Worried of type 2

BTW29

When I checked my blood last month, the Hba1c was 56. So I was diagnosed type 2 and prescribed matfourmin.
When on the first week, I was alright on taken 1 x 500mg after breakfast and dinner. However, two weeks after, when I took 2x500mg after breakfast and dinner, I'm feeling unwell, very weak and tired. I don't have any knowledges about that illness.
Can anyone please advising information as the follows :
- Is it the Hba1c figure 56 are high and should take medication? The matfourmin seems not suitable for me.
- Can I lower my Hba1c level by self discipline through Diet and Exercise instead of taking matfourmin?
- Diabetes nurse said I don't need to check my blood sugar level anymore at home, it's that correct?
Thank you very much and all the best to everyone.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many of us have controlled t2 diabetes, or got into remission (back to normal blood sugar levels), by going low carb. There are several sites that can help, eg the lowcarbprogram or books by others such as Jason Fung.
It is your decision whether to take metformin, your doctor can only advise, but the side effects can be unpleasant and there are other options.
I, and many others, buy our own meters as how can you know if a low carb diet is working without it? At first I tested every morning and before plus 2 hours after every food to make sure I set my total carbs for the day at the right level. Then once my blood suagrs had fallen into the normal range I tested every time I had a new food, and once a week tested through the day.

Reactions: oldgreymare

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
When on the first week, I was alright on taken 1 x 500mg after breakfast and dinner. However, two weeks after, when I took 2x500mg after breakfast and dinner, I'm feeling unwell

That suggests that you would be fine taking the 500 mg twice a day.
You might be able to progress to 3 and then 4 tablets over time.
Talk to your health care team.
I would think that 2 * 500 mg might be better than nothing.

Also ask about slow release versions of Metformin which can help if you have a bad reaction to the standard ones.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The Slow Release (SR) version of Metformin might be better for you. Do ask the GP to swap you to that. An HBA1C of 56 isn't too bad. Yes, many T2s do control their BS though just a low-carb diet but Metformin also helps a bit so do both if you can. Exercise is always good.