1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

You can't always believe what you read.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by nomoredonuts, Apr 16, 2019.

1. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I thought of calling this Fake News, but I want to avoid any references to he-who-shall-not-be-named...
    And by way of a disclaimer, I don't want this too taken mega-seriously, but I'd settle for any newbies who read it and realise that unexpected BG readings do occur.
    Us old hands ( and fingers) get the odd rogue number and dismiss them in favour of watching a general trend, and although I'm very fond of dismissing high ones, I've never had a low one like this:
    IMG_2271.jpg
    I would be interested to know if this is the lowest ever recorded?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Low battery ? :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

My Libre reported a 0.7.
    I know this was fake news because I was alert enough to see it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Colin Crowhurst

Colin Crowhurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

third week after dx I had a reading of 1.4; myself and the long haired General looked and laughed, no chance it was right!

• Like Like x 1
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I've had a 2.4 on a libre and I am inclined to believe it as it was at night time and I do sometimes get low readings then, although not normally below 3. If I was an insulin user it would concern me as it could potentially go even lower, but as I am diet only it's fine. If I wake when it's low then it rectifies itself naturally within seconds.

6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I've been at 2.6. I retested, and verified it. I was fine, but very hungry. Had lunch not been readdy, I might have eaten the table leg.

When I have used the Libre, I'd regularly see 2.2, but mainly overnights, when I was asleep, so put it down to compression lows.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm crestfallen, despondent and downhearted. Bang goes my claim for a record. And beaten by a Mod!

• Funny Funny x 8
  8. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve had many ridiculously low readings in times that my control was a bit all over the place! Not unusual for me to see a 1.2mmol or the word “lo” at times, never had a number below 1.2mmol though that could just be down to my meters range x

9. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Believe it or not the lowest I ever had on a meter was 1.3 I had severe auras and red stars interfering, but I chanced upon left-over food in the Sports Hall where I was constructing a stage set for Romeo & Juliet, on my own and at 23.45. I wolfed the whole lot down and initially had to lie on a crash mat because I was going in and out of consciousness. The next day was a long fight against hyperglycaemia! It's hard to say what the highest is, because in several cases, including while being an in-patient, the meter just said Hi - so friendly!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Lo is short for hello which is sort of a half hearted friendly. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’ve had a verified (by three tests one after the other) hypo at 0.9, 1.0 and 0.9mmol. Felt a bit wobbly but am convinced I can’t have really been that low. I’ve also got the record for the highest measured bg in a patient who survived at my hospital’s intensive care usit of 66. Sadly I didn’t get a certificate.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had a 1.8 but I might have had the meter upside down.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You really need to worry when you get this:

download.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Have you verified these low readings with a finger prick?
    Libre is renowned for reporting false lows when you put pressure on it which is easier to do than you think when you are sleeping.

15. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

@helensaramay I have verified 2 night time lows at 3.4 and 3.2. Of course it's difficult to verify most of them as I am usually asleep and if I wake naturally the liver dump has already started. I have also had daytime ones in the 3s briefly before my liver helps out. I always wondered why my HbA1cs were usually lower than I thought they would be and it makes sense that these night time lows help to bring down the average.

#15 zand, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  16. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

@helensaramay I have also noticed that I only get lows below 4 at night time when I have had a spike of 9 or higher during the day. Whilst I am a classic T2 I have wondered if it's a type of very mild RH after spikes. If my BGs stay between 5 and 6 all day then they usually stay between 5 and 6 all night.

17. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I had some very low (around 2-2.5 mark} readings on my Libre sensors when I activated them after a fairly short acclimatization time - I have now learned to let them sit for 48 hours before activation to stop them telling me I'm at death's door... I only ever saw these scary lows for a couple of days following the short acclimatization times, after that they had settled and gave me sensible results.

Since I'd never seen any such lows on my Contour meter. had any adverse symptoms, or actually died overnight, I'd never believed what I saw when checked after I woke up those next mornings. But I will admit to a few :eek::***::eek: moments when I first saw those graphs!

sensor_immediate_activation_levels.png

Robbity

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. enb54

enb54 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I accumulate another 2 months worth of results I'll do as you did and post my Excel tracking results, I think it is very beneficial to all to see what happens to us over time. Thanks for your candor...

19. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know that you can get lower readings on insulin or other medication but for a type 2 (on no meds?), that must be unusual??? Would you treat that at all or just leave it?, and how long before it went back up?

20. Swiggy

Swiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This thread has made me smile. My lowest ever reading is 5.8 lol.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook