Worried *updated in post 6

Delani

I had blod test in January and afterwards was asked to go for fasting blood as blood sugar was high. I have now had 3 fasting blood tests

February was 6.3
March was 7.4
This week was 7.9

My gp has not chcked his weeks result yet as she is n part time but when I asked receptionist told me this weeks results. My GP is in tomorrow and MAY get a chance to check them then. I am worried and wonder should I just wait on letter next week to see if I need another fasting blood test in another few months or try and get an appointment tomorrow. I do not want to waste an appointment tomorrow to be told all is ok. Just so worried.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Worried

I have now had 3 fasting blood tests

February was 6.3
March was 7.4
This week was 7.9

Just so worried.

Dear Delani,
I had a fasting blood test reading of 7.0 to help diagnose me. Have you not had an HbA1C, which gives a more accurate picture about your blood sugar levels ? This then, when checked every so often (3 or 6 or 12 months), shows what progress you're making. I only ever had the one fasting reading. Perhaps your GP was checking a number of varying readings before giving you a diagnosis of diabetes.
I would be surprised if that's not what she diagnoses.
But it's not a cause for worry, although I realise it's a major shock for some. I can remember my GP's face as she told, expecting me to react negatively, and I thought why are you looking at me like that for ?
If you're diagnosed you will learn how to take control of this condition, and I and others recognise our diagnosis as one of the best things to happen to us, a sort of wake-up call about our health.
We learn on this forum how to control our blood sugar levels, and find support from others.

So don't worry too much, although uncertainty is not a prescription for calm.
I'd wait, personally, and wait for your GP's response to the recent blood tests.

Your world won't come crashing down in a few days or so. Easy for me to say. Harder for you to do.
If you want to chase the surgery, feel free to do so.
With or without diabetes, you're ultimately the one in charge of your health and wellbeing.

Be well
Geoff

Grazer

Agree with all Geoff has said. Let us know your formal results when you get them, and don't get overly concerned

Delani

Thanks for replies. I did have the other levels ( sorry can't remember what they are caled, mentioned in second post ) checked in March and nurse said they were ok.

I know I should wait on gp t contact me but. Am going on holiday in less than 2 weeks so would like to know. :-(

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I did have the other levels checked in March and nurse said they were ok.

I would urge you to always ask what your exact results were. This is one way YOU can take control of your health.
What is one person's ok (HCP or not) may not be ok for you.
You can always pick up your test results on a future visit.

I made this mistake - my thyroid levels were checked, and reported to me as 'normal.'
When I rang back I found the exact number was within the NHS' current limits of normal.
Yet it was outside of the 'normal' limits proposed in 2003 by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.

Geoff

Grazer

librarising said:
When I rang back I found the exact number was within the NHS' current limits of normal.
Yet it was outside of the 'normal' limits proposed in 2003 by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.

Funny that eh? Same way that the NHS "target" for good BG control is outside of the limits proposed by that same association of Endocrinologists. Not that the NHS would be influenced in their thinking by an even higher %age of diabetics failing their targets if those targets were lowered.

Delani

update

seen gp this morning and she confirmed I have type 2. In a way I am relieved I can now learn to deal with it but I am also so upset. Emotions are all over the place.

GP has started me on Metformin and referring me to diabetic clinic. As I am going on holiday in 2 weeks I will not seen anyone until end of june. GP did give me some diet advice and said I will need to start Statins as well as chlorestal was a bit high but leaving that until june as well as I have other medical problems that the statins may make worse.

thanks again for replies

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
With Bg levels of just over 7, You should be able to get them down fairly easily. Metformin will help a bit, but it won't do the whole job. If your doctor has given you the conventional advice about eating low fat and lots of complex carbs, I'm sorry to say, it doesn't work very well. Since all carbs turn to blood glucose, eating loads of them is bound to put it up whether it be slowly or faster.
You'll also probably be told that measuring your own blood glucose isn't necessary. If so just ask how you are meant to know what is happening..
I would recommend getting hold of a meter.[don't go to a retail pharmacy. Go direct to the manufacturers or suppliers. the price will be much lower.
hen, if you don't already know, learn what a carb is and cut back hard on your intake. Checking blood glucose about twice a day, especially about 2 hours after your main meal, should tell you how you are coping. NORMAL blood glucose is around 5 and non-diabetics do't stray from that level very far or for very long. Damage starts to occur at about 7.8.
Look through this forum for advice to "newbies"
A warning about Metformin. It's a safe and helpful medicine, but tends to cause the tummy grumbles in some people.
Hana

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Same as me, just asking the people on here is great there helping me no end, and I have learned loads in the last week since being diagnosed, some things scary some positive, lots helpful, if your like me: you will also have up's and downs, but I imagine that is only natural. I had a big downer last night, we normally have a Chinese on Thursday Chicken fried rice, when I told missus I can't have one we were both bereft, then I nearly cracked up thinking I cannot have fish and chips ever again. amazing what makes us tick Ha Ha.

MaryJ

I don't particularly like sweet stuff - but I stick my head in the biscuit tin about once a week for a smell