Your Advice Has Worked Wonders In Just 7 Days

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alicki There are carbs in leafy green veg, but in acceptable quantities unless you eat pounds of them. Carrots are a different matter, nearly as 'carby' as potatoes - I have them occasionally as a small portion of a third vegetable, or as a garnish (on salad for instance). As a general rule, all root veg, peas, sweetcorn are too carby for most, depends on your individual tolerance, I would exclude them all at first, then introduce back carefully, 'eating to the meter'.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Alicki - yes one week. Sean what a great story , that blood pressure level is amazing.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So, I've just completed week 2.

My pre- diagnosis BG was 12.6

My week 1 average was 7.29

This week's average was 4.65

I just can't believe it!

And the catalyst was advice from this community so thank you.

I am by nature pragmatic and intensely focused, so I have taken all people have offered by way of advice, researched and read widely, started and unremittingly stuck to a LCHF diet with a simple range of supplements, tested 4 times daily and lost 10lbs so far.

I am determined to stick to the regime as a lifestyle and play my part in supporting others as they have supported me.

Thank you all. Kevin

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
An average of 4.65 seems very low especially at such an early stage.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely brilliant, Kevin. Sorted! It's that easy'!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just returned from the Dr - best he's seen in a long time. I told him the trigger was this community and a commitment to educating myself and getting ahead of the curve. Now let's see if week 3 shows it to be a blip or not...fingers crossed :)

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just returned from the Dr - best he's seen in a long time. I told him the trigger was this community and a commitment to educating myself and getting ahead of the curve. Now let's see if week 3 shows it to be a blip or not...fingers crossed :)
Great results.. well done. I'm sure you can keep it up ...you know you are going to keep yourself fit and well.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well week 3 completed yesterday.

Average BS for the week 4.8, so now feels stable.

BP down from 160/95 to 130/80 and still dropping.

Lost 18lbs in weight - I was pretty lean to start with, but must be that Personal Fat Threshold all the books have been talking about.

LCHF for me includes a weekly 36 hour fast.

Doing 4 hours a week in the gym, resistance training and loving it - never thought I'd say that. Would like to start cardio, but doc has alter that until I get results from my ETT.

No migraines in three weeks - life time first.

Still struggling with constipation (sorry) if I don't keep up the salt, potts and mag and lots of water, so added a supplement for these.

Loving the food, but missing good quality bread a little.

Typical of me, I want the next 9 weeks to fly by so that I can get my new lipid panel and HbAC1 , but as my wife Yvonne keeps nudging me "let's just enjoy life, it's all going the right direction". :)

Reactions: 7 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Now my wife is awake I'm able to take this mornings BP and Im so excited (that will send it soaring ...haha). Anyway it was 123/73....the best in probs 20 years. Woooooooo:)

Reactions: 3 people

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @KevinPotts!! This community changed my life too. Off all BP meds and statins. Bloods remain stable in the high 4's/low 5's, BP averaging 115/78 and weight loss continous.
Dont go back....keep focus. Again...well done!

Reactions: 5 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow NurseDee that's an amazing BP, inspires me to keep pressing on! What were you before BP meds?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@KevinPotts fantastic lifestyle change. Weight loss is a great side affect. You have given me renewed inspiration. I was getting bored with lchf but your posts have kicked me in the butt.
Thank you. :)
Keep inspiring by sharing. We all have a position in this community and you're myinspiration right now.
Thank you again. You make a huge difference to your own health maintenance and nudging us 'oldies' in the community. Mind you I'm easily distracted but you're just what I needed this morning.
Ketosis here I come. :)

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great stuff ickihun, you just keep going for it. The doc even said I only need to test twice a day now....but nervous about that, but i'll give it a go. I'll do another update next Thursday which will then be 4 weeks post diag. I'm still a baby :)

Typicaltwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Royalty, Religion, Gardening, Baking, Piston heads, vegans
Do vegetables (carrots, green leafy count as carbs?). Well done Kevin, I'm new too so happy for advice and seeing results on carbs. Any weight changes??
Root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, swedes etc. contain higher levels of carbs... so do pulses and non-green beans (butterbeans, kidney beans et al).

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just completed week 4 and feeling happy and very positive.

Here are the highlights:

Weekly BG average: 4.82

Weight: now 12 stone/168lbs/76kg - lost 21lbs in 4 weeks

Size: Bought and fitted into my first pair of 30" waist jeans this week since I was in my early 20's...boy did I feel great, all my tops are now comfortably medium.

Blood Pressure: down to morning average of 125/73 from height of 160/95 4 weeks ago.

Fasting: once a week for 42 hours (start at 7pm after dinner on Monday, go through Tuesday and eat brekkie at 1pm, Wednesday) ...I can't believe it but it feels great.

Week 5 target, remain stable, reduce BP some more, lose 2lbs.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results in a very short time. Do you thinking the fasting has had a lot to do with these fab results? I will use you as an inspiration in my journey!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be honest I don't know as a number of variables were implemented concurrently. LCHF, fasting, more resistance training in the gym, a natural commitment to self discipline. I like to think it has been the combination. Dr Jason Fung would state that intermittent fasting is even more powerful than the impact of a strict (20g or lower) LCHF diet. I just know that without a shadow of any doubt, all my metabolic markers are coming back into line. Just waiting another 8 weeks or so for my next HbA1C.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Week 5 completed:

Average BG: 4.65

Average BP: 125/77

Waist: 30"

Trig: 1.5

HDL: 2.0

Now running again every morning

One 42 hours session each week

I am honestly feeling healthier and more full of life than I have done in 30 years +

:) :) :)