Type 2 Xmas is coming...

Grasue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I try hard to eat healthy and my hba1c is currently 49 from start of 92. But how do you all cope with Xmas drinks n nibbles with " oh go on its Xmas..". I have not much self control when presented with a smorgus board of delicious tastes. Last xmas i stayed mostly away. I want to join in and be social but am worried. Any advice from those who like eating?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try hard to eat healthy and my hba1c is currently 49 from start of 92. But how do you all cope with Xmas drinks n nibbles with " oh go on its Xmas..". I have not much self control when presented with a smorgus board of delicious tastes. Last xmas i stayed mostly away. I want to join in and be social but am worried. Any advice from those who like eating?
This year the family is gathering at my mum's, so she's consulting me on the food. There'll be a mix of keto and regular snacks/fingerfood. So I can eat with the rest of the family, they can have keto stuff too without realising it's "that special low carb type of thing". Share and share alike, no-one'll notice. Christmas dinner here and at the in-laws is mostly meat and veggie based, the others just have potatoes, bread and such while I go for extra meat & veggies. Coffee will suit me fine while they have dessert. Thing is, at every event I have a bit of a say in what appears on the table. I'll bring my own or advise, but that way I don't have to sit anything out or feel lonely munching on nuts in a corner or something. If you're eating, no-one'll say "once won't hurt ya", because they don't realise you're low carbing and not partaking in the pud. Or you could, of course. I sometimes have a bite or two of some pastry or cake my husband's having. (Still remain in ketosis though, so it's really *very* little). Just to get some of the flavour, and the nostalgia that goes with it.

Loads of people fall off the wagon over the holidays though. Key is to get right back on immediately after, if you do. That, and if you're deviating from the diet, enjoy it while it lasts; guilt doesn't help anybody. But for me, being part of the meal planning really makes things easier, and I have stuck with low carb through both Christmasses so far, at home, with a friend, with my family and the inlaws. (Yes, christmas lasts 4 days for me!) As well as other holidays. (The Dutch Sinterklaas which is very candy-oriented, Easter too... Let's not forget birthdays and anniversaries! Receptions too...) . I'm actually headed to a luxury chocolate shop this weekend to put in my christmas order for at mum's. And as they have really good extra dark bars there, I don't mind going at all, even if I go home with a few kilo's of gift bonbons I can only look at... I'll have my peruvian extra dark bars to enjoy ;)

You'll find a way that agrees with you. Just try to have happy holidays, whatever shape that may take.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Always have a ham so no change there. Not a bread eater, nor most of the puddings, cakes, sweet pies etc. Very lucky in that way. Love a roast spud so will allow myself. I make a chestnut stuffing with puréed chestnuts and sausage meat, that’s pretty low carb it seems. Cheese. I love Brussels sprouts though (oddly) more carb than other leafy veg. My Xmas treat for decades has been cheese footballs. I reckon I can have a few if I take off the coat which I never liked anyway. So the only thing I make each year but won’t make now is rum butter. Although...thinking...I could do it with xylitol! On Greek yoghurt?? Worth a thought.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are very traditionsl so turkey and ham roast dinner. Will allow myself one roast potato and some homemade sage, onion and bread stuffing. Starter is homeade canapies including a prawn on baby gem leaf with tiny amount dressing, smoked salmon on bread square and not, tiny cocktail stick cube feta with half cherry tomato and black olive, tiny melon cube with parma ham twist on top, cold cooked streaky bacon). Best avoid supermarket party food I find. I will make a trifle for the family, a chocolate cake and there will be Christmas Pud none of which interest me. I might allow myself a small bit of very dark choc and a couple of glasses of champagne.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Grasue I know what you mean about all the good looking goodies floating around during the holidays! There are a few things you can do to ease the frustration of not joining in or the guilt that you overdid it....

1) Offer to take something like an appetizer or side dish that you know you can enjoy....most people don't even know they are eating something low carb or keto!

2) Enjoy a red wine spritzer or straight red wine - better than the white wine. Just make it last a while if you aren't into drinking too much.

3) Eat a salad or some other snack before you go to a gathering so that you are not feeling hungry when you arrive.

4) If you are going to a dinner see if you can find out what is being served so you can determine what you will eat and stick with it. If you can't, then eat what you can and don't worry about it - it's only one meal!

5) If you are going to a restaurant most of them have their menus online now so you can pre-choose what you will eat and stick with it! I sometimes will take two appetizers and ask them to be served as my entree. AVOID THE BREADBASKET!! Ordering soup is a good way to make you meal go a little farther as well.

6) The reason for getting together is to enjoy the fellowship, the season, good music/dancing - whatever is going on, so don't focus so much on the food....make your munchies, meal, whatever last - savor the flavors and enjoy the conversation as well!

7) If you are able maybe you can have one of the get togethers at your place - you have complete control then of what will be served:)

8) Probably most importantly is to relax, take a deep breath and repeat "This too shall pass"

Cheers/L