JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Cattle are efficient in turning grass (cereal) into a lot of products.

Great meat from the right breed.
Milk into a shipload of dairy products.
Hides into leather shoes, furniture and car seat covers.
Blood and bone into one of the best fertilisers going to get the grass growing.

Rinse and repeat...

And of course the milk is used to produce whey the whey fed to bacteria from which they produce vitamin B12 supplements for the vegetarians and vegans to take so they don't have to eat meat to maintain health.

Edited to make more sense if it does that is

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
*Except for locusts. I draw the line at insects, no matter how nutritious.

Seems reasonable & bugs are a lot easier to avoid if you don't eat processed foods :) Packaged food eating vegans probably eat quite a lot of them.

D

Deleted member 308541

And of course the milk is used to produce whey the whey fed to bacteria from which they produce vitamin B12 supplements for the vegetarians and vegans to take so they don't have to eat meat to maintain health.

Edited to make more sense if it does that is
I forgot about whey, I watched a reality farm show River Cottage where they gave whey to the pigs to get them going.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cattle are efficient in turning grass (cereal) into a lot of products.

Great meat from the right breed.
Milk into a shipload of dairy products.
Hides into leather shoes, furniture and car seat covers.
Blood and bone into one of the best fertilisers going to get the grass growing.

Rinse and repeat...

This actually raises another question.. Let's hypothetically say everyone chose to go vegan or vegitarian..
Would livestock wind up on the "endangered species list??"

OK, maybe fish stocks would increase along with anything other than humans that prey on them.

But cows? Pigs? Chickens? Lamb? Lol, not forgetting goat & moose. (I've eaten them.) Surely the price of milk, eggs & wool even dog food would rise (though my dog is very partial to fish.) as more & more breeder say there just isn't any more industry... What's the point!?! Everybody's saying, "if it has a face, I ain't touching it."

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And that is exactly my attitude*.
With a second lesser guideline that I will avoid foods that I am convinced will harm my health.

*Except for locusts. I draw the line at insects, no matter how nutritious.
Insects are one of the few animals I *can* eat, and I do quite often. Nicely spiced, locusts make fantastic snacks!

D

Deleted member 308541

Let's hypothetically say everyone chose to go vegan or vegitarian..
Would livestock wind up on the "endangered species list??"

The Australian cattle herd was 26.2 million head at 30 June 2017, if they all passed wind at once it will hopefully knock the world of it's axis and vegans will be a extinct species never to be seen again. :meh:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Insects are one of the few animals I *can* eat, and I do quite often. Nicely spiced, locusts make fantastic snacks!
What do locusts live on? Crops and grass. Having lived in N Africa and witnessed them swarming, then I suggest that using them as a food source for humanity requires a lot of feed crops just for them, They can strip a field in minutes. If I was given a bush tucker trial I would choose the bush, nuff said.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I know vegans think so as it is the source of the B12 supplements along with the fermentation process of bacteria as bacteria are not classed as animals they don't matter.
But vegans decry honey because it is animal produce so how come ruminant output suddenly becomes acceptable?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I know vegans think so as it is the source of the B12 supplements along with the fermentation process of bacteria as bacteria are not classed as animals they don't matter.

You may need to ask a Jain on that matter...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As it is an animal by product, I would assume it is not vegan.

So are witchetty grubs, they are not bad raw as well.
Is an ant farm vegan if it supplies snacks in aspic or chocolate? Or is that exploitation and cruelty?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do locusts live on? Crops and grass. Having lived in N Africa and witnessed them swarming, then I suggest that using them as a food source for humanity requires a lot of feed crops just for them, They can strip a field in minutes. If I was given a bush tucker trial I would choose the bush, nuff said.

But with a cow. It's protein... I'm no scientist. But hasn't the cow taken to the sweet grass & chomped it's job for us?
Assuming the grasshopper has done simalar.. It's cut out the "middleman.." :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is one thing I have never really been able to get straight, is the ethical opposition to meat eating about the meat it's self or the means of production.

If a cow drops dead of old age is it OK to eat it apart from it would not be particularly appetising or is road kill ethically ok as the animal has not been killed for food I know Siddhārtha Gautama thought so as he instructed his followers that as long as an animal had not been slaughtered expressly to provide them a meal it was OK to eat it..

D

Deleted member 308541

Is an ant farm vegan if it supplies snacks in aspic or chocolate? Or is that exploitation and cruelty?
Green ants are a favourite with indigenous people here in Australia and form part of their diet.

If a cow drops dead of old age is it OK to eat it apart from it would not be particularly appetising or is road kill ethically ok as the animal has not been killed for food I
Nothing wrong with fresh road kill if your hungry.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely not, meat is an essential part of a well balanced diet - much more so for those of us who have problems with Carbohydrates. Vegans and vegetarians have WAY TOO MUCH influence. Never in a million years would I give up meat and animal products, they are the most natural things we eat!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is one thing I have never really been able to get straight, is the ethical opposition to meat eating about the meat it's self or the means of production.

If a cow drops dead of old age is it OK to eat it apart from it would not be particularly appetising or is road kill ethically ok as the animal has not been killed for food I know Siddhārtha Gautama thought so as he instructed his followers that as long as an animal had not been slaughtered expressly to provide them a meal it was OK to eat it..

Hmmm. Isn't that how scavengers like vultures & Hyenas operate.. They still seem bully & muscle in on the corpse.. (Out of necessity.) "Survival of the fittest." But I suppose that's what separates us from the "beasts."
Humanity has self awairness we choose a little bit quicker due to our bespoke condition what works for us..
We've devised tools. A meter or a CGM to aid us all quickly adapt & survive.. As far as I know in the production of these BG testing kits, no animal was harmed during the process.... ;)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Once worked in a large company with a big mouthed opinionated Yank in another department who insisted his staff eat vegan.. I would buy the poor souls meat pies and sausage rolls for morning tea from time to time and it sent him into white hot rages. His staff (almost 100% female) were scared of him ... I wasn't.

Loved baiting him

Reactions: Guzzler
Status
Not open for further replies.