xDrip & Dexcom G4

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice on building an xDrip:)

Before I start spending money and building one - can some of you kind people please advise on the following:

-Is this a decent priced "kit" to buy?
http://www.robotshop.com/uk/xdrip-bridge-module.html?gclid=CO3E_f_J5M8CFc8W0wodrSUPvg#What

-Is this the guide I should follow?
https://github.com/StephenBlackWasAlreadyTaken/xDrip/blob/gh-pages/hardware_setup.md

-Can I assume that I can achieve a typical 14-20 days from a G4 sensor?

-Likewise, 12 months minimum for the transmitter?

I'm weighing up the costs of xDrip/G4 against the Libre (which I'm currently using). Providing I can get ~2-3 weeks from a sensor, then the difference in price is negligible.

Thanks in advance!
Grant

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The kit price looks reasonable, you can easily check each item and buy them yourself if you wish.

Join the facebook group Nightscout UK and you will find all the details you need there together with all the help you need, they also organise self help build groups for those not used to building these kind of kits.

Reactions: Struma

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The kit price looks reasonable, you can easily check each item and buy them yourself if you wish.

Join the facebook group Nightscout UK and you will find all the details you need there together with all the help you need, they also organise self help build groups for those not used to building these kind of kits.
Thanks @Chas C, I'll price up the parts on flea-bay and see if they come in any cheaper.

EDIT - After a quick look it seems like that site is a pretty good deal:)

Grant

Last edited:

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks it, the pre-made xdripkit i bought was £59 at the time a few months ago so a bit less than that for parts seems in the right ballpark.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks it, the pre-made xdripkit i bought was £59 at the time a few months ago so a bit less than that for parts seems in the right ballpark.
Dang, just had an email from the supplier this morning saying that there's a back order on the kit due to parts not being available. Will have to price them up individually. Looks like the Wixel is the toughest one to find at a good price though.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dang, just had an email from the supplier this morning saying that there's a back order on the kit due to parts not being available. Will have to price them up individually. Looks like the Wixel is the toughest one to find at a good price though.
Let me check my stuff. I may have a spare one. cool-components was where I bought my wixel from. To be honest, I moved on to the G5, which I know is more expensive, but it's a **** site easier than carrying the extra box around.

And sensor life is typically 14-28 days in my experience.

Transmitter life, don't assume anything. While most get 12 months or so out of them, they are warranted for six and many people don't get to 12 months.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let me check my stuff. I may have a spare one. cool-components was where I bought my wixel from. To be honest, I moved on to the G5, which I know is more expensive, but it's a **** site easier than carrying the extra box around.

And sensor life is typically 14-28 days in my experience.

Transmitter life, don't assume anything. While most get 12 months or so out of them, they are warranted for six and many people don't get to 12 months.
Hi Tim,

That would be grand; I've cancelled my order from that link I provided in the initial post and (funnily enough) I'm currently building a shopping basket on cool-components.

I'm using a Galaxy S7 so the G5 wouldn't be of any use in my case. I obviously would be more keen on the idea of carrying less things around but will need to make do with what we have available just now.

Slightly off-topic, but do the sales team ask if you have got a receiver or the like? i.e. are they going to quiz me to find out if I'm using 3rd party hardware/software with their product? I'm not entirely clued up on the legality and ethics here.

Cheers,
Grant

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm using a Galaxy S7 so the G5 wouldn't be of any use in my case. I obviously would be more keen on the idea of carrying less things around but will need to make do with what we have available just now.
The latest version of the xDrip software is able to support G5. www.nightscout.info/wiki/welcome/nightscout-with-xdrip-and-dexcom-share-wireless/xdrip-with-g5-support

I've never had an issue buying stuff from Dexcom directly and not purchasing a receiver for the G5. The G4 I don't know about though, as effectively without a receiver, you aren't able to use it (regardless of what else you might do there).

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The latest version of the xDrip software is able to support G5. www.nightscout.info/wiki/welcome/nightscout-with-xdrip-and-dexcom-share-wireless/xdrip-with-g5-support

I've never had an issue buying stuff from Dexcom directly and not purchasing a receiver for the G5. The G4 I don't know about though, as effectively without a receiver, you aren't able to use it (regardless of what else you might do there).
Right okay, so G5 tx and G5 sensors can now be used with xDrip.

The G5 tx's are shutting down after 90-120 days? That increases running costs by around £40pcm unfortunately (compared with G4 and xDrip bridge)...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don't disagree. However speak to the right people (@CapnGrumpy) and you can find out how to replace the batteries and continue to use it with xDrip.

