Worrying signs? Urine dipped at GP

Hello

Ive had some worry signs.
Peeing all the time
Exhausted
Headache
Thirsty and
Genital itching.

Ive been to the gp who dipped my urine. No glucose but there was ketones and leukocytes. Ive got to go back for fasting bloods this morning.

This has all happened very quickly. Is it likely to be t1?
I had gd with my last pregnancy and i have pcos which I beleive bumps up my risk?

Thank you

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I can only talk of personal experience, but everyone is different. On diagnosis, I had both high blood sugar and high ketones. It's my understanding that if you were to be type 1 then you'd more than likley have both of these at the same time.

Think positive and let us know how the rest of the tests go. And try not to worry!

Good luck:)

Grant

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that gestational preg and PCOS bump up your odds of T2 not T1.

Good luck with the tests.
And if you do get diagnosed with T2, then... um... how can I say this... :) if your doc/nurse start telling you to stuff yourself with carbs at every meal, then nod, smile, and come here for dietary advice. It was following that silly NHS high carb advice that got most of us T2s into this boat! lol.

Reactions: 4 people
Thanks for your replies. 4 bottles of blood lighter!
I tested my own bs with my meter before i went to the gp and it was 5.6 fasting. I still have leukocytes and ketones in my urine.
My blood results will be back either friday or monday. Fingers crossed!!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tested my own bs with my meter before i went to the gp and it was 5.6 fasting. I still have leukocytes and ketones in my urine.

I'm sure everything will be fine!

I think it's possible to go into ketosis naturally if your body is burning fat reserves rather than food you have recently eaten.

Has your diet changed recently? A lower carb intake would have your body burning fat as an alternative energy source. Or have you increased your exercise/activity level noticeably?

Good luck, don't let the waiting ruin your weekend though:)

Grant

Some of my bloods came back
Normal liver, kidney and thyroid function-no action
hbc1a normal-no action
Im still waiting for my fasting blood results.

Im thinking it looks unlikely that I'll hear a diabetes diagnosis if my hbc1a is normal?
But
I am exhausted. My eyes ache from exhaustion, my body aches my head hurts and I feel nauseous. So I'm really anxious to find out what is wrong with me. I am just feeling so unwell.

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am no Doctor by any means but Leukocytes normally indicate UTI or inflammation. Urinary tract infection can make you feel really ill, especially if ur pregnant. I think GrantGam1337 makes a really good point about the ketones may be due to diet. Are u eating enough?

Brunneria is spot on about the advice many of us have been given following diagnosis

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was going to suggest a urinary infection too.

That wouldn't explain the ketones but if they were mild, it could be what are often referred to as 'starvation ketones' - ie you may not have eaten much/enough carbs.

I see you've listed some results above. Were any tests done for a UTI? I can't remember exactly what those tests would be, but I had a bad UTI once and felt too ill to get out of bed, so they can be really horrible.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
A little over 12 months ago I was suffering the same symptoms, but only after eating a high carb meal. An hour or so after eating I would become very thirsty, tired and nauseous etc. I tested my urine at home and found a moderate amount of ketones but no glucose. After a good drink of water, the ketones would soon disappear. I went to the Docs and he did all the usual tests that you've had done. All normal including hba1c. Long story short, I was eventually referred to an Endo who did a standard GTT. The first test put me in the diabetic range after two hours and I hypo'd in the car on the way home. As the diabetic diagnosis didn't make sense in my case, the GTT was repeated but this time the prolonged version. This test put me in the pre-diabetic range but confirmed a diagnosis of reactive Hypoglycemia. They never got to the bottom of the ketones but were probably the result of the fast, high spike commonly seen with RH.

If the starvation theory doesn't fit for you (as it didn't for me) then I would request a GTT.

Leukocytes can indicate a UTI but can also be present for other reasons, particularly if you're female (your sample can be contaminated with other things). Nitrites are more indicative of UTI I believe, but hopefully your GP has sent your sample to the lab for testing.

Sorry for the long post, but my problems started just like yours and it confused the hell out of my GP. It was only my persistence that got me a referral and diagnosis.

I hope you get to the bottom of things.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a urinary tract infection (UTI). I had these symptoms when I caught Candida albicans (Thrush). The leukocites show an infection is present. The lack of glucose in wee, and your bgl test would indicate that the ketones are probably not due to runaway glucose, but check the web for symptoms of DKA just to be safe, So probably not the T1D you fear. but that needs to be comfirmed by GP. Did you see what colour the ketones indicator changed to? Deep purple on my stix indicate a high level, but this could still be just dietary ketosis, not DKA (which has other symptoms as I suggested above)

Thank you all for your replies.
My urine was sent for culture but no infection shown.
I am female and understand the chances of false positive because of cross contamination. Im.not sure if this is the case but will be asking gp to dip for the 3rd time to check. I'll also be getting the rest of my test results back.
Today i am really suffering i have such a sore head its affecting my ability to function. Im so Thirsty bur nauseous so im afraid to drink too much incase im sick.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add,
Surely if it was dka wouldn't I be in bigger trouble than I am now? As in sicker?

DKA is a direct result of high blood sugar. The amount of ketones produced as a result would be dangerous and leave you feeling worse than you've probably ever felt before.

Ketones are normal providing BGL's are stable and they're within a safe range: I think <3mmol/L?

I wouldn't worry about the DKA:)

Grant

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DKA is a direct result of high blood sugar. The amount of ketones produced as a result would be dangerous and leave you feeling worse than you've probably ever felt before.

Ketones are normal providing BGL's are stable and they're within a safe range: I think <3mmol/L?

I wouldn't worry about the DKA:)

Grant
Dietary ketones when in keto and exercising can reach 5mmol./L without worry. but test sticks do not give a value as such, just a hue. However there seems to be no infection detected.

I have just this minute got back from my GP who has confirmed deep UTI in me, so I am on a course of antibiotics today. Leukocites may not be UTI but still indicate some infection somewhere if the hue change indicated a high value, since leukocites are dead white bloodcells. One other possibility is apparently pregnancy.

The sore head is unusual. It could be due to dehydration esp if you are peeing a lot more frequently but not drinking to replace it. Also a possibly a lack of sodium due to same reason, but also possible if following LC type of diet.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you taken any pre and post meal readings with your glucose monitor to see if you're spiking high after eating? Are your symptoms present all the time or after eating?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you @Kaz261?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app