1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Yoghurt alternatives

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Rosieroo, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Rosieroo

Rosieroo LADA · Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a good yoghurt alternative apart from soy. Is coconut yoghurt ok. I want natural to have with some berries in the morning.
    I'm lada and take novomix in the morning and evening.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

2. mariavontrapp

mariavontrapp Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What is it you are looking for - dairy free, low carb?

3. Rosieroo

4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Have you checked the Alpro products? They do a plain yoghurt.

5. Rosieroo

6. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got some coconut cream from M&S last week to give it a try - I'm not s lover of cream or yogurt - the only dairy I eat is a bit of creme fraiche now and then, it was really nice and great with berries doesn't need sweetened for my taste - it's very rich so goes a long way roughly 2.5g carbs per 100g - it also made a fantastic ice cream with my freezing plate

• Like Like x 1
  7. badcat

badcat · Guest

I buy this via amazon. Its much, much thicker than the coconut milk you can buy in tins - its got the consistency of Greek yogurt and is very filling & nice with berries on its own, also makes great coconut yogurt
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/i8q/Grace-Premium-Coconut-Milk-Litre-Pack-12/B00CPMJCAK

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I avoided soya products for a while as there was flawed data ref breast cancer. Saw a talk by Professor Robert Thomas Oncologist and quite a big wiggy n profession and decided to actually have it again. I enjoy alpro yogurts. Prof said it is actually proven to decrease hormones so gone back to soya again but only 3-4 times a week in a ramekin with berries.

I also buy the Grace coconut milk mentioned by @badcat but only hubby uses it in curries. I have the brocolli and sauce from curry but not much else and it is good. Not tried it with breakast tho.

9. Rosieroo

Thank you for your replies and advise.
    I wanted to avoid soya products due to having hyperthyroid as I read it was not good for that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

10. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I cant think what else is an alternative to be honest thats dairy free. Thats quite a hard one to find.. pity they dont make almond anything. If milk can be made from almonds then you'd think yogurt from almond milk was feasible..

Just cant think of any alternative...

11. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. badcat

badcat · Guest

You can get almond milk yogurt ( nush) - seems to be very much a marmite thing tho' - I tried it and hated it, abt half the reviews I read felt the same, the other half thought people like me were mad!

13. Eldra

Eldra Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't get it, yoghurt is normally low carb in the first place, granted you don't buy the flavored ones or so, which have 17-25% sugar of course. The yogurt I buy (the Tesco one, about a pound for 500g) is 5.5% sugar. In fact I like it a lot, and my breakfast was coffee and a whole 500g pot of it (27.5g sugar and 25g proteins). My sugar went like:
    Before breakfast: 63 (3.5) - I was unexpectedly low when I woke up... I ate before my injection to account for that and removed 10g from the insulin carb count (I put 6 units instead of 8).
    1:30 later: 105 (5.8)
    2:30 later 132 (7.3)
    No spike and I ended at a correct value.

That being said, you may have your own reasons to look for a substitute (reducing calories, or you don't like natural yoghurt maybe?). This is just my opinion and taste, but I put the numbers here in case it may help you. After all data is data.

14. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

What I do miss is my fruit yogurt with berries and a sprinkle of the original all bran. I hate plain yogurt even with berries. I have bought frozen berries and am thinking of warming the berries through with a little sweetener then trying the plain yogurt on top with some cinnamon. Thought warming the berries through will release some juice

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook