Type 2 Worrying liver function test

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just had my second liver function test since I was diagnosed at Christmas. Liver function was completely normal in March, but now my bilirubin has gone up from 16 to 26umol. Everything else was normal. My ldl cholesterol has gone up slightly, not sure about blood sugar as I don't get that until Monday. Everything else normal. I've lost 20kg since diagnosis, and I'm 36. I'm on metformin and LCHF

Does this sound like fatty liver disease? I'm panicking quite a bit (have a tendency towards anxiety!)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had my second liver function test since I was diagnosed at Christmas. Liver function was completely normal in March, but now my bilirubin has gone up from 16 to 26umol. Everything else was normal. My ldl cholesterol has gone up slightly, not sure about blood sugar as I don't get that until Monday. Everything else normal. I've lost 20kg since diagnosis, and I'm 36. I'm on metformin and LCHF

Does this sound like fatty liver disease? I'm panicking quite a bit (have a tendency towards anxiety!)

Sequinn - Please don't worry about your blood test results; especially if you don't have all of them yet. One of the reasons your Doctor asks for a panel of tests, rather than one or two, is that our bodies are a bit like a car, in that one part depends on another, so interpreting blood results can be a bit like doing a jigsaw.

If I could just share with you one snippet. I've just looked back through my liver results (I record them all on a spreadsheet and have done, since diagnosis) and if I look at my own billirubin results, I'll just share my last 3:

upload_2016-9-17_16-37-0.png

As you can see, mine have varied too, and like you, I was concerned to see December's result (The amber cells are my way of highlighting anything on my results outside the stated normal range). It has reduced again this time around, with no changes to my eating or lifestyle, to right on the upper edge of range.

The only thing that had happened to me between the September and December tests was I had an operation (on one of my lady bumps, so not on my innards) in October, but I doubt that impacted it.

Just wait and see what your Doc says on Monday. Worrying won't help anything, and I'm sure you have better ways to use a Saturday. It would be good if you'd let us know how you get on.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Sequinn, what has your doctor said about it?

When I phone for results I am always told if there is anything that needs further investigation or if all is OK, a recent blood test showed my Bilirubin was slightly high (22 umol/L) and also my Vit B12 was very low 116 pg/mL (range 180 -1100).

I was asked to have another blood test 2 months later and the results came back showing the Bilirubin had dropped back to 18 umol/L but the Vit B12 had dropped further to 108 pg/mL.

I was told to make another appointment with my GP - made for early October when I expect to be given a course of B12 injections or possibly tablets to hopefully bring my levels back up.

So dont worry about a single blip, and as AndBreathes has shown these things can and do go up and down.

Congratulations on your great weight loss by the way thats terrific, you must feel good about that and rightly so, so stop worrying and give yourself a pat on the back, if there is anything that needs further investigation your doctor will let you know.