Your personal highs & lows in 2014

C

chris lowe

Highs - Delivering a 2 year project at work that I had worked 70-100 hours a week at. Great to succeed at something that I had lived and breathed.
Lows - Double vision in December and being diagnosed with 4th nerve palsy and having to get used to having glasses.
4th nerve palsy sound horrible (is it like Bells Palsy) I hope 2015 is happy and healthier. Maybe working 70 hour plus weeks was a factor, it's easy to get runddown and low when working like that.

Reactions: 5 people
C

chris lowe

The low part of this year was losing my mum in March...:(.....She was 92 and at least she died peacefully in her sleep...No pain, no suffering, no anguish..If I had a choice on how to depart this world, that's how I'd like to go....Believe this or not, guys, the highlight of this year is discovering this web site, communicating with like minded people, struggling with the same health issues, and winning (or losing) the same battles ......and I'm located on the other side of the world!!(Australia)...It's sort of like Diabetic facebook without idiots:)!!!! I hope to get to know you guys more in the coming months and years! A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL:);):happy:
So sorry to hear about losing your Mum. It's not easy even when they've led a full and long life. You just expect them to always be there. Hope next year is better for you and yours

Reactions: 6 people

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4th nerve palsy sound horrible (is it like Bells Palsy) I hope 2015 is happy and healthier. Maybe working 70 hour plus weeks was a factor, it's easy to get runddown and low when working like that.

Similar but more a weakness of the superior oblique muscle which causes the eyes to not move together. Not sure if the work hours directly contributed but can't have helped.

Janiept

Expert
Not a good year. I started as a relatively healthy diabetic and am ending it with several chronic health conditions and feeling as if I have aged at least 10 years.
I am a walking, rattling pharmacy with my head in a complete fog of medication. Not fun. Let's hope next year's better.
Health and happiness to all in 2015.
Oh and thanks to all the lovely people on this forum who have helped me keep my sanity this year, You are all great !!!

Reactions: 7 people

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
So sorry to hear about losing your Mum. It's not easy even when they've led a full and long life. You just expect them to always be there. Hope next year is better for you and yours
Thanks for your wonderful comments.......Have a great, healthy, happy and prosperous 2015!!!!!:)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well year started much as any other, bobbing along nicely maintaining my 11st weight loss and getting a lovely Hba1c of 5.8, a further reduction in meds.

Then September arrived and so began the worst 4 months of my life so far, end of September hubby lost his job, I broke my ankle on my sons birthday, lost my darling mum suddenly and too soon on the 23rd October then 8th December my husband lost his mother, then on Christmas Day hubby lost a dear friend totally out if the blue at the age of 46.

I am usually a glass half full person but not at the moment, although I am now reunited with my brother and his family after 7 years of him not talking to any of us, pity it took losing my mum for this to happen. My sugars did go up a bit and my last Hba1c in December was up a bit at 6.4 but not too bad all things considered so back on track

Not seeing the new year in this year, will go to bed with a good book!

Hope 2015 is a happy and healthy one for you and yours :)

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well year started much as any other, bobbing along nicely maintaining my 11st weight loss and getting a lovely Hba1c of 5.8, a further reduction in meds.

Then September arrived and so began the worst 4 months of my life so far, end of September hubby lost his job, I broke my ankle on my sons birthday, lost my darling mum suddenly and too soon on the 23rd October then 8th December my husband lost his mother, then on Christmas Day hubby lost a dear friend totally out if the blue at the age of 46.

I am usually a glass half full person but not at the moment, although I am now reunited with my brother and his family after 7 years of him not talking to any of us, pity it took losing my mum for this to happen. My sugars did go up a bit and my last Hba1c in December was up a bit at 6.4 but not too bad all things considered so back on track

Sending some ((((((( hugs ))))))) x

All the best for a more positive, healthier and a happier 2015.

RRB

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low was starting the year in intensive care unit after major surgery I had been waiting for. Worst time of my life.

Highs, celebrating 40 years of marriage, and we are still best mates: coming off diabetes medication: starting to post on forum after lurking for ages: encouragement from many members has been just what I needed.

Be well and be blessed one and all.

Reactions: 10 people
C

chris lowe

Well year started much as any other, bobbing along nicelmaintaining my 11st weight loss and getting a lovely Hba1c of 5.8, a further reduction in meds.

what an awful time you've had so really hope that next year is better for you and your family. Hopefully the glass will be full soon

C

chris lowe

Low was starting the year in intensive care unit after major surgery I had been waiting for. Worst time of my life.

Highs, celebrating 40 years of marriage, and we are still best mates: coming off diabetes medication: starting to post on forum after lurking for ages: encouragement from many members has been just what I needed.

