You’ve cut out too much sugar!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4) Are hypos that you don’t feel unwell with dangerous for type 2 no insulin or medication for diabetes? 3.0-3.9 blood sugar?

It can still be dangerous if you are operating machineries etc...

In a normal healthy individual, their brain is not glucose impaired. They will be fine operating below 4 mmol. For T2D that have had high glucose levels for significant period, this means we likely have a brain energy gap when glucose drops, but we may not have a corresponding increase in ketones to make up for the glucose shortfall (our circulating insulin level is still high).

So yes, a gradual stepwise carbs/glucose reduction will help to reduce the occurrence and dangers of such hypo events.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I guess what I’m asking you guys is:-
1) Do I need a certain amount of sugar a day? If so how much?
2) Can you drop hab1c too quickly? Should/can I do something to undo this?
3) Do you think my insulin resistance theory is possible? Or am I totally miss understanding things?
4) Are hypos that you don’t feel unwell with dangerous for type 2 no insulin or medication for diabetes? 3.0-3.9 blood sugar?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts and input into this. I’m starting to think I trust a few random strangers on the internet more than I trust the HCPs ‘dedicated to improving my health’.

Hi Fndwheelie,
In this forum you are asking people with real practical experience of the sharp end of Diabetes rather than a random HCP who may have had as much as 2hrs training on Nutrition and Diet and is used to T2 patients who on average get progressively worse.
So asking here makes sense - right?

We are not doctors, so can only talk from our experience, but since you are not on any BG lowering drugs, our advice is very unlikely to be harmful - unlike that of your DN!
My view on your questions:
1. No, stable sugar is the last thing you should consider. If you tend to get hypo, relative Hypo or near Hypo overnight, then add a little high Glycenmic Index carbs (.such as Almonds) to your evening meal, or have them as a bedtime snack.
2. Yes and No. Some people feel awful with false Hypos when they drop BG quickly - but this won't last, but as some have mentioned that could be a problem when driving or operating machinery (while the false hypo lasts).
4. See my answer above.

Congrats on your progress,
Ian

Reactions: Fndwheelie