Yo-Yo levels

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Obviously I can't sort this out for you (I wish I could) but my first step would be to throw away the insulin you currently have open - both types - and start with two fresh cartridges/pens. Let's rule out the highs being bad insulin.

Secondly, you seem to vary the times of your Levemir - don't! Set your basal at the same time of day twice a day.

Thirdly, I suspect that your 2.15pm 4.7 was just before whatever you had for lunch released all of its glucose into your blood - so although you thought you were falling, you were actually just about to rise. On top of that, you ate 15g carb - well, I'm not surprised you were in double figures 3 hours later - 15g carb and no insulin would have made my BG rise by about 12mmol. You were not hypo'ing at 4.7. The better course of action might have been to wait 20 minutes and test again - if you've dropped then correct with 5 or 6g carb - if you've not dropped, don't eat carb. Test again 20 minutes later.

TBH, I agree with the others that you need to do some basal testing to work out what's going on. Al the corrections are clouding the issue and making it much harder. In the end you need to try to see if Levemir can work for you, but if it can't, change basal.

Smidge

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Possibly reduce your daytime basal. But basal testing is the best way to go.

No blood test before dinner makes it slightly hard to understand.

More rapid absorption of a correction dose due to a bath won't make you go low. It just gets you to the right level, faster. A possibility is that the *previous* corrective dose was delayed, then the hot bath accelerated it and created an overlap (stacking).

Please could you:
-Do blood tests before each meal or other QA injection.
-never give a correction dose less than 4 hours after previous QA
- Record your basal doses (or did you skip 9pm Levemir?)

Really you need to start a fasting basal test asap. You are on a roller coaster and you need to reduce the number of variables to have any chance of figuring out what's going on.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think the only option is basal testing..

You gave corrective at 5pm and another QA at 6.45 without a test you just blind gave a dosage. You don't say what this large carb meal was... So ww have no clue about its GI.
9.15pm hypo after a correction and a large carb content meal- we don't whether this was a guestimated, home cooked or processed one rhich to be honest isn't always accurate...

I really do suggest if you want to stop these highs and the dips to give yourself (and us) some basal testing figures.

Reactions: 2 people