Be well and be blessed one and all.[/QUOsoon
congratulation on 40 years and well done for coming off meds. Have a good year :)

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Not a good year. I started as a relatively healthy diabetic and am ending it with several chronic health conditions and feeling as if I have aged at least 10 years.
I am a walking, rattling pharmacy with my head in a complete fog of medication. Not fun. Let's hope next year's better.
Health and happiness to all in 2015.
Oh and thanks to all the lovely people on this forum who have helped me keep my sanity this year, You are all great !!!
Get well soon @Janiept x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been all over the place with his question as an awful lot has happened, well here goes

Low- feeling really ?!,..);: for the first few months
High - being diagnosed in June for RH!
And not having to put up with the symptoms!

Low- the OH getting T2

High- getting her sorted more or less in the last few weeks. (Still a long way to go)

Low - Worrying about financial matters, even though my wife is disabled we don't qualify for benefits because my pension is just above the limit (£5).

High - getting extra hours in my part time job to cover the bills. (Just!!!)

Low - Tranmere getting relegated and really struggling in league 2!

High - new owners which promises better times ahead.

High - my u14s team doing really well!

Low - lost out on runners up because a team 'pinched' points of us and wouldn't move game.

Highs - my kids and grandkids doing really well and thriving (boy are they thriving!!)

Low- we suspect the eldest grandchild has something that is restricting his growth hormones. ( he's nearly 6ft now at 14!)

High - other grandson has passed 'O' level grade at age of 14. In computer studies!

Have more but no time now.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Highs:
  • Holiday to the Isle of Mull in June - an absolutely beautiful place with stunning scenery
  • my eldest niece's wedding and being asked (along with my hubby) to do their wedding photography and album (we're just keen amateurs)
Lows:
  • A house fire in the Summer (ours) :eek: and not being able to live in our house for 5 months and counting . . .
  • Off work due to stress of the above for 2+ months and back on anti depressants but . . .
on a positive note . . . discovering who my friends were and that I had lots of lovely supportive colleagues who were brilliant when I finally returned to work :D

Oh, and a low and a high - being diagnosed with pre diabetes in December. Just hoping I can make the lifestyle changes I should have made a long time ago and catch it before it captures me!!!

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

Highs:
  • Holiday to the Isle of Mull in June - an absolutely beautiful place with stunning scenery
  • my eldest niece's wedding and being asked (along with my hubby) to do their wedding photography and album (we're just keen amateurs)
Lows:
  • A house fire in the Summer (ours) :eek: and not being able to live in our house for 5 months and counting . . .
  • Off work due to stress of the above for 2+ months and back on anti depressants but . . .
on a positive note . . . discovering who my friends were and that I had lots of lovely supportive colleagues who were brilliant when I finally returned to work :D

Oh, and a low and a high - being diagnosed with pre diabetes in December. Just hoping I can make the lifestyle changes I should have made a long time ago and catch it before it captures me!!!
Wow, you've really been through the mill. Hope you can get the house sorted soon. Nothing like being in your own home with your own things around you. Hope you didn't loose to many personal posessions in the fire. I can't think of anything worse than losing precious things that have no real value for insurance purposed but to you they're worth the world. Glad your colleagues at work were supportive, it makes a great difference to how you feel about being there. :)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Personal High? Hitting 27 mmol/l when ill in the summer Personal Low? The November lantus induced hypo that saw me hit 1.2 by the time I was on the way back out and capable of blood testing again! Must've been below 1.0 at some point.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, you've really been through the mill. Hope you can get the house sorted soon. Nothing like being in your own home with your own things around you. Hope you didn't loose to many personal posessions in the fire. I can't think of anything worse than losing precious things that have no real value for insurance purposed but to you they're worth the world. Glad your colleagues at work were supportive, it makes a great difference to how you feel about being there. :)

Thank you for your kind words. It certainly put things into perspective and getting through this I think means I can overcome anything! We didn't lose too much although our kitchen was very damaged (it started in the kitchen) and there was a lot of smoke damage downstairs. We don't actually know the cause of the fire and forensics didn't establish it either. We thought it may have been a toaster or a battery charger but both were tested and found not to be at fault.

The contractors are working hard with the restoration / redecoration and we hope we can move back in at the end of this month - YIPPEEEEE!

It will also mean I can plan meals, store food and eat a lot better :D

C

chris lowe

Thank you for your kind words. It certainly put things into perspective and getting through this I think means I can overcome anything! We didn't lose too much although our kitchen was very damaged (it started in the kitchen) and there was a lot of smoke damage downstairs. We don't actually know the cause of the fire and forensics didn't establish it either. We thought it may have been a toaster or a battery charger but both were tested and found not to be at fault.

The contractors are working hard with the restoration / redecoration and we hope we can move back in at the end of this month - YIPPEEEEE!

It will also mean I can plan meals, store food and eat a lot better :D
So party time at yours at end of the month :happy: