yogurt

christinet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People in cars that don't use their indicators.
People who have attitude
Hi Dennus

Thanks for the reply. I think I get the gist of what you are saying. Basically I need to look at the carbohydrate level as a whole and not the "of which sugars are". If I am comparing items I should go for the one with the lowest whole carbohydrate - have I got it?????

If I was looking at a label for 100g are you able to give me an idea of the amount of carbohydrate as a total I should not go over as obviously I don't want to take in too much. I seem to think I have seen somewhere that if it is over 5 carbohydrate per 100g you shouldn't touch it.

I want to try and loose quite a bit of weight also. Do you have any brief tips you or anyone else can pass onto me to help with this as well (I think I have been doing it all wrong for such a long time and that is why I haven't been very successful) :(

Thank you for your time. This certainly looks like a great website and forums and I shall certainly start to have a good look through all the different topics as I am sure this will help me suceed as well.

Thanks again.

Christine

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Christine,

Dennis has explained it very well as usual. You're not alone in having been mislead by nutritional labelling, so don't worry about that.

We all have different 'rules of thumb' up to a point but, personally, I steer clear of anything with over 10g carbs per 100g. Between 5-10g is a much safer place to be, and below 5g best of all. That excludes all of the food that many diabetics are mistakenly advised to eat at every meal - bread, rice, pasta, potatoes. That's a price worth paying for normal blood sugars, though.

All the best,

fergus

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I bought some Diet Irish Yogurt and the only sweetener is Aspartame. Interestingly, although it says there is no added sugar, there is no account of the fruit that is added to each one. The Carbohydrates are 9 (or just over) and calories just 54 per 100g and 67 per pot. There's pro-biotic diet version too which is very nice.

Russ

christinet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who have attitude
Hi everyone

I do so much appreciate everyone's help in trying to help me understand how I can now start to try and get my sugar levels stable. I have diabetic retinopathy now and my eye sight is very poor and I have had lots of laser, detached retina etc etc, and I have been told that to help this condition I should try and get better sugar level control.

So I think I am starting to make sense of some of it.

Am I right in thinking that usually anything low fat will mean higher carbs, and should I stay away from low fat? The problem is that I also need to loose a few stone in weight. Can anyone guide me to the best forum to go to regarding weight loss and the things I should be looking for on food labelling and also the types of food I should be eating / not eating as I believe I have been doing it all wrong and must re-educate myself and get onto the right track.

I have been to a dietician before but in the main they seem to just tell you what foods to stick to which can be very boring and give you an idea of portion size. It would be so nice to understand it properly and that way I can maybe have some choice from time to time and hopefully in that way be able to stick to a weight reducing diet.

Once again thanks to everyone.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hello Christine,

I think you're doing brilliantly, because you seem to have the right attitude in that you want to learn what's best and apply it. There is so much advice and you might find it (least not from many of us) quite confusing. Bit by bit you will grasp what is right for you.

Low fat doesn't mean higher carbs. One of the reasons diabetics should steer clear of a lot of high fat food is because the fatter you are the more inclined you will be towards higher bs levels - that can apply to anyone. The fatter you are MAY mean you are more prone to diabetes, but not always. As a matter of interest a high fat and high protein diet is one recommended by Atkins followers. They think you can eat all the fat and protein you like (with minimal carbs) and lose weight and be healthy. I don't agree and many on here will concur with that.

There is a lot to be said for a higher protein and lower carb diet. Think of carbs as sugar - the only difference is that they're called COMPLEX carboydrate that take time to get into your system, whereas SIMPLE carbohydrate, such as honey, sugar and so on, get into your system straight away.

Consider a low GI diet. That's Low Glycemic Index. It means the lower the GI rating for any food the better. It's not a fad diet, it's a sensible way of eating and you should never be hungry. Not everyone can stick to it but the principles make sense. Have a look at http://www.glycemicindex.com for plenty of info.

Good luck,

Russ

christinet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who have attitude
Hi
Thanks for the reply Russ and your good wishes.

