Worst night ever

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So yesterday during the day I struggled with highs and spikes when I ate, which I eventually decided was a pump problem. I had managed to keep my numbers relatively safe all day using exercise, and once I changed my site I started to come down. However, what I didn't realise is that I must have had some problem with absorption at the previous site - the insulin I gave was in my body, but just hadn't started working yet. So around 7pm my blood sugars started to come down. I didn't know it then, but this was the start of my earlier boluses finally being absorbed.

For the next few hours, my blood sugar would NOT go up. It remained in the 5's/low 6's despite continually drinking juice boxes. I think I must have had about 200g carbs total hypo treatment. I drunk so much juice that about halfway through my marathon drinking session I started vomiting up the juice I just had since my stomach couldn't cope with so much fluid. It was so gross, I even vomited through my nose. As soon as I finished I had to start drinking juice again. I was so scared that I would get lower and wouldn't be able to keep anything down. My legs shook violently the whole time, it was very scary. I kept asking my mum if it meant I was going to have a seizure and if I was ok, she told me it was just anxiety. But worrying about my legs made the anxiety worse which made them shake worse and so on.

Finally I got high, so I bolused conservatively and slept a bit. After a while my blood sugars came back down and were surprisingly excellent (5's-6's) in the early hours of the morning, meaning that at least I could get some decent rest.

Reactions: WheelyFun

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So yesterday during the day I struggled with highs and spikes when I ate, which I eventually decided was a pump problem. I had managed to keep my numbers relatively safe all day using exercise, and once I changed my site I started to come down. However, what I didn't realise is that I must have had some problem with absorption at the previous site - the insulin I gave was in my body, but just hadn't started working yet. So around 7pm my blood sugars started to come down. I didn't know it then, but this was the start of my earlier boluses finally being absorbed.

For the next few hours, my blood sugar would NOT go up. It remained in the 5's/low 6's despite continually drinking juice boxes. I think I must have had about 200g carbs total hypo treatment. I drunk so much juice that about halfway through my marathon drinking session I started vomiting up the juice I just had since my stomach couldn't cope with so much fluid. It was so gross, I even vomited through my nose. As soon as I finished I had to start drinking juice again. I was so scared that I would get lower and wouldn't be able to keep anything down. My legs shook violently the whole time, it was very scary. I kept asking my mum if it meant I was going to have a seizure and if I was ok, she told me it was just anxiety. But worrying about my legs made the anxiety worse which made them shake worse and so on.

Finally I got high, so I bolused conservatively and slept a bit. After a while my blood sugars came back down and were surprisingly excellent (5's-6's) in the early hours of the morning, meaning that at least I could get some decent rest.

That sounds awful! Poor you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Struma

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@phdiabetic what a nightmare, I hope your feeling ok today ? Did you detect a lump at your cannula site ? Might be worth reporting this to your Dsn and getting your sites checked as it’s not something you would like a repeat of.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@phdiabetic what a nightmare, I hope your feeling ok today ? Did you detect a lump at your cannula site ? Might be worth reporting this to your Dsn and getting your sites checked as it’s not something you would like a repeat of.

Unfortunately not ok, similar things happened today (not as much juice needed, so luckily no vomiting)! I'm thinking it's not an absorption issue then, but what else could it be?? I have had a doctor examine my bottom, concluded there was no damage anywhere. Other than this I am in good health. I haven't made any changes to my routine (apart from in reaction to the uncontrollable blood sugars). I have no idea what's happening and I'm scared.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Sounds completely horrid, poor you!
I agree, it’s something you probably need to see your DSN about - it’s frightening for you.
Are there any hypo treatments you’ve tried that don’t lead to such an awful reaction, we’re you able to eat anything? I know they’re the Dafne favourite, and sometimes mocked, but jelly babies aren’t bad.
Hope today goes well.

Reactions: phdiabetic

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds completely horrid, poor you!
I agree, it’s something you probably need to see your DSN about - it’s frightening for you.
Are there any hypo treatments you’ve tried that don’t lead to such an awful reaction, we’re you able to eat anything? I know they’re the Dafne favourite, and sometimes mocked, but jelly babies aren’t bad.
Hope today goes well.

Good idea. My mum said I could just put some lollies in my mouth and suck on them if I wanted, I didn't have to swallow. But the thought of anything made me want to vomit. I just stuck with the juice since it was quickest acting.

LocoRoco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Phdiabetic,

I hope everything is better now .

With the excercise . My body reacts to it like this :
1. I usualy grab 10 carb snack before 1 hour excercise to fuel it .
2. 4-5 hours after excercise my blood glucose levels tend to go drastically down . I usually eat a bit more carbs and inject a bit less insulin . Your body is fueling up your exhausted muscles .
3. 24-48 hours after excercise my body still demands a bit more carbs so I usually give 5g more carbs each main meal troughout the day .

But every body is different .

Was it some intense excercise you were doing ? Were you very exhausted ?
If so . That could be the explanation .

PS : Few days ago I came back from gym at 9 p.m. with 9,8mmol , had a little 10g carbs snack . And morning readings were 4,7mmol . Btw the bolus wasnt active that much anymore cause I injected at 16:30 - acts for 4-5 hours .

Get well soon and have a beatiful Sunday :)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Phdiabetic,

I hope everything is better now .

With the excercise . My body reacts to it like this :
1. I usualy grab 10 carb snack before 1 hour excercise to fuel it .
2. 4-5 hours after excercise my blood glucose levels tend to go drastically down . I usually eat a bit more carbs and inject a bit less insulin . Your body is fueling up your exhausted muscles .
3. 24-48 hours after excercise my body still demands a bit more carbs so I usually give 5g more carbs each main meal troughout the day .

But every body is different .

Was it some intense excercise you were doing ? Were you very exhausted ?
If so . That could be the explanation .

PS : Few days ago I came back from gym at 9 p.m. with 9,8mmol , had a little 10g carbs snack . And morning readings were 4,7mmol . Btw the bolus wasnt active that much anymore cause I injected at 16:30 - acts for 4-5 hours .

Get well soon and have a beatiful Sunday :)

Thank you, I seem to have improved significantly today so fingers crossed it's all over.

I did do more exercise than usual, but nothing particularly intense or exhausting - just a bit more walking than usual. As my numbers were not low later in the night I doubt the exercise caused the problem, since that would probably have lead to lows throughout the night (As you mentioned, exercise can affect you up to 24-48 hours later). However, if it was an absorption issue, exercise may have exacerbated it since walking affects the bottom (the place where my pump is).

It's interesting to see the various numbers that you got!