wrongly diagnosed type 1/2

steveandkay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there I was diagnosed around 6 months ago with type 2 ,ive been back to the nurse today and been informed I have have type 1 diabetes,,,is this the same diet and everything as type 2 ,,feeling really confused now

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope that was based on a C-peptide and GAD blood test and not from some low carb dietary ketones in your blood/urine, since your change of diet?
you manage everything by carb intake still
less carb =less insulin= smaller mistakes and can be more stable BG

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Double check with your GP. The treatment is very different. I would imagine that if you are in fact Type 1 you would be prescribed insulin, have you been ?

It may be a computer error , but best to find out for certain for your own peace of mind and ensure you have the right treatment .

Signy

steveandkay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
yes I use insulin
I hope that was based on a C-peptide and GAD blood test and not from some low carb dietary ketones in your blood/urine, since your change of diet?
you manage everything by carb intake still
less carb =less insulin= smaller mistakes and can be more stable BG
no retests were done ,they just said from the tests that I have already had they were sure I was type 1,,,1 of the readings was 48,48,128

steveandkay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Double check with your GP. The treatment is very different. I would imagine that if you are in fact Type 1 you would be prescribed insulin, have you been ?

It may be a computer error , but best to find out for certain for your own peace of mind and ensure you have the right treatment .

Signy
yes I use insulin and meds

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a number of Types you may fall in to then, but it's difficult to make an accurate guess without knowing your back history that lead to your diagnosis.

Type 2 on insulin, which sounds likely if you are also on medications for diabetes, what are you taking ?

Late onset Type 1 ( and I'm making a sweeping assumption from your avatar that you are not a teen or younger, apologies if you are ! ) :D

All of the above are only a guess, I really do think you need to speak to your GP for a firm diagnosis and explanation of your meds and insulin regime. Make a list of questions before you go ;)

The numbers you posted are not that useful without their context , they could be your HbA1c in different formats I suppose, but if you have only been diagnosed six months, maybe not, as the minimum time apart they are done is three months.

Signy

( edited for demon autocorrect errors )

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I was diagnosed with type 2 6 years ago and then I became unstable at 37 years old and they said that I was misdiagnosed and was always type 1 but they couldn't confirm it. However since I have been on insulin I do feel much better. I was initially on byetta which worked so I am still non the wiser.
It is different....you must make sure that you actually need the insulin..what other meds were you on? The metformin didn't work for me at all, so that's when they put me on the byetta and I was soooo much better. you should be counting your carbs keep them low. I aim for 50-100g but have been told that 150g would be ok however the more carbs you take the more insulin you need..more difficult to stablise.
I kept a food diary to watch what happened to my body and that was a great tool to refer back to.
If you do need the insulin then everything affects your dosage. Exercise, tiredness, stress, illness and obviously food that you eat. I bought 'calories and carbs' book which has helped me a lot.

Good luck

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
As @jack412 said. Accurate diagnosis of Type 1 requires C-peptide level (=proxy for insulin) testing. Typically in Type 2 (insulin resistance) C-peptide may be high. In Type 1(insulin deficiency) or very late stage Type 2 (insulin resistance+burnout deficiency) it will be low. GAD antibodies are usually very high for Type 1 which appears to be an autoimmune condition.

Regarding treatment approaches, Type 2 symptoms may be controllable/reversible on diet/exercise/lifestyle and some medications. Type 1 is irreversible and always requires insulin treatment (unless perhaps pancreas transplant).

Ask for a referral to hospital endocrinologist to get more detailed workup and advice.