Type 2 Yogurt

poppy659

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m type2 with high cholesterol no medication for diabetes statin for cholesterol but my question is should I have low fat Greek yogurt or full fat I’m so confused being diabetic and high cholesterol

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Yerp very much full fat :)

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m type2 with high cholesterol no medication for diabetes statin for cholesterol but my question is should I have low fat Greek yogurt or full fat I’m so confused being diabetic and high cholesterol
The current thinking on dairy and saturated fat is well summarised in this article:

As a Type 2 diabetic trying to keep carbohydrate intake low, there is certainly merit to eating full fat dairy products. If your heart is healthy there is little indication that eating dairy products and saturated fat in general will do you any harm when eaten in moderation. Full fat dairy will also help you feel fuller for longer, reducing hunger that might lead you to eat other, less healthy alternatives.

Reactions: Pura Vida

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had several interesting conversations about dietary fats with the nurses at the clinic, and point out that the diet I eat is high fat, high saturated fat too, but my cholesterol levels have gone down. Not to the extent that they'd like, of course, but the Atorvastatin affected me really badly.
Sterols are actually vital in the maintenance of brain and nervous system, for hormones and other essential substances in the body, and so far no one has ever found an article reporting the benefits of lower cholesterol. It is reported as though it is a 'given' that it is good - no numbers, no research, just 'trust me on this' - and I say no - show me the numbers.

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hello all. I've been eating medium to low carb for 7 years now. I have full fat Greek yoghurt for breakfast every day. When you look at the carb content of full fat greek yoghurt v low fat, the low fat is higher in carbs with more sugar. My cholesterol hasn't gone up at all in that time neither has my weight since I originally lost 2 and a half stone. So good luck in deciding what to do.

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had several interesting conversations about dietary fats with the nurses at the clinic, and point out that the diet I eat is high fat, high saturated fat too, but my cholesterol levels have gone down. Not to the extent that they'd like, of course, but the Atorvastatin affected me really badly.
Sterols are actually vital in the maintenance of brain and nervous system, for hormones and other essential substances in the body, and so far no one has ever found an article reporting the benefits of lower cholesterol. It is reported as though it is a 'given' that it is good - no numbers, no research, just 'trust me on this' - and I say no - show me the numbers.
You are correct - it is taken as a given. It was long assumed that high total cholesterol levels caused Atherosclerosis.

You won't find many articles about it because the original research, and reporting about it, long predates the internet. Doctors don't question it much because arteries coated in plaque are something they can see and touch, and I assume that cholesterol is thought to be the 'glue' that binds it together.

Current thinking is that total cholesterol is less important than the composition of that cholesterol. LDL vs HDL or HDL vs total, and most recently, LDL particle size.

Out of curiosity, as your cholesterol levels have gone down on the high saturated fat diet, how has your total cholesterol to HDL ratio been? Has it changed?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are correct - it is taken as a given. It was long assumed that high total cholesterol levels caused Atherosclerosis.

You won't find many articles about it because the original research, and reporting about it, long predates the internet. Doctors don't question it much because arteries coated in plaque are something they can see and touch, and I assume that cholesterol is thought to be the 'glue' that binds it together.

Current thinking is that total cholesterol is less important than the composition of that cholesterol. LDL vs HDL or HDL vs total, and most recently, LDL particle size.

Out of curiosity, as your cholesterol levels have gone down on the high saturated fat diet, how has your total cholesterol to HDL ratio been? Has it changed?
Yes my cholesterol has dropped but I don't get access to my test results - they don't do that, they tell me when I enquire. They don't do the different sized LDL at all.

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes my cholesterol has dropped but I don't get access to my test results - they don't do that, they tell me when I enquire. They don't do the different sized LDL at all.
LDL sizes is a fairly new thing as I understand it (which isn't much). Doctors don't request tests for it unless heart disease has been diagnosed (and possibly not even then). I link this document because it makes specific reference to insulin resistance as a factor.

Total cholesterol is an old, blunt instrument of a test. The ratio of HDL ('healthy') cholesterol to total (all the other cholesterols) is current best practice at the GP level. I'm surprised your doctor doesn't provide access to your blood test results on request. My own GP prints them or emails them if I ask for it.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You should be able to see test results via the NHS App.

I assume all GPs have their systems connected.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be able to see test results via the NHS App.

I assume all GPs have their systems connected.
Not mine, I've asked them several times - they don't have the staff to do that, so they don't do it. I have even seen the GPs with printouts at appointments rather than accessing results online.

• Informative

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Not mine, I've asked them several times - they don't have the staff to do that, so they don't do it. I have even seen the GPs with printouts at appointments rather than accessing results online.
Have you signed up to the NHS app “My Diabetes My Way”? Assuming you use an NHS doctor, your results will automatically be listed there.

• Informative

septua

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you signed up to the NHS app “My Diabetes My Way”? Assuming you use an NHS doctor, your results will automatically be listed there.
I think this only operates in Scotland and a limited number of areas in England.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I think this only operates in Scotland and a limited number of areas in England.
Well, well, so it does! I assumed that as it was an NHS thing, it would be UK-wide! I am glad I am in Scotland then ;)

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own yogurt with 33% cream it’s delicious
o