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't disagree. However speak to the right people (@iHs & @CapnGrumpy) and you can find out how to replace the batteries and continue to use it with xDrip.
If it's as simple as a battery change then I'd be willing to consider that. From what I understand, battery replacement for the G5 is easier than the G4 as they are not sandwiched between two printed circuit boards.

I was under the impression that their would be some software jiggery-pokery required, but I'll contact the aforementioned forum members for advice:)

Cheers,
Grant

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was under the impression that their would be some software jiggery-pokery required, but I'll contact the aforementioned forum members for advice:)
Only if you want it to be in continuous use on an iPhone. On Android with xDrip, this limitation doesn't exist.

Reactions: GrantGam

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The newer G4 Slim and G5s can be machined/filed down, but it's the older 'fat' G4s that have the batteries sandwiched between two circuit boards and will be a nuisance.

With a G4 you would need a physical xDrip kit to pick up the G4's radio signal and turn it into a Bluetooth signal that can be paired with an Android phone.

If you can get your hands on a G5, I'd do it because it won't automatically shut down after 3 months any more (I've only heard one report and 5 months lifespan was quoted) and it uses Bluetooth already, so no xDrip kit required.

You need an Android phone with BLE on Android 5 (Marshmallow) or greater and either the xDrip or xDrip+ app. Bear in mind that these apps are provided 'for research purposes only' and support is largely via Facebook/forum. Personally, I prefer xDrip+ as it will predict lows based on how quickly your BS is dropping and suggest an amount of carbs to take. Edit: and also because I like mucking about with this sort of thing...

Links:
xDrip+ app: https://jamorham.github.io/#xdrip-plus
xDrip app: https://github.com/StephenBlackWasAlreadyTaken/xDrip/wiki/xDrip-Beta
Useful Facebook group: xDrip G5

To get going with either app, install it, open it, and hit 'Start Sensor' on the menu. The software automatically pairs the Bluetooth for you. 'Sensor warm up time' is much less - 8 minutes to pair the Bluetooth, then you should be able to do the double calibration after a further 20. There's also no 7 day sensor session - just stop the sensor and bin it when it deteriorates too much.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The newer G4 Slim and G5s can be machined/filed down, but it's the older 'fat' G4s that have the batteries sandwiched between two circuit boards and will be a nuisance.

With a G4 you would need a physical xDrip kit to pick up the G4's radio signal and turn it into a Bluetooth signal that can be paired with an Android phone.

If you can get your hands on a G5, I'd do it because it won't automatically shut down after 3 months any more (I've only heard one report and 5 months lifespan was quoted) and it uses Bluetooth already, so no xDrip kit required.

You need an Android phone with BLE on Android 5 (Marshmallow) or greater and either the xDrip or xDrip+ app. Bear in mind that these apps are provided 'for research purposes only' and support is largely via Facebook/forum. Personally, I prefer xDrip+ as it will predict lows based on how quickly your BS is dropping and suggest an amount of carbs to take. Edit: and also because I like mucking about with this sort of thing...

Links:
xDrip+ app: https://jamorham.github.io/#xdrip-plus
xDrip app: https://github.com/StephenBlackWasAlreadyTaken/xDrip/wiki/xDrip-Beta
Useful Facebook group: xDrip G5

To get going with either app, install it, open it, and hit 'Start Sensor' on the menu. The software automatically pairs the Bluetooth for you. 'Sensor warm up time' is much less - 8 minutes to pair the Bluetooth, then you should be able to do the double calibration after a further 20. There's also no 7 day sensor session - just stop the sensor and bin it when it deteriorates too much.
Many thanks!

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slightly off-topic, but do the sales team ask if you have got a receiver or the like? i.e. are they going to quiz me to find out if I'm using 3rd party hardware/software with their product? I'm not entirely clued up on the legality and ethics here.

As far as I can tell, Dexcom must have acquired sales records from Advanced Therapeutics at some point as the American I spoke to for my first order with them didn't have to clarify any of my address with me, and they seem to be accepting orders without a receiver. Tell them you're using your old G4 that you got via Animas when you were on a Vibe if they query it.

Reactions: GrantGam

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
CapnGrumpy, I'm interested in your statement "it won't automatically shut down after 3 months any more (I've only heard one report and 5 months lifespan was quoted)"
Are you sure about that? Good news if so.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
CapnGrumpy, I'm interested in your statement "it won't automatically shut down after 3 months any more (I've only heard one report and 5 months lifespan was quoted)"
Are you sure about that? Good news if so.
This is only on the xDrip app from what I understand.

Reactions: DunePlodder

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I can tell, it's the Dexcom G5 app that imposes the three month shut down on G5 transmitters. Using xDrip software that is entirely unsupported by Dexcom bypasses this.