Worried

Dippydolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 diabetic and my levels have crept up (I am struggling with stress ) I am on insulin and struggling to get the weight off but now seeing the headlines in the news I am so worried if I got the virus I wouldn’t make it as I am A overweight and B my levels are high

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Dippydolly Unfortunately headlines only serve to scare monger and create fear so are not good for your stress and anxiety levels, as long as you are practising your social distancing then worrying about an outcome that hasnt happened yet is not helpful for your mental state, try to turn off from news and continue to look after yourself.

Abcdefghijkl

I am type 2 diabetic and my levels have crept up (I am struggling with stress ) I am on insulin and struggling to get the weight off but now seeing the headlines in the news I am so worried if I got the virus I wouldn’t make it as I am A overweight and B my levels are high
I have same issues with anxiety. I always get high sugars from adrenaline causing the body to produce glucose in the liver. Then I try to correct with insulin but it rebounds cos doesn’t last like highs from too many carbs. I have to take Valium as soon as I start feeling anxious and tbh the covid pandemic has helped me with anxiety cos it’s easier to stay at home and use covid as an excuse rather than agoraphobia

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst not easy or a complete answer switching off from the news other than in limited measured doses helps anxiety. Doing what you can to preserve you health focuses anxiety in a positive direction and makes you feel more in control. This applies particularly to bgl control. You cannot directly control every aspect of this but you can some.

Eating too many carbohydrates will increase blood sugar and need for insulin in type 2 both of which make the underlying problem worse. Switching to a lower carb (not just sugar) will help enormously to lower bgl. As you are on insulin you need to monitor closely to make sure you don’t make changes too quickly and go too low or get a supportive dr to change medications to avoid the risk of hypo. Most type 2 going low carb will need their medication reducing or even stopping as they were set up for higher carb eating and needs changing alongside eating habits to stay matched safely.