Yikes!! Fish!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
It has always been a no no to eat oily fish more than twice a week. Twice a week is good for you..In the paper it says "May be harmful" and quoting 5 times a day. I would ignore it to be honest.

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The one to really avoid is Vietnamese River Cobbler also known as Basa - I watched a documentary where the fish were farmed in a river about 50 yards downstream from a sewer outlet dumping raw sewage in to the river. When you cross question chippy or cafe owners its surprising the amount of River Cobbler that finds its way on to the menu as 'Fish' as in 'Fish & Chips'.
No that's just plain disgusting!!!
I know a lot of our fish in restaurants are from china. They have very few regulations. They can freeze defrost and add things many times before we get it.
I love wild Alaskan cod so I will eat that and see if I spike.

This all goes back to me saying apsaturated fat raises me and I stay higher longer... hmmmm..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I believe everything I read there would be nothing for me to eat!
I know. There is no perfect food. Just some better than others and moderation.
It has always been a no no to eat oily fish more than twice a week. Twice a week is good for you..In the paper it says "May be harmful" and quoting 5 times a day. I would ignore it to be honest.
I will eat tuna twice a week. I buy Wild Planet albacore and they only use very small tuna and test regularly. Delishous too.
And perhaps some non fatty fish.

Reactions: derry60 and Prem51

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are newspapers in the UK (and I'm sure elsewhere around the world) that are just not, well, true. These are the types of papers who ran mock-up reproductions of Iraqi hostage abuse (Piers Morgan now making lots of money in the US - seems to be where our disgraced and besmirched go these days), who ran stories based on hacking the answerphones of murder victims and their families, and who will "pay" for their news (though, hahaha Max Clifford).

I found a relatively interesting article that reports the results of a survey carried out on UK media. Some of the results may surprise Brits!

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/faceb...daily-star-according-bbc-commissioned-survey/

The Star, The Sun, The Mirror, The People, The Mail... not worth wrapping bones for the dog in, frankly. They employ hacks and ghouls, often at the behest of massive media moguls with their fingers in lots of special pies (Murdoch, eg). These are the people who will run pictures of dying children and call it "news", who will attack before they question, who believe setting people against each other is the way to sell lots and lots of copy. What's funny is they probably outsell some of the other titles higher in the list 2:1, and yet they rank at the bottom, so you gotta wonder why anyone buys them.

It surprised me that Huffington came so low. Then again, I guess people can't tell if they're being serious or not, but they've broken some seriously important stories in the past (It was them, surprisingly, who broken some of the Trump - Putin stories, e.g. NYT and Wash Post picked them up after the fact) I guess they're just not so familiar to us Brits.

Anyway. Sorry. As an aside: A quick walkthrough of UK media.

As for fish? Tinned tuna because it's cheap and easy. I mix it with enormous amounts of mayo, and then fold in some raw onion, sliced olives, tiny bits of cucumber (when I can be bothered) and dump the lot on a spinach salad dressed with lime juice and sesame oil.

Beyond that, not a fish fan.

Reactions: Mark_1 and Prem51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The reason I started researching is everytime I eat salmon I get a bizarre spike

What sort of bg numbers are we talking about @Kristin251 , is it an immediate spike or a delayed one?

I find fish has little effect on my bg levels.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/diabetes-risk-soars-quarter-you-8826043

This is only one of many.

The reason I started researching is everytime I eat salmon I get a bizarre spike. It started to become obvious so tested it out a couple more times. Everytime I get this spike. Never with turkey, chicken, eggs, lean lamb, beef or baby shrimp. Larger prawns I do. Weird I know.
I'm not sure about non fatty fish...... the search goes on

Anyone else notice this?
Only thing I can think of why some fish raise bgs is how they are farmed. As mackerel and salmon like most fish are farmed not just wild.
Also as we both find in the absence of carbs in our diet the protein in excess becomes as excelerant as bread to our bg levels.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What sort of bg numbers are we talking about @Kristin251 , is it an immediate spike or a delayed one?

