You are 20 times more likely to have an amputation...

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
I wasn't told about this site on the day but if they had warned me against it I would probably have found it sooner!!!
I found it by accident when I was searching for the one the surgery had recommended I join. Very glad I did!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about your heart attacks; make sure you are given proper medical treatment and don't be alone!
Thank you. Long time no see. I am awaiting a re-plumbing job - triple bypass, so it should suffice for a few more years (in theory that is)

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Don't know if this is really related but because of a motorbike accident a few years ago I have had an injury to my shin that hasn't healed and got infected, the local hospital said, at the time of the accident, that amputation was the only way forward, my better half got upset about this and demanded a second opinion and as a result of this I was taken to a different hospital where the surgeon put me back together with pins and plates. Since then, like I said it has become infected and I've been diagnosed with type 3c diabetes and again the local hospital wants to amputate but after a very long wait I was referred back to the surgeon who fixed me the first time and he is removing the pins and plates and mentioned plastic surgery if things were bad...gulp, on Tuesday, anyway this has all led me to think about the postcode lottery health service that still seems to exist.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Long time no see. I am awaiting a re-plumbing job - triple bypass, so it should suffice for a few more years (in theory that is)

Been recovering from hip replacements; good job I'm not a dog or I would still have another 2 to go!!!!

I know quite a few people who have had triple bypasses and they have been (and still are fine) so good luck.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been recovering from hip replacements; god job I'm not a dog or I would still have another 2 to go!!!!

I know quite a few people who have had triple bypasses and they have been (and still are fine) so good luck.
Prognosis is better than the Do Nowt option. The guy in the bed opposite has had it done twice, one triple at 42, and a quadruple about 10 years ago. He has suspected electrical issues, but says plumbing is fine. He is 82, My only worry is that I had two strokes about 10 years ago, and only half a brain cell left. Be a shame to lose it eh?
My car mechanic had a triple + valve replacement last year, and he was servicing my car a couple of months after, so yes, I expect to be better off afterwards. the hospital I am going to has a regular production line going, so they should know what they are doing. Awaiting my Just-in-time delivery to get a slot. This is nothing to do with amputations, but is related to being long term diabetic,

Reactions: Arab Horse

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doing nothing is a poor option with a poor prognosis and often fatal result..

My husband has an appalling diet, is a very heavy drinker, ignores all the free medicals on offer from the GPs surgery so I have now given up the unequal struggle to get him to do anything.

And all this despite the fact that his father and oldest brother died of heart attacks and his other brother has also had a near fatal heart attack,

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Knowledge and practice is so variable. Some obviously flout guidelines (dr unwin for one!) and others blindly follow.
My GP told me that whatever works is the correct path to follow. Here in Alberta the monitor was free as long as you buy 100 test strips ($65 CDN) and they were covered except for $15 by my insurance. I am amazed at medical advice negating the value of constant testing, I am sure I would be dead by now if I could not accurately determine what my blood glucose levels were doing after eating and drinking, especially regarding breads and starchy vegetables. I never believe it when someone tells me that food X is good for me, I always trust my blood glucose monitor...

P.S. An added point is that my GP has me going for A1C tests every 3 months...

Reactions: Arab Horse