5 again +2 hours after 17.4.
Checked then approx 3 hours after this (No more food eaten) and they were 13.4
Drink wise she's drank water all day.
Really worried and cant sleep, my bs have never been this high.
My brother and his daughter are both type 1. There's also a lot of family members with type 2
Angry at myself for missing the symptoms, she's been very tired, mood swings, drinking a lot.
With bs like this is it safe to wait til Monday? Or should I take her sooner?
She's 20 years old

Hi my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in hospital last week when she was rushed into hospital with various symptoms which resulted her being in a DKA and was extremely poorly to the point they were unable to get an intravenous drip into her veins as they had all collapsed.
She spent 6 days in hospital and is now home. They started her on set insulin doses four times a day, however her BS is still extremely high. This was changed by the diabetic nurse yesterday and she is now carb counting and having insulin dose dependant on carb intake.
I know as a mom how bad I feel not to have seen the signs particularly how poorly she was. If I were you I would get her straight up to the hospital. Xx

rubybaby2

Hi thanks for all your replies, and sorry for taking so long to update.
So my daughter saw a diabetic nurse, we were told they are unsure which type of diabetes my daughter as but started her on metformin twice a day.

To give you some background history on my daughter.
In February my daughter banged her head in a car that was driving at speed. A visit to our local hospital and a ct scan carried out. All well with regards to banging her head however they did pick up that her pituitary gland was enlarged.
Following that she received a letter from the the diabetes and endocinology department basically stating they were going investigate why the gland is enlarged with various blood tests, mri scans etc

So fast forward 5 months, lots of blood tests and hormone tests, scans we finally get to see the consultant Friday.
Obviously during these tests the diabetes was picked up.

Baffled by the diabetes though. As stated in previous post we kept a dairy on daughter's blood sugars following the phone call my daughter had saying she was diabetic after having a fasting test done. When we met with the nurse, I was expecting my daughter to have the hba1c
Test and expecting the results to be high, however the nurse informed us that she had already had the test and it was average?? But the fasting test came bck with high glucose? I'm so confused. They took more bloods that day and said they would determine what type she was??
The metformin is definitely working though and her blood sugars are a lot better.

However (So sorry it's such a long post)
Hospital rang yesterday to say they want to do more fasting bloods before we see the consultant Friday and that from previous tests it's shows she as excess growth hormones.

So been looking for reasons to increased growth hormones and the only thing I can find is acromegaly which would also tie in the diabetes.
I'm hoping I'm wrong and way off course.
As anyone been diagnosed with diabetes and acromegaly on here or know more about it?
Thanks for reading xx

bookworm01

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @rubybaby2, I don't have acromegaly (actually the opposite, I have low IGF-1 and suspected hypopituitarism due to other pituitary hormone deficiencies too - awaiting growth hormone stimulation testing for confirmation).
You might find this paper helpful: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6043782/
It does appear that elevated blood glucose is a common finding with acromegaly and usually reverses/improves greatly with treatment for the cause of the excess growth hormone. So this could be considered 'induced' diabetes as opposed to the typical type 1 resulting from beta-cell reduction. I hope you get answers soon and in the meantime it would be good for her to minimise her carbohydrate intake as this should help bring down her high glucose.
Sometimes the HbA1c is normal despite high glucose throughout the day as it's a reflection of the past 3 months of glucose control and if her growth hormone has slowly increased over the last few months her glucose may only have recently risen above normal, hence the HbA1c might be higher than it would have been if tested a couple of months ago, but still within the normal range.