You couldn't make it up ..... :(

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Education Secretary, Nicky Morgan, has announced that all School Children will be given a local Library ticket, to ensure that Britain is "the most literate country in Europe".

In the meantime, over 300 Municipal libraries have closed over the past few years and many others are open reduced hours, and/or with unskilled volunteers who may mean well, but who aren't really equipped to run a library properly or to encourage literacy, all due to Government austerity measures. How can kids go to their local library when it doesn't exist? :mad: :mad:

Sorry - this probably ought to be on the Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggghh thread but, as someone who has loved books and reading all my life, it makes my blood boil.

.... and breathe; and relax ......

Reactions: 8 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
There’s no call for local libraries; terrible waste of money.

There are perfectly good libraries at Oxbridge!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
There’s no call for local libraries; terrible waste of money.

There are perfectly good libraries at Oxbridge!
ç
So how do they aim for Oxbridge without the available knowledge? Less well off kids also make it to universities...with the help of their local library and the amazing M/C central libraryI have four nephews with full time mum and only dad was working and not on amazing wage, all four went through uni, one becoming a Barrister, another a teacher of physics, an accountant and a doctor. Not bad for kids from a council estate mostly using the local library. Some books were treats from grandparents but a lot of studying was done in the local library where books are used for free. One of my neighbours son has just done a law degree and got a first, I remember his dad paying out £1200 for books that will now gather dust on a shelf. Local libraries are some kids salvation when they have brains but little money

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
C

chris lowe

The Education Secretary, Nicky Morgan, has announced that all School Children will be given a local Library ticket, to ensure that Britain is "the most literate country in Europe".

In the meantime, over 300 Municipal libraries have closed over the past few years and many others are open reduced hours, and/or with unskilled volunteers who may mean well, but who aren't really equipped to run a library properly or to encourage literacy, all due to Government austerity measures. How can kids go to their local library when it doesn't exist? :mad: :mad:

Sorry - this probably ought to be on the Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggghh thread but, as someone who has loved books and reading all my life, it makes my blood boil.

.... and breathe; and relax ......
I thought the same thing when I read it. I think it was Birmingham Council has said that libraries are not allowed to buy new books. :grumpy:

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
ç
So how do they aim for Oxbridge without the available knowledge? Less well off kids also make it to universities...with the help of their local library and the amazing M/C central libraryI have four nephews with full time mum and only dad was working and not on amazing wage, all four went through uni, one becoming a Barrister, another a teacher of physics, an accountant and a doctor. Not bad for kids from a council estate mostly using the local library. Some books were treats from grandparents but a lot of studying was done in the local library where books are used for free. One of my neighbours son has just done a law degree and got a first, I remember his dad paying out £1200 for books that will now gather dust on a shelf. Local libraries are some kids salvation when they have brains but little money

Poohtiggy, you have made my point. Less well-off kids do make it to university though they are the exception to the rule unlike well-off kids. The exception to the rule for well-off kids is that some of them don't make it to university. Unequal chances etc; arms tied behind backs. Some call it social engineering. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The fact is that fewer and fewer people are using libraries nowadays with digital ebooks largely replacing actual books and the internet providing a wealth of information that is largely free.

Perhaps if libraries started to lend ebooks in formats that most people use ie .mobi and AZW3 (kindle) and EPUB another popular format that might encourage more people to use them, but the fact remains that people now want to buy and download there reading material instantly without leaving the house.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Our local library service in Lewisham has started to offer ebook lending. Having said that, I've never used it.

In response to all those who ask how kids are supposed to learn without a local library, the world has changed dramatically. If you can go to a library, you can use school resources to get on line and find the research information you need. Look at the amount of information that is regularly shared on here through this mechanism. Critical thinking a questioning mind is most important in both book and Internet learning.

Now, reading for pleasure is a different matter. I haven't been to our local library in four years, mainly due to the rise of ebooks and the removal of the wholesale agreements that have had a huge impact on prices. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't have libraries, but the world has changed and most classics are now free on kindle. Even less well off kids seem to have phones or tablets, so they need to gain the joy of reading. I'm not sure that library books necessarily provide that.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
ç

Here, here, I love books, I love reading, it's just awesome.:happy: Our library is now called an Activity centre ( or something on these lines) I still like to pop in, but I did prefer the old library and how it was, but I know we have to move with the times, it's been remodeled and the main colour is now bright pink :arghh:

Reactions: 4 people

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I thought the same thing when I read it. I think it was Birmingham Council has said that libraries are not allowed to buy new books. :grumpy:
I work in Sandwell Libraries, and we buy lots of new books. We also use our libraries as community hubs for groups , we also encourage children to come in by arranging lots of craft activities for them. Long live the library I say !!!

Reactions: 9 people