Yogurts

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can anyone reccomend a good natural yogurt which is low on sugar but not too high on fat. I’ve been taking the Alpro Greek Style Plain yoghurt alternative contains 2.5g of sugar per 100g. but the pots are so big and ( 400g) and they don’t feel right . Thoughts would be appreciated .

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are in UK - Lidl sells a delicious plain Greek yoghurt in sets of 4 small containers so it's easy to limit your intake. Those big pots are just too tempting!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the time I opt for the Fage/Total 5% fat version in the small 150g size. I don't always eat the whole pot at once - it' keeps OK in the fridge for a while after being opened - I've kept a collection of the clear plastic lids to replace the foil tear off tops with. And I don't mind a bit of fat either as I need it to replace the carby fuel I've now cut right down on, but as @Goonergal says it comes in lower and no fat versions too.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really like yoghurt but Mrs A swears by Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" full fat. They do a low fat version as well. Also recommended is Lidl's full fat version.

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most of the time I opt for the Fage/Total 5% fat version in the small 150g size. I don't always eat the whole pot at once - it' keeps OK in the fridge for a while after being opened - I've kept a collection of the clear plastic lids to replace the foil tear off tops with. And I don't mind a bit of fat either as I need it to replace the carby fuel I've now cut right down on, but as @Goonergal says it comes in lower and no fat versions too.
Lol my problem was I eat to many of these

• Agree
Reactions: filly and Robbity

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In case anyone isn't aware: low-fat and zero-fat yoghurts usually have carbs added to maintain texture.
Not a fan of low fat yogurts , I want the most natural low sugar in small pots

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I really like yogurts, but they contain a lot of sugar, so I will make homemade ones. Can anyone share the recipe?
Hi I’ve not got time to make yogurts I’m searching for one that’s not low fat and reasonable sugar level

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been having the alpro plain , not low fat

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the alpro plain with coconut, tastes really good, I thought it was yogurt

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Just started making my own, it's so simple and takes very little time.
I use whole milk, but any type will do, heat it until it just gets to boiling point, leav it to cool enough so that I can stick my little finger in without any discomfort. Remove any skin that forms then add a small pot of yoghurt, it has to be one with the live culture's. You can buy starter culture's but a pot of yog or even a few spoons of a previous batch will do the trick. I pop it into a clean kilner jar the put it somewhere warm, mine goes into the cupboard that contains the hot water tank. I usually leave it there overnight then transfer it to the fridge the next morning.
No idea how much fat, protein or carbs it contains, but it is delicious, as good or better than any I've bought.