Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Erratic readings.

I had my review yesterday and it wasn't great. All my reading are high so gonna try n do the carb counting strictly again. Need some motivation. However my review was actually the first in 2.5 years as consultant retired so they couldn't give me an appointment in 2015 and due to go sep 16 but i was in Barcelona and next appointment they had was yesterday. Got there and doc was held up so i saw a nurse.
She is lovely tho n said 2.5 years is too long to wait. Im like well thats the service at fault n not me. So hopefully im back on wagon but that will be 3.5 years by the time my next review comes in between seeing a consultant.

Anyway did my carb counting yesterday reading was 17.5 at bed took 2 units novorapid n my 14 lantus woke up at 6am at 3.6mmols. Any advice?

Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
General advice, if you can afford it, use a Freestyle Libre - even as a one off or on a ad hoc basis you'll learn a lot from it even in just 2 weeks with one sensor. Also buy and read 'Think like a Pancreas'.

To brush up on your carb counting skills lookup 'bertie online'

What was your hba1c? And how often do you do finger prick blood tests?

Reactions: Donna1 and linda_b

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A drop that large may indicate too much basal [Lantus]....

But it could be other factors too....

You need to go back to the beginning and start testing.....it does sound like you haven't had any official training, have you?

Test the Lantus, adjust until held steady......then you start testing each meal time separately....

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Draw a line in the sand, and commit to making changes, and it is actually quite easy, but do it in smaller manageable steps. A few things you need to work out/confirm are: Basal dose, I:C ratio and your correction factor. Start by doing a basal check as if you don't sort the foundations, nothing else will be right. Then you can work out the other things. Consider buying one or 2 books: Think Like a Pancreas, or Sugar Surfing, as they both explain all these things in excellent detail. Not sure how often you test, but if you can't afford a CGM/Flash GM (I definitely recommend you try to!), commit to doing a week or so of comprehensive blood tests, so you can start to see the patterns.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I will try n be strict and testing very regularly. Thanx for advice