wow

A

Anonymous

Afternoon everyone.

I have been informed that i lost 36 kilo's in the past 2 weeks ! :crazy:

My muscles have wasted away slightly but at least i can see my feet again. :lol:

When you are diagnosed as a diabetic, is it normal to lose so much weight ?

Does it continue to burn off so much or does it settle down ? :?

Thank you all

andy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are you sure that's in 2 weeks :shock:

angua

you sure its kilos Andy - thats like 80 lbs !

if you have just started watching what you eat, then there is usually a considerable initial loss but it tends to slow a little as you go on - if I'd lost 80 lbs over 2 weeks and carried on like that I'd be a greasy spot after a month :lol:

A

Anonymous

Yes, honestly, 36 kilos in 2 weeks.

I am disabled and cannot walk far, hence i cannot burn off the fat and no, i don't eat much !

I was weighed at my doctors surgery 2 weeks before i was admitted and again when i was in hospital last week.

Trust me, i was happy to be rid of it and i hope i can get back to my old skinny self !

andy

Defren

Grizzly Bear said:
Yes, honestly, 36 kilos in 2 weeks.

I am disabled and cannot walk far, hence i cannot burn off the fat and no, i don't eat much !

I was weighed at my doctors surgery 2 weeks before i was admitted and again when i was in hospital last week.

Trust me, i was happy to be rid of it and i hope i can get back to my old skinny self !

andy

WOW!!!!! I lost around 50lbs in eight weeks on the Newcastle diet, I have never heard of anyone losing that much in such a short time. Well done!

A

Anonymous

I was very ill Jo.

I am still not right now and my muscles around my legs etc are very thin ! :sick:

I even had to adjust my watch strap 2 holes to tighten it up last week !

I feel better the weight has gone but in another way, it's frighting to think of all that weight going in a short space of time.

andy

Defren

Grizzly Bear said:
I was very ill Jo.

I am still not right now and my muscles around my legs etc are very thin ! :sick:

I even had to adjust my watch strap 2 holes to tighten it up last week !

I feel better the weight has gone but in another way, it's frighting to think of all that weight going in a short space of time.

andy

I hope you're better soon. Try not to worry too much, your GP has his/her eye on you, so if things get dangerous they are right there. The positives with weight loss is, your BG becomes easier to stabilise. I rarely have any problems, unless like yesterday, trying another of my mad cap idea's, resulted in me taking in too many carbs, my BG went up to a place where I began to worry. So, I have reformulated my mad plan, into another not quite so mad plan, and will try again. I spend too much time, working out ways to control my BG. :lol:

The weight loss, will be a bit of a shock to your system, that much lighter, will make it's functioning easier, but you really want to be losing slow and steady.

Try not to worry, and stay in close contact with your GP and discuss all things that concern you. We can advise, but we are not Doctors.

Jo

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Insulin has many functions one of these is to stop the breakup of protein from the muscle and fats from the fat cells. (ie if you have the right amount it will regulate the breakdown, some's going on all the time)
Not enough insulin will result in fat and protein loss.
This can happen when a person has T1 diabetes and doesn't have very much insulin left.(massive, rapid weight loss is a typical symptom at diagnosis and also happens if a T1 stops taking enough insulin).
It can also occasionally happen with T2 when glucose levels get gradually , insidiously , very high (44mol/l according to your post and that is very very high. ) At this level, even if you are T2 and producing a fair amount of insulin, there won't be enough to counter the glucose level and insulin resistance.
When fats are broken up, ketones are produced these can cause the blood to become acidic.
I think that's why you were on the 'multi drip tube thingy ma jig' . you may have needed to have potassium to correct electrolyte imbalance as well as the insulin to bring glucose down.
I don't recommend it as a weight loss method. I've been there (as have quite a few T1s on here). You will gain some weight again. Some of the weight loss is from water, you will have been massively dehydrated and as you say some will have been from protein. As you get fitter then you will put that back on. However, it is possible to stop putting unwanted weight back on by paying attention to diet and exercise.

I gather you haven't been left on insulin, have they given you any medication?

A

Anonymous

Afternoon Phoenix,

yes, you are correct, my sugar levels were 44 when i was admitted into hospital. Not sure that is good ?

Ketones, that was mentioned to me and they said something at the time in which the ketones
had to be reduced.
I know that i had many iv drips etc for the first 24 hrs :shock:

The tablets i am on are metformin x 2 500mg and gliclazide x 2 twice a day.

I believe that the gliclazide is the max i can have a day ???

thank you Phoenix

andy