Wow confusion or just stupid??

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was sent to see a dietician yesterday and her advice.......i must....MUST...eat at least 200grm of carbs a day minimum......go figure!!!!!

Reactions: Mommaof2

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
knock off a nought and have 20g of carbs a day and I will agree with her .. 200 way to many in my book

Reactions: Granny_grump_

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Was sent to see a dietician yesterday and her advice.......i must....MUST...eat at least 200grm of carbs a day minimum......go figure!!!!!
Hi @xtessa1x .. well that's good news, I bet you were thrilled.
After a "less than ideal" first appointment with my Doc, I have my appointment with the dietician next week. Now I'm really looking forward to it. I guess I may need to apply my HCP coping mantra again ..
# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore​
But it may be great .. who knows :D:D

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is 800 kCal/day ie. a 40% carb intake for a 2000 kCal/day diet.
Are you trying to mantain you weight or need to lose some?

Seems to me that the calculation was made for a maintenance diet for a man or tall woman based on a calorie limite diet.

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is 800 kCal/day ie. a 40% carb intake for a 2000 kCal/day diet.
Are you trying to mantain you weight or need to lose some?

Seems to me that the calculation was made for a maintenance diet for a man or tall woman based on a calorie limite diet.
Lol I am 5ft stood on a box and about 2.5 stone overweight

jd58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low fat and carbs
Dieticians follow dietry guidlines not lchf or relevant diet for diabetics and out of touch with recent research that has shown the dietry guidlines to be the wrong way around.

Reactions: Mommaof2

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dieticians follow dietry guidlines not lchf or relevant diet for diabetics and out of touch with recent research that has shown the dietry guidlines to be the wrong way around.
Yes they do for sure. My DB Nurse said that reference to this forum and suggestion I do my own research into LC diet to be "off the record". You would think that spending so much time and effort on strategies that predominantly don't work on many people and then only responding by providing extra and different advice when their illness progresses to a given point, would have indicated that a different approach to dietary advice is required. Maybe changing their minds leads too many doors open to litigation??

Reactions: AM1874

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I know from experience that too many cabs are not good for me so I am having 50-70 grams and trying to split them over 3 meals will try to get them down further but going to it slowly and being put on insulin. So don't want hypos

Reactions: Mommaof2 and AM1874

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes many Dieticians have been ordered not to recommend LCHF diet.I recently spoke to a hospital consultant a so called expert on Diabetics and challenged her about this attitude to LCHF diets. Apparently the concern is that the high fat element of the diet may lead to heart disease. I asked if it was totally beyond them to come up with a low carb high protein diet. And was told this was not under consideration. Why on earth do they continue to to deny this option instead of pumping people full of drugs.
Would it be wrong of me to wonder just how strong the drug company lobby is!!!

Reactions: Mommaof2 and AM1874

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AM1874 I like your approach. I used to have a really nice diabetic nurse who I got on with really well. But our conversations were like train lines . She would talk about eating carbs and I would smile and ignore. Then I would talk about L chef and she would smile and say it's not what we would recommend. It was all very pleasant but we did not connect lol :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is that the Atkins diet was developed to treat patients with cardiovascular problems - not for weight loss.

The connection between fat and heart disease was from research done on rabbits - the same trials on other animals which are not herbivores did not back up the findings - and the low fat diet advice sparked off an avalanche of obesity and health problems.
If anyone paid attention it might even be discovered that a certain amount of fat is good for us. It is certainly a required food. We can live on a diet of protein and fat, quite happily - carbohydrate is not an essential component of our diets.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I know from experience that too many cabs are not good for me so I am having 50-70 grams and trying to split them over 3 meals will try to get them down further but going to it slowly and being put on insulin. So don't want hypos

Your dietitian needs a change of job, quickly. Is it any wonder type 2 is regarded as a progressive disease.

Why do you think you will hypo? Metformin doesn't normally cause this and your liver should be able to prevent it. Some have had a hypo on Metformin, but it is very rare without some element of reactive hypoglyceamia going on.

Can you manage that many carbs at breakfast time? Many of us with insulin resistance or dawn phenomenon sufferers find a zero carb, or almost zero carb breakfast works best. It is normally best to increase the carbs meal by meal, having the most of your allowance for evening meal.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol I am 5ft stood on a box and about 2.5 stone overweight
I think if you're trying to lose weight you should go do a 1500 kCal/day diet that roughly translates to a 150 g/day of carbs for a sedentary person. (Discaimer: I am an engineer not a doctor, and normally make back-of-the-envelope guesstimation - the grams of carbs = calories/10 is one of them)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am an engineer not a doctor, and normally make back-of-the-envelope guesstimation - the grams of carbs = calories/10 is one of them
I am also an engineer but I have no idea what this calculation is based on?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm pretty sure 1 g of carbs has about 4 calories, as does 1 g of protein. 1 g of fat has about 9 calories.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that humans don't require any carbs in their diet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the first weeks after diagnosis I was concentrating on low carb to induce lower blood glucose, but I lost 18lb during the same time - no other diet has ever been effective for me, but low carb makes weight loss almost too easy.

Reactions: No2D and Ultramum

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Normally I would say smile, nod and ignore but if they are starting you on insulin they need to listen to you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Since stopping dietician appointments I've lost weight!
That tells me everything.
My gp nurse isn't diabetic and she's using slimming world. Her patients have success there. She only sees the diabetics not on insulin.
Insulin users get carb conversion. Too many carbs add weight. Keep your carbs low on insulin too. People face up to 2st gain if not.
I've been on both ends of insulin and carbs weight gain and now losing.

Reactions: AM1874 and Ultramum