Type 1 Worrying Blood Spike

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all, so earlier today I felt really hungry and injected so that I could eat something (only chicken noodles nothing exciting) and half hour afterwards I checked my bloods and they were 5, a couple hours later before my tea I’m checking them and they’re 20.4?! I tested twice to make sure and it came up with the same number! now I’ve injected to bring it down and am doing some exercises/drinking lots of water but I don’t know whether it’s safe to eat my tea or if this will make the bloods shoot up higher? this is very random ! Any help/advice would be great, not sure whether to eat my tea now or leave it for later x

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Noodles, pasta, rice all have a bad effect on my BG several hours after eating, despite me taking the right amount of insulin before eating them.

Try to get your BG down to less than 10 before eating your tea. It's less of a battle to fight then and you won't feel so rubbish with a high BG. Good luck.

I did not realise this! I’ve been eating noodles for a long time too, time to pack them in I think!

Thanks; they’re done to 15 now so within next hour should be down to 10, been running up & downstairs and all sorts trying to bring them down, it’s a nightmare isn’t it!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also if its a pre prepared noodle meal there is often a shedload of sugar in the sauce - Id be checking the ingredients list and nutritional information box if youve particularly if noodles have been ok up to now. If it was from a restaurant then Id be asking what else other than noodles and chicken were in the dish

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is indeed a nightmare but don't let it stop you eating noodles! My daughter loves chicken supernoodles. We've overcome the high BG they always cause by working out the amount of insulin she needs then she has half of the dose 20 minutes before she eats then the other half an hour after eating them. Give it a try, it might work for you too :)

Thank you for this I may try that! as I feel I’m injecting so much lately and big doses. I was so freaked out by the high BG I injected a lot and now I’m back to a normal level I’m scared to have a nap in case I go hypo, exhausting haha thank u x