Yeay!

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
For the first time since diagnosis ten months ago ... my blood glucose levels have not once gone above 8 all weekend!
Today was even better than yesterday, and my highest reading during the whole of the day was 7.3
My only gripe ... well there has to be one ... is that I've put on just over 4lbs in weight with the LCHF attempts over the past few weeks, so I guess I need to work out what I'm doing wrong there?
Maybe it's too many nuts, which I love as a snack a couple of times per day?
I am so happy with my glucose control though!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the first time since diagnosis ten months ago ... my blood glucose levels have not once gone above 8 all weekend!
Today was even better than yesterday, and my highest reading during the whole of the day was 7.3
My only gripe ... well there has to be one ... is that I've put on just over 4lbs in weight with the LCHF attempts over the past few weeks, so I guess I need to work out what I'm doing wrong there?

yes it can be the nuts..
in this link there ís a scheme in which you can see how much calories, fats , proteins and carbs are in different nuts
http://www.builtlean.com/2013/07/31/calories-nuts-chart/
http://food.ndtv.com/opinions/the-n...uch-of-these-nuts-should-you-be-eating-779321

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
yes it can be the nuts..
in this link there ís a scheme in which you can see how much calories, fats , proteins and carbs are in different nuts
http://www.builtlean.com/2013/07/31/calories-nuts-chart/
http://food.ndtv.com/opinions/the-n...uch-of-these-nuts-should-you-be-eating-779321
Oooo thank you for that.I shall have to check it out. The only other thing I eat is 85% chocolate sometimes, but I do only have one or sometimes two squares, so I don't think it's that.

Reactions: peterjones6000

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooo thank you for that.I shall have to check it out. The only other thing I eat is 85% chocolate sometimes, but I do only have one or sometimes two squares, so I don't think it's that.

no I dont think it will be the chokolate , if you only eat two small Squares every other day then I think it is actually healthy.

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people

How big are the squares? the ones I have are enormous but I'm a little choc pig

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps the weight increase is due to too many calories, either from too many carbs (hidden ones), too much protein, too much fat, or a combination of all three. Reaching the right balance isn't easy and often requires some tiresome work. I would keep a food diary that includes portion sizes, if you don't already do this, and see if your calorie count could be lowered a little.

Reactions: Chasida

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Walnuts are 4 gm per ounce and hazelnuts are 5 gm per ounce, so they do add up if you are eating them ad lib. I use Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution for low carbing, and have done for decades when I was allowed, It works for a lot of people, where the more modern type of Atkins doesn't have the same success. Well done with the glucose control, that's the most important thing really.

Reactions: Chasida

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
How big are the squares? the ones I have are enormous but I'm a little choc pig
Yes ... they ARE large squares, but I rarely have more than one ... sometimes two. A bar lasts me a couple of weeks so it tells you that I don't often have it

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Perhaps the weight increase is due to too many calories, either from too many carbs (hidden ones), too much protein, too much fat, or a combination of all three. Reaching the right balance isn't easy and often requires some tiresome work. I would keep a food diary that includes portion sizes, if you don't already do this, and see if your calorie count could be lowered a little.
That sounds like a good idea and thanks for the suggestion x

Reactions: Bluetit1802

kenneth_SW19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
And another aid might be that of increased activity?
Did you try to step up your exercise plan - perhaps in assistance from the UK Diabetes Walking Plan, which works nicely hand-in-hand with the Low Carb Diet?

Even a 10-20 minutes walk can make a difference, and the exercise works in tandem with your medication to increase 'insulin resistance'; ie. its ability to work better in lowering blood sugar levels?