Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/diabetes-risk-soars-quarter-you-8826043

This is only one of many.

The reason I started researching is everytime I eat salmon I get a bizarre spike. It started to become obvious so tested it out a couple more times. Everytime I get this spike. Never with turkey, chicken, eggs, lean lamb, beef or baby shrimp. Larger prawns I do. Weird I know.
I'm not sure about non fatty fish...... the search goes on

Anyone else notice this?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Kristin - that's from the Daily Mirror - its the type of newspaper that reports seeing Elvis or aliens at the local supermarket type of thing. They are really good at twisting a tiny bit of news in to alarming headlines.

I think we all react differently to different foods - I'm fine with oily fish but I can't eat mushrooms without a spike. :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So oily fish is ok for men?! Just as well as I'm having salmon tonight. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/diabetes-risk-soars-quarter-you-8826043

This is only one of many.

The reason I started researching is everytime I eat salmon I get a bizarre spike. It started to become obvious so tested it out a couple more times. Everytime I get this spike. Never with turkey, chicken, eggs, lean lamb, beef or baby shrimp. Larger prawns I do. Weird I know.
I'm not sure about non fatty fish...... the search goes on

Anyone else notice this?

Blimey ..... ... I eat a lot of salmon and a lot of Omega 3 foods. I do hope this research is wrong. :arghh: Not easy to say if salmon spikes me because I've never eaten it on its own.

Reactions: Chook

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I usually have a lower fbg the next morning if I've eaten fish the night before whether it's oily fish or not.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blimey ..... ... I eat a lot of salmon and a lot of Omega 3 foods. I do hope this research is wrong. :arghh: Not easy to say if salmon spikes me because I've never eaten it on its own.

I have (during my Zero Carb experiment) - and it didn't spike me at all.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kristin - that's from the Daily Mirror - its the type of newspaper that reports seeing Elvis or aliens at the local supermarket type of thing. They are really good at twisting a tiny bit of news in to alarming headlines.

I think we all react differently to different foods - I'm fine with oily fish but I can't eat mushrooms without a spike. :)
Haha. Good to know!

There are many other reports and studies. I just linked this one because it was U.K. based!

I'm sure we will still eat salmon but we were eating it about 5 times a week and tuna the other two. No hardship to eat chicken thighs, eggs. lamb etc. I realize there is no perfect food but I can't deny seeing the spikes.
There are plenty of white fish I like too.

It's a lot about contaminates as well as omega 3's

This is the first one I read. I know there are plenty of health gurus that have said to stop eating fish. I won't stop but I'll certainly eat less. I haven't paid attention to other fish and spikes like cod or flounder. I'll keep an eye on that. I just KNOW that poultry, eggs and lean reds never spike me

https://nutritionfacts.org/2015/07/23/why-would-eating-fish-increase-diabetes-risk/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the concern about eating fish is because of the mercury content through contamination, mostly I think through fish farming. If you chose wild salmon/fish there shouldn't be the same problem. Hopefully.

Reactions: Robbity

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4951144/pdf/pmed.1002094.pdf
This seems the article published on a peer-reviewed journal

Conclusion We provide robust large-scale evidence that circulating plasma phospholipid n-3 PUFA ALA and n-6 PUFA LA concentrations are associated with lower incidence of T2D. In contrast four n-6 PUFAs (GLA, DGLA, DTA, and n-6DPA) are associated with higher T2D incidence in EPIC-InterAct. These findings (i) highlight that it is important to consider individual PUFAs rather than focusing on overall circulating n-3 or n-6 PUFA groups; (ii) provide Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids and Type 2 Diabetes PLOS robust evidence that circulating LA, the most abundant PUFA, is inversely associated with T2D; and (iii) meaningfully advance our understanding that some fatty acids (EPA and DHA) may be related differently with T2D or cardiovascular disease, while stimulating a scientific debate about the potential role of other, previously less well studied individual fatty acids.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Apart from cod, haddock and hoki I loathe all seafood. However, coincidentally I bought my first ever very small tin of salmon this week with a view to changing my palate as I dislike most of the so called healthy fats. This will be the first time I hope my bg spikes!

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the concern about eating fish is because of the mercury content through contamination, mostly I think through fish farming. If you chose wild salmon/fish there shouldn't be the same problem. Hopefully.
I only eat wild Alaskan salmon and mostly their other fish. NEVER any from China. Apparently a few years ago there was a HUGE oil spill and something else and now even Alaskan waters aren't good. I'll just cut my consumption and hope for the best. And eat leaner proteins. Contaminates are most.y found in the fats. Boo. More avocado for me!!!!

I'm not too overly concerned as I don't eat slabs of any protein and I keep it to .8 g per kg for me. I can pick some up in pumpkin seeds and a few more nuts.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from cod, haddock and hoki I loathe all seafood. However, coincidentally I bought my first ever very small tin of salmon this week with a view to changing my palate as I dislike most of the so called healthy fats. This will be the first time I hope my bg spikes!

I eat 3 of those small tins a week. I've always loved tinned salmon (only Alaskan wild red) but if you add a dressing you like, mayo, or just ordinary vinegar, it will help if you aren't keen.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I eat 3 of those small tins a week. I've always loved tinned salmon (only Alaskan wild red) but if you add a dressing you like, mayo, or just ordinary vinegar, it will help if you aren't keen.
Thanks, lass. My cunning plan of hiding it between two McVities milk choc digestives didn't sit well :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, lass. My cunning plan of hiding it between two McVities milk choc digestives didn't sit well :)
Hahahahhahaha. Never thought of salmon and chocolate together !! Did you use mayo? I need mayo on tinned salmon. Not with choco though

Reactions: Guzzler

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I watched a documentary about farmed salmon a few years back and one of the main concerns of the film makers was what the fish were being fed. When interrogated, the governing bodies involved would always go on the defensive and spout something along the lines of: "we recommend no more than 2-3 servings of salmon per week."

They refused to elaborate in detail what the fish were being fed, but I'd imagine that there's a substantial steroid element involved to get the fish up to size quickly...

Food industry labelling is a complete gimmick as we know from the likes of "no added sugar" healthy foods and "diabetic" friendly ones. I'd imagine that there are some wee loop holes suppliers can get through with regards to wild and farmed salmon so always good to keep an eye out.

The mercury issue is a good point @Bluetit1802.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
[Q"Kristin251, post: 1529750, member: 240838"]Hahahahhahaha. Never thought of salmon and chocolate together !! Did you use mayo? I need mayo on tinned salmon. Not with choco though[/QUOTE]
I didn't do it, the tin is still in the cupboard!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I watched a documentary about farmed salmon a few years back and one of the main concerns of the film makers was what the fish were being fed. When interrogated, the governing bodies involved would always go on the defensive and spout something along the lines of: "we recommend no more than 2-3 servings of salmon per week."

They refused to elaborate in detail what the fish were being fed, but I'd imagine that there's a substantial steroid element involved to get the fish up to size quickly...

Food industry labelling is a complete gimmick as we know from the likes of "no added sugar" healthy foods and "diabetic" friendly ones. I'd imagine that there are some wee loop holes suppliers can get through with regards to wild and farmed salmon so always good to keep an eye out.

The mercury issue is a good point @Bluetit1802.
And antibiotics, no doubt.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The one to really avoid is Vietnamese River Cobbler also known as Basa - I watched a documentary where the fish were farmed in a river about 50 yards downstream from a sewer outlet dumping raw sewage in to the river. When you cross question chippy or cafe owners its surprising the amount of River Cobbler that finds its way on to the menu as 'Fish' as in 'Fish & Chips'.