WOW! Real Bread

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've made my first Fergus loaf and it's delicious. Texture is just a little heavy. If anyone has any hints on perfefcting hat, I'd be happy to have them. Sou it's chicken and leek soup with bread for dinner tonight.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
If you can wade through the snow this far south before it's all gone, certainly!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cannot disclose commercial secrets Hana. Your life would be in danger.
I'm glad you enjoyed it though. Try it toasted for breakfast by the way, you'll love it.

All the best,

fergus

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
To get a lighter loaf.

Use fresh yeast rather than dried unless you are using a breadmaking machine.

Knead longer than the recipe being used recommends as you need to stretch whatever gluten is available.

Weighing the correct amount of dough for the tin size is important - don't do it by eye if you are using tins. If you go rustic, weight of dough does not matter.

For proving the mixture there are two 'standard' alternatives:

Once kneading is done place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave it to prove in a warm, draught free space. The dough should double in size. Knock it back, ie compress it again. Weigh the appropriate amount for the tin size, shape (flatten it out and roll like a Swiss Roll) and place in the tins. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm draught free place to re-prove - the dough should rise above the sides of the tins. When the dough has risen ie doubled in size put the tins into a pre-heated oven. If you want a good crust place a ovenproof dish with water in the bottom of the oven.

Use a large mixing bowl. Mix half the dry ingredients with all of the liquid and yeast. Clingfilm, cover with a tea towel or towel and and leave in a warm draught free place overnight. In the morning you should have a large,floppy bubble filled sponge. Turn out onto a lightly floured working surface and mix in the remainder of the dry ingredients. Knead. Cut the dough into appropriate weight for the tins being used. Shape the weighed dough as above. Bake as above.

The second option is 'messier' until you get used to it but it gives a much better finish - in my view.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
What is they key to weigth of dough and tin size?

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Loaf tins are normally sold according to the 'loaf weight'.

If using tins I use 1lb tins The dimensions are:

Base: 14 cm * 8.5 cm

Top: 16 cm * 10.5

Depth: 7 cm

In a 1lb tin the dough before the second proving should be slightly more than half full. Keep the centre of the dough raised.