Your skin on gluten

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a very interesting discussion about one aspect (though she does discuss more than just the effect on skin) of gluten-free that I hadn't given much attention to until now. Now I know, I need to check every single personal care product I own - maybe you should too?

Reactions: SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Interesting, very interesting!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
wow, I have been trying to be gluten free but now I am wondering how successfully. Thank you for posting this @Indy51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wow, I have been trying to be gluten free but now I am wondering how successfully. Thank you for posting this @Indy51
Was it you who posted about using oatmeal for your skin? That could be an issue - or a very expensive habit - unless you get certified gluten free oats. Apparently there is a huge risk of cross-contamination if they are processed in the same factory.

I discovered to my horror that one of the products I've been using for years has got wheat germ oil in it :(

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting this, it's not something I had even considered to be an issue until now.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes it was me that posted about the oatmeal. I have not used it in a few years as I prefer to shower and soaking in a tub causes psoriasis to dry and crack further when it is as severe as mine. For minor psoriasis itch and eczema it is quite helpful. It is also good for itching from bug bites. I can see that I need to check a few things for gluten that I had not thought of such as meds and supplements as well as shampoos and soaps etc.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going to add this to my playlist of videos for today. Thanks Indy51!

I woke up a few days ago with scratch marks on my abdomen area, I believe from scratching while I was sleeping. The skin isn't broken, but the skin is red, irritated, and inflammed. The night before I had an omelet for dinner than included two strips of bacon and an ounce of sharp cheddar cheese. Neither are organic or non-GMO, nor are they from pastured animals. I live in the US so thinking this was caused by a significant glyphosate exposure. I'm still itching.

Oh, I also had a glass and a half of a pinot noir from a freshly opened bottle. I haven't had alcohol for months. Okay, I just contacted the winery. I read online that some winerys use wheat flour paste in their barrels and other use yeast made from barley. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say. The bottle is not labeled gluten free.

The first morning, my skin would erupt into redness if I ran my finger nail across it. It's been surreal.

Perhaps I've been eating clean long enough that my body springs into action now to get rid of toxins. Not sure. Wish I was working with a healthcare practitioner to consult about this.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly, I think I now need to do a GF trial.

Listening to her list the associated genetic immune system issues was like taking a guided tour round my family members' health histories. Heck, even the dog is going to have a period of GF (no Sunday Morning inch long chunk of sausage) because of his iffy thyroid.

Life just isn't fair, is it?

Reactions: Winnie53

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had thought I was gluten free, not entirely sure now but working on it. But I really don't want to think about giving up dairy as well. I am lactose intolerant and don't use milk but I can have cream and cheese and I LOVE butter. It is interesting if it's not too much in the TMI category, that I have had bad chronic diarrhea and IBS symptoms for years and now that I am grain free and have gotten the metformin issues resolved, the problem is gone.

Nope life is not fair, woke up to a fasting of 7.7 this morning after only 6 hours sleep and no idea why it is so high other than I feel like :grumpy:. But at least I don't have to spend my day in the bathroom :rolleyes:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really enjoyed the presentation. I subscribed to her monthly newsletter and ordered her book. I also decided to look for an organic, gluten free shampoo, conditioner, and soap. I think I'm going to show this to the diabetes group next month.

@Brunneria I've always been told that if you have any chronic conditions that aren't getting better to consider celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. My understanding is that you'll know within three weeks if going completely gluten-free is making a difference. When I went gluten-free in 2011, I went through withdrawal. I didn't feel better until I found a gluten-free bread that I liked and a gluten-free baker who I'd buy from once a week so I could have a daily treat.

I believe one of the points she made was that both gluten (wheat, barley, rye) and casein (dairy) have a morphine effect on the brain which would explain the withdrawal symptoms I had. Am I remembering that right?

I don't eat bread anymore and only have a paleo, organic, gluten-free muffin or cookie once a week now because I eat low carb, so not sure withdrawal would be an issue for me today. I'm not ready to give up dairy, so buy organic butter from pastured cows, and I try to buy cheeses that are organic and made from raw milk.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I 'gave up' gluten carrying products years ago. Because of the carbs. But blood glucose was always the priority, and I have always felt very relieved that I haven't needed to go the extra mile - a bit of thickener, a mouthful of bread crumbs, a normal sausage, or half a slice of bread, have been perfectly doable.

Always felt deeply sympathetic to those people who HAD to take rigorous measures and exclude everything.

Oh well. Going to give it a try. But not the dairy. Not yet. I can't face losing tea, coffee, gluten AND dairy all inone 6 month period. I will spread that joy into next year, I think. ;)

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear ya - dairy is my holdout too. I'll have another go at giving it up soon ... maybe :(

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow. Great video. I don't ever eat gluten but have known it hides in a lot of things. I try not to be over the top on things as diabetes is enough to contend with but I am going to be more careful. The only gluten I knowingly ingest is a few sips of my husband Guinness foam. Hate to give that up!!! And I'm still going to wear my lipstick!!!
I want my hubby to watch this too. Especially the over lap of T1 and CD. I've been tested and n Gatineau but I know it's wrong. My daughter as well but she will buckle over in pain with just a crumb. Nasty.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sadly, I think I now need to do a GF trial.

Listening to her list the associated genetic immune system issues was like taking a guided tour round my family members' health histories. Heck, even the dog is going to have a period of GF (no Sunday Morning inch long chunk of sausage) because of his iffy thyroid.

Life just isn't fair, is it?
Give that doggie a hug please Brunneria :)

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Thanks for posting that. Fascinating.
I have been wheat free for 32 years, but not completely gluten free. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant for the first time, then later developed ME, although at the time I did not know what ailed me.
In desperation I tried exclusion dieting, and hit the jackpot with wheat. Within two weeks I was cured and had more energy than I had ever experienced in my life before. My gestational diabetes did not return for 26 years.
I also gave up dairy because my breast fed baby had very bad colic. Cured her in two days. It always came back if I slipped.
Gluten free is not a fad. It is a life saver.