Would like to go low carb but need help

Deano_uk

Hi everyone,
I've tried low carb before with some success but could do with some help to get me prepared to try again.
Has anyone got a food diary containing what they eat in a typical week for each week so I can get a better idea of what kinds of things to get for meals.

I know there are loads of recipes around but I would really love to get some real world examples from people who are doing this sucessfully to help me understand if this is a diet I can make work for me.

Any help appreciated.

Deano

VickiT11979

Hi Deano,

How low carb do you want to be?
I've been recording most things I eat & their carb values to work out my insulin dose, but I don't usually add it up. I'm sure it's less than 100g a day, some days a lot less & sometimes (if I have a takeaway) reaching 100g.

Yesterday:
Breakfast, 40g All Bran with milk, 26g carbs.
Lunch, salad box from sandwich shop near work - lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion & a big roast chicken breast. Served with rice - I only had 1 spoonful. About 12g carbs.
Tea, 3 roast chicken legs, cabbage, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower mash with butter, creme fraiche & cheese in it, weight watchers yoghurt, square dark choc. 27g carbs.

I had milk in tea & coffee & snacked on cheese before bed, oh, and had vodka & low sugar cranberry juice in the evening, 8g carbs.

Is this too much detail?
I can look back & do a week of meals, but not every day is perfect - I'm a bit scared to say you should eat the same!
I don't try to limit fat, but don't actually aim to eat high fat either.

Vicki

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Viv's modified Atkins diet gives a good idea of what to eat, put it in the search box on here and it'll come up.

Deano_uk

Vicki - that was perfect thanks for posting that, I'm going to aim for between 70-100g per day to start off with and then see what effect it has on my BG.

Serena - Off to check for viv's diet now, mant thanks.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm T2 using low carb to keep bgs down. I eat very litle carb
here are some examples. Note I eat 1 main meal per day and not much at any time.
Breakfast 1] Scrambled egg with cream and butter done in the microwave.
2] 2 x crispy streaky bacon and a fried egg
3] if in a hurry- a small chunk of cheese

Lunch 1] half an avocado with mayo or worcester sauce
2] a low carb cracker with bacon and liver spreading pate [large dollop!] Only Tescos seem to do this product nowadays
3]cup of Marmite Boullion
4] green salad with quiche..ish [ I've posted the recipe]

Dinner 1] Quiche.. ish with salad
2] cauliflower cheese with crispy bacon on top
3] low carb sausages [read labels] and green veggies
4] home made veggie soup sometimes with bockwurst [German sausages tend to be very low carb]
5] Steak with all the trimmings even a couple of small new potatoes.
Desserts are rare,
I hope this small sample helps
Hana