I believe after everything I have read, and I have only read a small amount as there is so much here on the subject.

But can anyone give me the name of any good, fairly basic and not complicated books that I can buy which will list foods and their carbs, so I have a quick easy reference which will show me low carb foods.

Does following low carb mean that I should not eat things like jacket potatoe, bread, pasta. I ask this as a long time ago I was told by the dietician to eat pasta, rice, jacket spud etc.

Also I notice for "snacking" people suggest nuts. Is this any type e.g. peanuts, please can someone suggest some good snacking foods. I know I should try not to snack, and maybe fruit is the way to go for snacking, but sometimes it must be nice to have something a little different.

By the way I have tried the Tesco Irish yogurt and it is quite nice.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Take care.

Christine T

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Christine,

I have always found this to be a useful website for GI and carb information:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informatio ... table.html

but unfortunately you can't carry a website round the shops with you, and a lot of people have recommended a Collins Gem book called "Carb Counter". This is small enough to take shopping with you for an instant guide to foods that don't have the carb content listed (like fruit & veg).

If you want to try a low-carb diet then you will need to cut out all wheat and oat products, pasta, rice and potatoes. These are often referred to as "empty" carbs as they provide very little other than starch. Instead you might just want to try cutting down on these to see what affect that has on your BS.

If you need a between meals snack then nuts are very good because they are high protein and low carb, but steer clear of peanuts - these are not nuts at all but are members of the pea family and are extremely high in carbs.

christinet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who have attitude
Hi Dennis and Ally

Thank you for that I found it interesting. I will certainly try and get hold of the little booklet that you mention, and have a look at the leaflets that Ally said about.. I will let you know how it is going.

I can't believe how much wrong information I have been given in the past by so called "professionals", I only wish that I had known about these forums a lot sooner.

Thanks again and take care.

ChristineT

ally5555

chris yes u are right but most of the time it is from doctors and some nurses - honestly it drives me insane.

I have worked with the 2 practices alot and Ihave them mostly giving the same info. I think alos in the past it has been rather difficult for any of us to criticise others.

Should have mentionesd the BHF book has a little credit card in it which is useful to carry around!

weepete

Dislikes
injustice
Thank you for the introduction to easiyo, it is gorgeous and can save money too. Iam still experimenting with my carbs. I am now down to 12stone 4 from 13stone 3.The thing that has really impressed me is that Ino longer crave food. i suppose that I will have to try the low carb pasta now.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lidl's wholemilk Greak yoghurt is delicious and creamy. It has a little fat, but that's not on my banned list. In fact most Greek yoghurt is lovely. Fage Greek yoghurt sold at most supermarkets has a natural 0% fat one. I've not bought it, but it's probably low sugar.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
My Indian friends serve plain yoghurt with curries, so why not savoury yog :?: :idea: :?:

I like peanut butter, but how do you eat it without bread? I've just tried with plain yog & its tastes good :wink:

jenrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also make my own yoghurt,sugar free and tastes great. EasiYo, very easy, just sit container in boiling water and hey presto!! Lots of different flavours, and the good thing for me is that it lasts up to two weeks in the refrigerator.

I found the carb. info from Bowell really useful too, being newly diagnosed I am still a bit lost on what to look for on packaging, so thank you for that.

NannaB
Hi

Interesting read about Easiyo. Which flavours are ok for type 2 please.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
This all got a bit confusing for me and I hope someone can answer a simple question please. I eat Paleolithic. I was diagnosed type 2 in February & have already turned it on its head by eating this way. I have drastically cut my portion sizes and have lost 22lbs. I am on 1 Metformin a day (resisted 2) & already my nurse is talking about me coming off altogether. The only "treat" I allow myself is Easiyo yoghurt which of course I make myself. Does anyone else use this?

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my own with Easiyo, they do several unsweetened variaties! really easy to make and works out cheaper than being it in tubs.

Morning just seen your post about easiyo yogurts now I seen them advertising them last night but they didn't say how much carbs,sugar or fat was in them ? Can you answer before I order