Yoghurt

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Hi All, I'm disgusted with myself because I slipped off of my LCHF way of life and have put weight on again. I do like something after my main meal but recently this has gone into a couple of chocolate biscuits. I used to make Easiyo Yoghurt rather than buying shop bought stuff. Can I please ask if anyone else eats yoghurt or is there advice to avoid this?

I'm 64 now and really need to start taking this more seriously. I still only take 1 x Metformin a day as a precaution (according to my Nurse) but the Dr has prescribed Statins but I've not taken them and have refused to so whilst on has anyone had experience with these? Personally I think they are a cash cow and I've only heard bad things

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What about full fat Greek Yogurt? Tesco Finest doesn't add sugars.

INGREDIENTS: Greek Yogurt (Milk).

upload_2020-8-5_10-51-2.png

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat normal fat Greek yoghurt, and have done so for years before I was ever diabetic, and there's been no obvious reason for me to stop since. Ideally what you should avoid are the reduced fat and added fruit types, which are higher in carbs.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Thank you both so much. Just taken this photo from the Easiyo packet which is a full fat Greek with Coconut. Guess that’s a no brainer, I won’t continue with these. Unfortunately I don’t use Tesco & live in a Village but my Wife works in the Coop so I’ll see what she can find. Thank you again
4EC92ABF-65EA-4B46-836E-52E368921AF8.jpeg

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
You are kindness itself. I’ll send that photo to my Wife right now

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own yoghurt, with nothing other than milk and starter. The starter being a couple of spoons from the last batch.

Do you have a slow cooker, or warm airing cupboard, @Spirit01 ?

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
No I parted with it this week but I can make yoghurt in our Ninja Foodie. I was looking to buy rather than make it but I’ll give it a go

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I parted with it this week but I can make yoghurt in our Ninja Foodie. I was looking to buy rather than make it but I’ll give it a go

Ahhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhh. I have an Instant Pot (actually, I have two, but that's unimportant!).

I make mine with the UHT milk of my choosing - full fat or sometimes 50/50 full fat/semi-skimmed. Sometimes in the mornings I prefer it not too creamy. Personally, I make 2ltrs at a time, but that's just because I'm both greedy and lazy!

I put the UHT into the inner not, reserving about 200ml, in a jug. I add a couple of tablespoons of the last batch or every now and then I use a couple of dessert spoons of Yeo full fat, plain yoghurt. Mix it well, then add to the inner pot ans stir that well to ensure everything is evenly distributed, then switch on the Yoghurt setting (twice in the case of the Instant Pot as UHT milk doesn't require the heating phase), and ignore.

If I want it very thick I can add a couple of dessert spoons of dried milk powder, mixed in with the bit of milk and starter.

I usually do mine overnight, then put the inner pot into the fridge to chill, then decant into Tupperware containers. Some even make it in jars, in their inner pots for portion control.

I prefer this to shop bought any way. maybe give it a go?

This link might be helpful. "Ultra-Pasturised Milk" is the same as our UHT Milk, in "American".

Good luck with it!

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
I’ll certainly give it a go, I love cooking & food prep so I’ll definitely give this a go. I still like a bit of cake & last year I was making cake using coconut flour, delicious

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chocolate cake made with hazelnut meal/flour & erythritol and/or stevia is yummy!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll certainly give it a go, I love cooking & food prep so I’ll definitely give this a go. I still like a bit of cake & last year I was making cake using coconut flour, delicious

If you strain the yoghurt at the end, it can become almost like cream cheese, but as I said earlier, I can be a bit lazy like that.

Do you like clotted cream? I make the most fab clotted cream, in the Instant Pot (IP). In my view it's also much nicer than shop bought. A few weeks ago, my OH asked me to have a break from making it, as it was making his trousers shrink. Ahem.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
I don’t but would love to know how to. Problem is what do you eat it with ???

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
That’s a bit too complicated & fiddly for me plus I doubt we’ll get the cream & I don’t have a hot pot . Wife was unable to get the yoghurt that was suggested in the Coop but did bring a different one home. It has a higher sugar content but not as much as the Easiyo. Looks like I’ll be making my own as long as they have UHT milk

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a bit too complicated & fiddly for me plus I doubt we’ll get the cream & I don’t have a hot pot . Wife was unable to get the yoghurt that was suggested in the Coop but did bring a different one home. It has a higher sugar content but not as much as the Easiyo. Looks like I’ll be making my own as long as they have UHT milk

The cold start/UHT method is so simple. I love anything that works by ignoring something for a long time!

Yes, that lazy.)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I eat Light & Free Greek yogurt which has added fruit but no added sugar. Statins are not a diabetes medication and only have them if a full lipids profile has been given from a fasting blood test and the ratios are bad. Ignore a total cholesterol reading. I take them and I'm fine with them but my wife had very serious liver pain after 3 days and had to stop.