Yay, I am allowed

Mileana

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this, which had been worrying me a bit for the past while:

Eventhough I have diabetes and have had a lot of surgery to my tummy region already, I will be allowed to have abdominal plastic surgery once I am done losing weight.

I had been worried the infection risks and being on insulin would make them say no, but no, my numbers are so fine that it should not be a problem.

Now the last problem remains - explaining to them that a person with my muscle mass shouldn't have a BMI of 25, but GP said she would tell them to assess that a bit differently.

And then there's the last 2-3 stone to lose of course - but now at least it makes sense for me to do so as I can't say the excess skin is going to be hanging around me forever, so now I definately will do the last bit.

:D :D

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is good news Mileana and some thing to give you the incentive to get rid of the last couple of stones. So happy for you. :thumbup:

shop

Well done Mileana,

That certainly will give you the incentive for the last little bit. I know how it feels to feel good after loosing weight :D

Lucy xxx

Elc1112

Great news. Good luck with shifting the last couple of stone :)

As for surgery, I had a major op back in February (completely different to the one you are having). No problems whatsoever with my diabetes. Healing was gone really well, no infections or anythig like that, blood sugars remained under control (although slightly more erratic than usual during recovery). As a diabetic, I was first to go into the operating theatre on the day of my surgery. Great that there was no waiting around!

As for the BMI, I agree that it is not a great measure. The waist to hip ratio is often a better measurement. Alternatively, you can get a more accurate BMI worked out if you are willing to pay for it. I tried a few years ago after it was offered to me by my personal trainer. It actually takes into account muscle mass and so on. Much more reliable than looming at just weight and height.

Anyway, best of luck with the weight loss :)

Em

Mileana

Aye, I have tried that thing, special scales - I have several prints from gym and dietician. They so happen to tell me that my muscle and bone mass combined is 65 kg. Now that is what my weight should be for a BMI of 24ish if I recall right. Then we DO need to add at least 10 percent essential fat, let's make that 20 percent since I'm a lady and not an athlete. That brings us up to around 77 kg, so my goal is whereever between 80 and 75 I feel comfortable - for the time being. That would mean a BMI in the 27 area.

But that argument is for later.

And thanks.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mileana said:
Hi all,

Just wanted to share this, which had been worrying me a bit for the past while:

Eventhough I have diabetes and have had a lot of surgery to my tummy region already, I will be allowed to have abdominal plastic surgery once I am done losing weight.

I had been worried the infection risks and being on insulin would make them say no, but no, my numbers are so fine that it should not be a problem.

Now the last problem remains - explaining to them that a person with my muscle mass shouldn't have a BMI of 25, but GP said she would tell them to assess that a bit differently.

And then there's the last 2-3 stone to lose of course - but now at least it makes sense for me to do so as I can't say the excess skin is going to be hanging around me forever, so now I definately will do the last bit.

:D :D

Good luck Mileana :thumbup: RRB