Xmas pud (also cake?) interesting effect

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Using a Libre 2 to track BG changes can show some interesting things.
I was experimenting with Aldi Xmas cake (bought in a period of weakness) which didn't seem to raise my BG significantly when microwaved and mixed with a little brandy, some butter and some double cream.
However I had a low reading Libre 2 at the time.
Reading went up a bit but never out of the green, which seemed an interesting result.

I now have a new, remarkably accurate for once, Libre 2.
I repeated the experiment with some Lidl Xmas pudding,
Only a small piece, but again microwaved and with brandy, butter, cream.
My BG showed the tiniest of blips then just flat.
Well in the green.

Overnight, however, my BG crept up and the line was more or less flat but just in the yellow.

I checked the package, and it said (for 100g) carbohydrates 62.2g of which sugars 40.1g.
In theory that should have sent my BG through the roof.

I am now wondering if the majority of sugars were fructose, and so didn't show up directly in the blood but were snaffled by the liver and then slowly converted to glucose and released over time.

Fairly intensive finger prick testing wouldn't have shown this, apart from no spike and BG same before and 2 hours after eating.

I'm now wondering if this is an acceptable occasional treat, especially after strenuous exercise which seems to empty out the glucose from my system (assuming liver store).

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
  • Informative
Reactions: Antje77

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Using a Libre 2 to track BG changes can show some interesting things.
I was experimenting with Aldi Xmas cake (bought in a period of weakness) which didn't seem to raise my BG significantly when microwaved and mixed with a little brandy, some butter and some double cream.
However I had a low reading Libre 2 at the time.
Reading went up a bit but never out of the green, which seemed an interesting result.

I now have a new, remarkably accurate for once, Libre 2.
I repeated the experiment with some Lidl Xmas pudding,
Only a small piece, but again microwaved and with brandy, butter, cream.
My BG showed the tiniest of blips then just flat.
Well in the green.

Overnight, however, my BG crept up and the line was more or less flat but just in the yellow.

I checked the package, and it said (for 100g) carbohydrates 62.2g of which sugars 40.1g.
In theory that should have sent my BG through the roof.

I am now wondering if the majority of sugars were fructose, and so didn't show up directly in the blood but were snaffled by the liver and then slowly converted to glucose and released over time.

Fairly intensive finger prick testing wouldn't have shown this, apart from no spike and BG same before and 2 hours after eating.

I'm now wondering if this is an acceptable occasional treat, especially after strenuous exercise which seems to empty out the glucose from my system (assuming liver store).
The alcohol might well have helped to keep your BG reading lower than it might have been.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The cream might delay the carb action??? I've got to say that as a T1, cream or not, I'd need a lot of insulin for that cake.

• Informative
Reactions: filly

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Hmmm, interesting, not only your results @LittleGreyCat, but also the responses!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be read as it was written, sort of lightheartedly with undercurrent of truth.

I've long had a suspicion that BG doesn't play fair.

I don't think it obeys the 24 hour rule, which miraculously resets all bodily functions including BG, overnight, every night.
Sometimes I think it may take longer for things to show their true (or truer) impact.

I also think if we haven't eaten something for a good while, when we first eat it again, BG forgets how it should react, but then remembers for the next , or subsequent, times.

Also the more often we have a food the more something builds up in our body. (Don't know what but BG knows).

Quantity (or lack of it) can play a part as can the combinations of food eaten with, or prior, or after.

Then throw in stress, sleep, exercise and several other yet to be discovered confounders and BG will always have the last laugh, especially if we ever dare relax, or believe we understand and have it in control

Devious little wotsit is BG ;)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coming back to this.
At the moment (pending verification that the Libre 2 hasn't gone off piste) my BG is staying in the green and there is no obvious DP peak followed by a post-noon steep dip.

I am now testing low carbohydrate beers, and the first one went well - no obvious spike at all.
I also had half a tin of beans during the day (as part of a mainly protein meal) and again this doesn't seem to have had any effect.

However I don't know if my "liver sponge" theory means that I have emptied out my liver and can take liberties for a day, or if things that I test are truly not going to give me a spike in general use.

This does give me a reason to test with a bottle of "real" beer, but if that doesn't spike me when my BG is "all green" then that does present issues in testing individual food and drink items.

Just occurred to me that I might be in remission for a day, but only one day if I increase my carbohydrates.:confused:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Further testing yesterday evening with a bottle of Adnams Ghost Ship suggests that the low carbohydrate beer is effective, and there is no spike being masked.
BG went up like a rocket but came down after a while.