Xdrip+ or the official Dexcom app for G5?

mark2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Also, it works directly with the G5 transmitter, no G5 receiver required. I didn't even bother buying a receiver because 1)it's an extra piece of hardware to carry around and 2) It's internal software limits the use of each G5 transmitter to 112(?) days, forcing you to buy a new one.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
xDrip+ was showing 4.8 while my meter showed 3.5 and 3.6 earlier today. That was disappointing! G4 was not always accurate either but I get the feeling it would typically show I run low when in fact my BS would be in range. Not the opposite way in which case such an inaccuracy is more dangerous.

I wonder if the official Dexcom app is more accurate?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
xDrip+ was showing 4.8 while my meter showed 3.5 and 3.6 earlier today. That was disappointing! G4 was not always accurate either but I get the feeling it would typically show I run low when in fact my BS would be in range. Not the opposite way in which case such an inaccuracy is more dangerous.

I've been using the G5 and xDrip+ for 3 days now. So far, very impressed:)

I've had one instance where my reading was fairly inaccurate - about 3-4mmol off. A quick calibration sorted this, and that got me thinking - when to calibrate and how often?

I'm thinking less is more and around once per day with as steady a BG as possible?

Also, is there a means to enter your basal dose (for those of us on MDI)? I'm just adding it in as a treatment note just now.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

I find the Dexcom app to be slightly less accurate than xDrip+. In my experience there is more drift in the app and you have to calibrate it more frequently.

oleluis

I use a slightly modified version of xDrip+ that talks to an app I made for my Gear S3 watch.

xDrip+ has waaaaaaaay more features than the Dexcom app.
I have been diabetic for 20 years and I also have a diabetic 2 year old too, this app would make life easier and I would like to try it on my watch S3, could you share it please?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@olelius - you don't need it. If you use "Wearable Widgets" and NightWatch on the Android phone, Nightwatch will receive the local broadcast data from xDrip+ and you can set a widget up on Wearable Widgets that will display on your S3 watch. That's how I use it.

Reactions: zbluebirdz

oleluis

@olelius - you don't need it. If you use "Wearable Widgets" and NightWatch on the Android phone, Nightwatch will receive the local broadcast data from xDrip+ and you can set a widget up on Wearable Widgets that will display on your S3 watch. That's how I use it.
Gracias Tim2000s, but, I would like my clock to transmit the values of my G5 sensor and through the mobile to see the glucose level of my son, so I need to separate the clock from the mobile phone.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry folks, been snowed under with medical appointments and trying to catch up on life now that I have started to exploring my second condition ("possibly epilepsy").

I am going to release this app soon; is anyone willing to work with me to help me iron out the issues? Thanks

izsapir

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been using xDrip+ and G5 for 6 months now. It's great. Like part of me now.
As @tim2000s said, it supports Android Wear watches natively. I chose the Sony Smartwatch 3, because that's the device that the developer of the Wear integration part uses. I just works.
I have the watch acting as a standalone collector for the G5 data. This way, you don't even have to take your phone with you to see current BG readings, or even to record carbs and insulin doses. It's very reliable, and I hardly miss any readings at all. Initially, I just had xDrip running on the phone, but I would invariably miss readings after wandering away from the phone.
The watch battery easily lasts all day.
Another cool feature is that you can pair xDrip with a bluetooth glucose meter (eg. Contour Next One), and blood test go straight into xDrip without having to type them in. One of the issues with CGM is knowing when to use blood tests to calibrate. You can choose to have xDrip decide for you automatically whether to use the BG readings it gets from the meter for calibration.
Hi, can you pls describe how I can install the Xdrip+ on the SW3 Watch? as this application is not in Google APP , in addition is it possible that the Mobile and the watch will be standalone collectors on the same time? or it can be either the Mobile or the Watch