I find fish has little effect on my bg levels.
Ok. Spike is an overstatement haha
Slightly delayed. If I take it with insulin and eat and I start at 85, I stay at 85. If I take it away from insulin I'll rise to about 105. Not a huge amount of course but a large percentage when I normally have a very small window and rarely rise and you both know I'm just a tad OCD!!! I tested it a couple times. Exact same food, weighed and same time of day. Each time away from food I rose. When with food ( insulin) I did not. Now it's supposed to make us more insulin sensative but if a T2 has little first response hen maybe better to take with the second response? I'm just guessing but these are the things that have all become more clear with insulin use. Before it was all just a guessing game what was doing what. I can clearly see how my insulin needs change with fatty proteins as well.
Only thing I can think of why some fish raise bgs is how they are farmed. As mackerel and salmon like most fish are farmed not just wild.
Also as we both find in the absence of carbs in our diet the protein in excess becomes as excelerant as bread to our bg levels.
I don't touch farmed salmon. No need. Canned is wild Alaskan as well as fresh. Always

Protein stays consistent with all meals. It is the one macro I still weigh. Carbs are always the same and so is avocado. Exact same meal with poultry, rare lean lamb and beef never do that. I will be testing nonfatty fish soon. Animal fat raises me. That's clear. I use avocado, olive oil and macadamia nuts as my main fat sources. Mayo too.

Reactions: ickihun
D

Deleted member 308541

The one to really avoid is Vietnamese River Cobbler also known as Basa
Cobbler and Basa are a up market name for Catfish, which Australia have shed loads in our rivers and sea.

Bloody pests, but they fight well on a line, just watch the spikes when getting the hook out.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read loads of studies linking saturated/animal/ fish fats to IR. I'm sure there are loads of studies disputing that

I KNOW they raise me. I was just pondering that maybe I ' notice' it more as I have such a small window of fluctuations. ??? Obviously there are some 'huh ?' moments but I do seem to be able to figure things out and what causes me to be IR and more so since starting insulin.
Cobbler and Basa are a up market name for Catfish, which Australia have shed loads in our rivers and sea.

Bloody pests, but they fight well on a line, just watch the spikes when getting the hook out.
that is one fish I can't stand. Makes me nauseous everytime. I don't eat big fish like shark swordfish not only for mercury but they're more like a steak and taste nothing like it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ok. Spike is an overstatement haha
Slightly delayed. If I take it with insulin and eat and I start at 85, I stay at 85. If I take it away from insulin I'll rise to about 105. Not a huge amount of course but a large percentage when I normally have a very small window and rarely rise and you both know I'm just a tad OCD!!!

With such a small rise I wouldn't be worried at all, that's about 1mmol/l if I'm not mistaken.

Protein alone raises my bg levels in the absence of insulin, quite a bit more than you @Kristin251 so I have to bolus for it.

Reactions: Prem51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The one to really avoid is Vietnamese River Cobbler also known as Basa - I watched a documentary where the fish were farmed in a river about 50 yards downstream from a sewer outlet dumping raw sewage in to the river. When you cross question chippy or cafe owners its surprising the amount of River Cobbler that finds its way on to the menu as 'Fish' as in 'Fish & Chips'.
I see that Aldi have taken Basa off their shelves for over a week now. Sign says temporarily unavailable, Wonder if they watched the same documentary.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
There are newspapers in the UK (and I'm sure elsewhere around the world) that are just not, well, true. These are the types of papers who ran mock-up reproductions of Iraqi hostage abuse (Piers Morgan now making lots of money in the US - seems to be where our disgraced and besmirched go these days), who ran stories based on hacking the answerphones of murder victims and their families, and who will "pay" for their news (though, hahaha Max Clifford).

I found a relatively interesting article that reports the results of a survey carried out on UK media. Some of the results may surprise Brits!

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/faceb...daily-star-according-bbc-commissioned-survey/

The Star, The Sun, The Mirror, The People, The Mail... not worth wrapping bones for the dog in, frankly. They employ hacks and ghouls, often at the behest of massive media moguls with their fingers in lots of special pies (Murdoch, eg). These are the people who will run pictures of dying children and call it "news", who will attack before they question, who believe setting people against each other is the way to sell lots and lots of copy. What's funny is they probably outsell some of the other titles higher in the list 2:1, and yet they rank at the bottom, so you gotta wonder why anyone buys them.

It surprised me that Huffington came so low. Then again, I guess people can't tell if they're being serious or not, but they've broken some seriously important stories in the past (It was them, surprisingly, who broken some of the Trump - Putin stories, e.g. NYT and Wash Post picked them up after the fact) I guess they're just not so familiar to us Brits.

Anyway. Sorry. As an aside: A quick walkthrough of UK media.

As for fish? Tinned tuna because it's cheap and easy. I mix it with enormous amounts of mayo, and then fold in some raw onion, sliced olives, tiny bits of cucumber (when I can be bothered) and dump the lot on a spinach salad dressed with lime juice and sesame oil.

Beyond that, not a fish fan.