Xdrip+ or the official Dexcom app for G5?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently use Dexcom G4 and I am thinking of getting the G5.

So, this is a question for G5 users: do you use the Xdrip+ or the official Dexcom app for G5 on your smartphone?

Reactions: Hayden_McCall

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
I use XDrip+, my phone won't take the official app and I couldn't afford the more expensive phone. XDrip is great and if you aren't part, join CGM in the cloud and xDrip G5 Facebook groups to find out more.

Reactions: michita and cz_dave

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a slightly modified version of xDrip+ that talks to an app I made for my Gear S3 watch.

xDrip+ has waaaaaaaay more features than the Dexcom app.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a slightly modified version of xDrip+ that talks to an app I made for my Gear S3watch.

Wow! That's actually what I was looking into: how to bring BG data to an android smart watch. Is a custom developed app necessary or what does your app actually do?

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@cz_dave you need Wearable Widgets with xDrip+ for the Samsung Gear S3 - I use this with my OpenAPS set up with G5. Make sure you download the Wearable Widgets Clock rather than just the widget for use on the watch though.

xDrip+ also supports android Wear watches natively, so you have a choice.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the official Dexcom app; how is the xDrip different and why would people use it instead of the official app (assuming they have an iPhone)? What are the "extra features"?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use the official Dexcom app; how is the xDrip different and why would people use it instead of the official app (assuming they have an iPhone)? What are the "extra features"?
If you tell it your Insulin Carb ratio and insulin sensitivity factor (aka correction factor), then when you enter carbs it will suggest a treatment amount of insulin, based on the realtime sensor glucose data and projection it has for you.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@cz_dave you need Wearable Widgets with xDrip+ for the Samsung Gear S3 - I use this with my OpenAPS set up with G5. Make sure you download the Wearable Widgets Clock rather than just the widget for use on the watch though.

xDrip+ also supports android Wear watches natively, so you have a choice.

Thanks so much @tim2000s ! That's exactly the info I was looking for. I have been already looking into buying the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier watch. But then I got some doubts because of the OS Tizen that it runs on - it's not supported by Dexcom's native app. This seems like a pretty good solution what you are suggesting.

I think I am going to go downtown and buy that watch right now.

The G5 equipment is still getting approved by my insurance company, so let's see. The problem is that my Hba1c is too good, thanks to my self-funded G4. So there is some hesitation...

thefalcon87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I have a question for you G5 users. Can you use say for instance a Samsung Gear S3 as a standalone device for reading your glucose? Or do you need an android phone as well? The watch runs on bluetooth so seems like it is possible.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey, I have a question for you G5 users. Can you use say for instance a Samsung Gear S3 as a standalone device for reading your glucose? Or do you need an android phone as well? The watch runs on bluetooth so seems like it is possible.

Not yet. No software supports it (and the GeR S3 runs on Tizen, Samsung'a own os, so that seems even less likely.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I made my own native (Tizen) app for the Gear S3. I attempted to make it work "standalone", however I could not get a reliable connection between the watch and the G5 transmitter. I think the Tizen bluetooth implementation is a bit too flaky, but not really sure. I intend to try again after a couple of software updates in case they patch up the Bluetooth stack, in the meantime I use my Android phone as an intermediary.

I get around 3 days of battery life with this setup.

thefalcon87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made my own native (Tizen) app for the Gear S3. I attempted to make it work "standalone", however I could not get a reliable connection between the watch and the G5 transmitter. I think the Tizen bluetooth implementation is a bit too flaky, but not really sure. I intend to try again after a couple of software updates in case they patch up the Bluetooth stack, in the meantime I use my Android phone as an intermediary.

I get around 3 days of battery life with this setup.

Mind sharing the app with me to use?

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have time right now to pretty it up or anything but if you're happy to use it as-is, PM me. Here's a screenshot... 20170515_134853.jpg

Reactions: mccueab

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using xDrip+ for 3 weeks now. It works really nicely except for two things:
1) as soon as my phone is not in immediate proximity to the sensor, I get missed readings and and the app struggles to reconnect.
2) overnight, the reading can get off by 2 mmol.

Other than that it is an amazing improvement over G4. Daytime readings are incredibly accurate.

Anyone has similar issues?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's more likely to be a function if you and the sensor. I find I can go days without calibrating on xDrip+ and even then it's only 1mmol/l out when I do need to (although age of sensor is important on that aspect. 3-12 days is when it works best like that - anything more and i do need to calibrate twice daily).

Last edited:

mccueab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't have time right now to pretty it up or anything but if you're happy to use it as-is, PM me. Here's a screenshot...View attachment 22934
Mind if you send me your homemade app too? im newly diagnosed T1 and im getting a dexcom so i was looking for a clean way of using my s3 to view my blood sugar. but the app wont let me message you, dont know if its because im new.

thanks

mark2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
I've been using xDrip+ and G5 for 6 months now. It's great. Like part of me now.
As @tim2000s said, it supports Android Wear watches natively. I chose the Sony Smartwatch 3, because that's the device that the developer of the Wear integration part uses. I just works.
I have the watch acting as a standalone collector for the G5 data. This way, you don't even have to take your phone with you to see current BG readings, or even to record carbs and insulin doses. It's very reliable, and I hardly miss any readings at all. Initially, I just had xDrip running on the phone, but I would invariably miss readings after wandering away from the phone.
The watch battery easily lasts all day.
Another cool feature is that you can pair xDrip with a bluetooth glucose meter (eg. Contour Next One), and blood test go straight into xDrip without having to type them in. One of the issues with CGM is knowing when to use blood tests to calibrate. You can choose to have xDrip decide for you automatically whether to use the BG readings it gets from the meter for calibration.

Reactions: zbluebirdz

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As @tim2000s said, it supports Android Wear watches natively. I chose the Sony Smartwatch 3, because that's the device that the developer of the Wear integration part uses. I just works.
Lol. I'd have to beg to differ on this. I've never got the Smartwatch 3 to work as a collector with either of the G5 receivers I've used with xDrip+, unfortunately. I hear that some have got the LG Urbane doing something similar, but I haven't tested it.

mark2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Lol. I'd have to beg to differ on this. I've never got the Smartwatch 3 to work as a collector with either of the G5 receivers I've used with xDrip+, unfortunately. I hear that some have got the LG Urbane doing something similar, but I haven't tested it.

If you have a SW3 to hand, then maybe you should try it again with the G5 !
As I said, that combination works great for me.

Initially, I did have some problems with battery life of the watch, where it would suddenly shut down at 35% after about 12 hours. The battery calibration seems to have cleared itself up now and I'm currently getting about 20 hours, more if I turn off "Always-on screen". I also switched off any extra power drains like Wifi.