Would you take a cure if it became available? Curious?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a Japanese kids show in the late 1970s called Monkey. It follows the tale of a pilgrimage of a priest & three supernatural spirits. The Monkey spirit is a bit of a miscreant controlled with a headband which the priest can tighten through prayer when Monkey steps out of line.

In one episode, the Monkey is released by the priest from his bond by removing the headband. (which by today's standard would be an ASBO tag.) :D
The monkey at a loss regarding the headband & the priest controlling it acting as his "conscience" loses direction.
After pretty much going on a "bender" with his new found care free life.
The mischievous spirit ultimately returns to the priest & his journey with the others after realizing a part of his life is missing.

I was a thinker as a kid.. Even back then if they found a cure? I would have no idea how to handle it...

A cure,since i was a kid in the 70s. Just like the pilgrims "destination" in the TV show as i waited for the next episode, has always seemed just over the next horizon.... ;)
Ooh I used to love Monkey! Happy childhood memories:D

Reactions: 2 people

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooh I used to love Monkey! Happy childhood memories:D

Reading this thread it seems to me that we all see ourselves differently. I am a female who happens to have Type 1 Diabetes, NOT a "Diabetic" who happens to be a female.
Ask anyone with a chronic condition if they would rather not have it and guess the answer!!

Reactions: 4 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I would love a cure for T1 assuming there are no side affects. I would be concerned that I may slip back into lazy ways and lose my motivation for daily exercise. I'd also be worried that the 'cure' didn't work effectively and want to continue to monitor blood sugar levels.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would definitely sign up for a cure - it's coming in 1988 according to my Doctor on my diagnosis in 1978.

Reactions: 6 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love this post!! I often deliberate this question. My diabetes personally saved me in so many ways yet hinders things to. I have dyslexia and I've always said If I had a choose between the two for a cure is pick dyslexia! Because I can't explain how frustrating the struggle to write is. I think diabetes wise I think although some won't agree and that's cool I think I'd grieve quite heavy if it went. Not saying I wouldn't do it but emotionally I think I'd struggle as it's been a good friend and a pain

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think of my diabetes a little like the film stuck on you that's it's been a rhythm for to long it would need adjustment back to life with a body that may no longer need such support

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would definitely sign up for a cure - it's coming in 1988 according to my Doctor on my diagnosis in 1978.

Please share; my Dr obviously hasn't got it although as I have never actually seen him he may have but doesn't know I exist!!!! I am a recently diagnosed T2 so to be able to eat more normally again wolud be great.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Oh yes. Without a moment's hesitation. You're right tho, it would take a lot of getting used to, but in a good way. I've been type 1 for 35 years. It's been a big part of my life for a long time but I would be soooooooooo pleased to have the freedom a cure would give. Just imagine eating what you like, when you like without a second thought! Or not eating at all. And that's the superficial stuff really. The worry of complications and health problems related to diabetes - gone! So, oh yes! Yes please!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oh yes. Without a moment's hesitation. You're right tho, it would take a lot of getting used to, but in a good way. I've been type 1 for 35 years. It's been a big part of my life for a long time but I would be soooooooooo pleased to have the freedom a cure would give. Just imagine eating what you like, when you like without a second thought! Or not eating at all. And that's the superficial stuff really. The worry of complications and health problems related to diabetes - gone! So, oh yes! Yes please!

..............and not thinking about 'when to tell' a 'date' or a potential employer, the list is endless.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What would people miss if they had a successful cure I wonder? If anything

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What would people miss if they had a successful cure I wonder? If anything

Some wonderful friends and members on here.<3
I would rename it:-
(THE USED TO HAVE ) DIABETES FORUM :) and we could still moan about when we had diabetes.......... :D

Reactions: 8 people

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
same for me - diagnosed beginning of 1980, told to just hang in there and keep good control as a cure would be within 10 years.....

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no cure for me, bar pancreas transplant. I had an episode of acute severe pancreatitis which destroyed my pancreas. Good luck to everyone else in getting a cure.

Scotty84

For me I keep thinking about the 28 years I had without diabetes and without the worry. Diabetes has made me very resentful and angry. If a cure came out I'd take it but I think I would still check my BG every day or so

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For me I keep thinking about the 28 years I had without diabetes and without the worry. Diabetes has made me very resentful and angry. If a cure came out I'd take it but I think I would still check my BG every day or so

My Ex left me with two children to care for, I became ill with suspected Colitis and then with type 1, diagnosed hundreds of miles away from home and a week in hospital. It's just life I'm afraid, but you know what, the more I get knocked down by life and diabetes, the more I fight back. I had 31 years without diabetes, my little granddaughter only had 2 1/2 years without diabetes. so we have to keep on kicking diabetes' butt.
Give up, give in or give everything.
Take care RRB.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I used to say no as I would not know how not to be diabetic but now I firmly say yes. I spent three years on the shelf, unfit for work or education or walking around the block of my own house because of this disease. The damage it has done to my immune system and the triggers it has set for other ailments can never be undone. I've lost enough to it. I still say I'm a person with diabetes and it doesn't have me but it has TAKEN from me so yes, I'd take the cure. It would be terrifying but I would have to try. As it happens I find it all hypothetical. I think if the cure comes it will be for those newly diagnosed while those with more years on them will have longer to wait.

Bethanee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always thought of it this way: I've been diabetic for just under 7 years. When I was first diagnosed, it was absolute hell. Now, I'm fine. I'm used to my diabetes and yeah it's a pain but I can deal with it without too much of a fuss.

If they find a cure, I'm gonna assume there will be a waiting list. At 12 years old, I would have done anything to have my diabetes taken away. If I put myself on the waiting list for the cure, I'm taking that cure away from a 12 year old girl. That's not fair. I'd much rather she had it.

Just seems logical. I'm coping fine. Newly diagnosed children do not.

If however there was no waiting list then hell yeah I'd take it!

nicolarse01

I have been diabetic for 24years in Jan. Would I take a cure......yes I definately would. But....I'd probably still stick to sugar free juice and the healthier eating though.