Worried of having diabetes

matrix123

Hello, I'm a newbie here (32 years). I'm worried of having diabetes and here's my story...
Since July of last year I've been constantly worried about my health. The first thing that got me worried was that in the middle of the night I woke up sweating, had palpitations and couldn't breath properly. I was scared of heart attack. After 1 month or so started to have tingling on my left forearm (usually in the same place). Some days I had it, some days not. Later some kind of weak muscle and numbness developed in the left arm (Nothing big, I could lift things the same as before, but worried me).
By the end of the year this episodes of sweating, palpitations and breath started again, mostly at night. I freak out again of hear attack and of dying. Since then it got worse...lost motivation at work, was constantly anxious/depressed, feeling tired, shakeness/tingling/numbess got worse, couldn't sleep properly, had episodes when I though I was going to faint, etc.
Finally, by mid of April I collapsed (couldn't go on any more like this) and went for a full check-up (blood/urine test, heart ultra-sound, EKG, abdominal ultra-sound, chest x-rays), pretty sure that something terrible would come out. To my surprise everything came back normal (except for a few minor things, where results were borderline or by very little out of range. Thyroid TSH was just under normal level, but the doc wasn't worried...said it could be caused by stress). The endocrinologist prescribed a medication for sleep/palpitations (Vagostabyl) and Xanax 0.25mg to take it only when feeling anxious.

I calmed down a bit, but now I'm worried of diabetes and numbess/tingling is back in my arms, body, a few days in my face also. The fasting glucose test I did was in the normal range, but very near the upper limit. However I have lost about 4kg in the last 3-4 months (dropped from 83 to 79) (during this time I haven't had the normal appetite, but have forced myself to eat more or less regularly (3 times a day)). Since I started googling (WRONG THING) I read read that weight loss, shakiness/numbess/tingling are symptoms of diabetes also. Another thing that's worrying me is that another symptom of diabetes was darkened skin in elbow, knees or neck. I checked carefully my body and noticed a small spot (a 4-5 mm) in my forearm but near the elbow (a few cm off) where the skin was more dark that the rest (nothing big, but noticeable) and I freaked out. I know that a fasting glucose test followed by a 2 hour check can exclude diabetes, but I'm so freaked out that can't go for a check. I read also that typical symptoms of diabetes are blurred vision, excessive thirst, feeling hungry and excessive urination which I don't have....however I can't get my mind clear :( I also read that usually diabetes start with the above symptoms and later numbness, tingling, shakeness, darkening of skin, etc are developed. Is it possible that the first symptoms are numbness, tingnling, shakeness, darkening of skin or it's my anxiety symptom that's driving my crazy?

Any response is appreciated. Thank you

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's really easy to rule diabetes out. Go see the Dr. - they'll put your mind at rest one way or the other...

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Hiya matrix (and welcome).

I'm not sure what you want to hear, but no-one here is going to be able to diagnose you as a diabetic. Even if we could, your GTT test should be fairly conclusive evidence that you are not a diabetic.

I would suggest that the things that you don't have "blurred vision, excessive thirst, feeling hungry and excessive urination" are tell-tale signs of diabetes, while the things that you do have "numbness and tingling in your arms, dark skin and shakiness" are not very common (at least in someone who is at best a borderline diabetic). Your BG would need to be way out of control for a long while before you got neuropathy.

I think that you're getting yourself into a stress about nothing. All you can do is make another appointment with your Doc, and tell her (him) about your concerns.

matrix123

Thank you borofergie for your reply. I know that talking to the doc is the best option, but I'm so scared :(

One more question...what is considered excessive weight loss in diabetes? 4 kg in 3-4 months can be considered excessive?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Matrix sorry to hear you are worried about stuff. I would suggest going back to the docs. Have you heard of CBT? You sound like you have some sort of anxiety problem, but only the GP will be able to help you. Please don't diagnose yourself.

matrix123

dawnmc said:
Hi Matrix sorry to hear you are worried about stuff. I would suggest going back to the docs. Have you heard of CBT? You sound like you have some sort of anxiety problem, but only the GP will be able to help you. Please don't diagnose yourself.

Yes I heard of CBT...and probably should be treated for anxiety disorder. However I'm much more worried about diabetes...another thing I failed to mention is that my triglycerides level was pretty normal. Can this exclude diabetes?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Go see your gp Matrix!