Write off

kevsta

Ok so today has been a wicked day but I’ve had to write it off as just wasn’t able to contain my desire for sugar and carbs

Feel bit bad but I’m only human I guess tomorrow is another day

So this morning I was wondering how my / and generally speaking about my pancreas

It’s is suppose to produce insulin to counter the effects of sugar

I was wondering if there was some sort of test I can ask the doctor to perform so help see how the general function of my pancreas is doing

If there is such a thing?

Does anyone on here known if that is a thing or not?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Ok so today has been a wicked day but I’ve had to write it off as just wasn’t able to contain my desire for sugar and carbs

So this morning I was wondering how my / and generally speaking about my pancreas

I was wondering if there was some sort of test I can ask the doctor to perform so help see how the general function of my pancreas is doing

Yes, it's called the C-Peptide test.

C-Peptide is a bi-product when Insulin is produced and so by measuring C-Peptide levels, the amount of insulin being produced can be determined.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2 it would be expected to see high Insulin and c peptide levels. (Although after many years it can effectively “run out” after many years of over production). The problem is despite working extra hard to produce insulin your body doesn’t respond to it due to insulin resistance, hence the reason it produces more and more to try and force a response. Trouble is the high levels make you even more resistant to it at the same time.

This is why we try and lower insulin levels and the only real way to do that (without drugs) is not to stimulate it, which means not eating carbs. Some drugs simply get rid of excess glucose without addressing the high insulin levels which is why people typically are expected to deteriorate with type 2 under conventional drug only regimes. We need to address the causes (Excessive and insulin resistance) not just the symptoms (high blood glucose)

we all have days where it’s harder than others. As you say we’re only human but for me this sets off the carb cravings again and the next few days or weeks are even tougher. I’ve learnt that lesson the hard way. Overall it is easier to resist just once than for days on end after a caving to the cravings.

Reactions: kevsta

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @HSSS has summed it up really well.

Yes if you have any concerns you should ask a doctor to do a test.

I agree with @HSSS that I find it easier just to stay low carb. I think the danger for me is to see my way of eating as a 'diet' rather than just the way I have to eat forever. For me I find it helpful to think about it as that I have an intolerance/allergy to carbs- I know I am intolerant to gluten and that meant to treat my body correctly never having gluten. For me the carbs is the same. If I eat a lot of carbs my body will react to that and also will crave it. So my thought is I can never 'write off' a day- if I have eaten something higher in carbs I need to take an action- for me doing some physical exercise to use the carbs I have eaten, drinking water and then to make sure I have no more carbs for the rest of the day. So I don't 'write off' a meal that is higher in carbs- I take action.

I find some days much more difficult then others but in my mind I just can't eat carbs. What helps me is too have something like diet jelly around, I have keto peanut butter fudge in the freezer I drink more coffee with cream- so I have a few things to have if I'm feeling it. I also sometimes have keto friendly brownies also stored in the freezer. 5 grams of. carbs per brownie so can't eat a lot but very yummy.

Good luck for the next couple of days- I hope that it goes well.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You've already gotten your answers, but just wanted to add to the chorus: We all have those days. And "I guess tomorrow is another day" is quite right. Blood sugars vary throughout our days, influenced by a myriad of things, which also means tomorrow really is another day and you simply get to start over. Just be aware that carbs are addictive by nature and sometimes, though it isn't the case for everyone, having carbs'll start the carb cravings all over again. Takes a day or two of not giving in to get rid of them again. All in all... Congratulations, you're indeed quite human. ;) No need to beat oneself up about it.
Hope all's good today!
Jo

kevsta

So today has been bit better had a full breakfast bacon sausage scrambled egg and mushroom and has filled me up

We went to maccys and I know normally I would have Big Mac chips milkshakes etc but I only had 3 chicken selection no drinks just the meat

And now finished off the day strawberry picking and brought some double cream to try and my coffee and .... it’s different ....does the cream have to be doubled single ? Or does it not matter

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So today has been bit better had a full breakfast bacon sausage scrambled egg and mushroom and has filled me up

We went to maccys and I know normally I would have Big Mac chips milkshakes etc but I only had 3 chicken selection no drinks just the meat

And now finished off the day strawberry picking and brought some double cream to try and my coffee and .... it’s different ....does the cream have to be doubled single ? Or does it not matter
You'd be fine at a Mac if you order your burgers without a bun. They actually do have that as an option, and gives for juicier burgers (No sponge :)). Dunno what chicken selection is, being Dutch and having a different menu here, but if it's coated, then I hope you pulled that stuff off of it. McD's has a list of nutritional information you can download. Don't they have sparkling water or something to help wash stuff down with? Tea, coffee? (The McCafé does a fine espresso here). Just some stuff to ponder... I always just go for the biggest burger they have and have them leave the bun off. And you should give Five Guys a go... Bread optional. You can have the burger wrapped in lettuce instead, but they can also just dump every single thing they've got in one piling heap with a knife and fork to go with it. Expensive, but best burger I've ever had.

Double cream is fattier, so would technically be better. I loved clotted cream but it costs an arm and a leg here, (it's a speciality item, the Dutch don't usually use it) and cow dairy still doesn't agree with me, but you might like it to go with your strawberries?

All in all though... You're doing alright today, and that breakfast rocked. Enjoy the berries!!!:)
Jo

Reactions: KK123