Type 1 Worried Newbie

farheen123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its been about 3 weeks now since I was diagnosed with type 1, it's been a rollercoaster but I tend to get overwhelmed at times. My diet is now very particular and sugar is off limits since my blood sugar tends to be 300-400 for now, which I'm very worried about. I have to inject insulin about 3 times a day for now.
Since I don't have any Type 1s around me I'm really freaked out, could you share your experiences from when you were first diagnosed and how you coped with it?
(Also, any tips for beating potato chip cravings?)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, welcome aboard the ship. it wasn’t easy for me either. I was diagnosed in 2001 and we had old insulins back then - mixtard 30. Oh it was horrible, strict routine no flexibility for snacks or extra food. Then in 2005-2006 I was introduced to basal bolus regime - novorapid and levemir. I was referred to see a dietitian at that time to learn carb counting. Which you should also get to grips with for the time being like I had to use the carbs and cals book or app. A dietitian will give you a ratio to work with. Then as time moved on for me, I was experiencing severe hypos at uni in 2013. Which wasn’t nice at all. Hospital offered me to do DAFNE in 2018 to regain control again, to also fine tune carb counting with stress, illnesses, exercises etc. Fast forward until this month, my consultant gave me a prescription for two different insulins - fiasp and tresiba, along with libre sensors to help me.
For potato chips, you can try making your own vegetable chips or compare it to potato chips in carbs. It might be a better option but might not be.
You are not alone, we are doing this together :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Eventually as a type 1, you can have potato chips if you want. But what is happening now is you probably are making some kind of insulin still, you won't make any at some point, but the trick is finding how much insulin you need right now and the fact that might change slowly or rapidly.

So it's a little bit of a trick, but once you learn it, it becomes pretty easy. I eat potato chips if I want to, I just dose my insulin appropriately for it.

300-400 is too high, but they start you off in low doses until they figure out what works. They don't want you to go too low, which is dangerous. So they go slowly. You can usually call them with numbers like that and they probably will tell you an adjustment. But make sure you are also testing plenty to get your patterns for them.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As you learn more about using insulin you will be able to eat sugar and chips if you want.
Injecting three times a day? What insulin are you on?