Your thoughts please

Kevmawr

I have been type 2 diagnosed 5 years ago.
Up and down journey.
At age of 55 found out that I could have ADHD and ASD.
This may explain years of periodic depression with drop in Dopamine that makes me crave sugar.
HBA1C in Oct 2021 was 101.
I had pre assessment today and was told me hba1c had to be below 69 for surgery to be carried out.
I know I'm struggling even though I am on 2000mg of Metformin.
My friend is a Diabetic nurse advisor and she mentioned GLP-1 and Empagliflozin.
I know that somehow I need to adopt a low carb diet and increase physical activity.
Just feel low as don't drink or smoke and now must give up carbs and sugars to maintain my health.
Apologies for feeling sorry for myself.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What surgery?
And did you know that sugars themselves can cause depression ? Many people report a lifting of mood as their blood glucose lowers.

No need to apologise for felling low. Posting about it and asking for help is good and positive.

Reactions: Fenn

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been type 2 diagnosed 5 years ago.
Up and down journey.
At age of 55 found out that I could have ADHD and ASD.
This may explain years of periodic depression with drop in Dopamine that makes me crave sugar.
HBA1C in Oct 2021 was 101.
I had pre assessment today and was told me hba1c had to be below 69 for surgery to be carried out.
I know I'm struggling even though I am on 2000mg of Metformin.
My friend is a Diabetic nurse advisor and she mentioned GLP-1 and Empagliflozin.
I know that somehow I need to adopt a low carb diet and increase physical activity.
Just feel low as don't drink or smoke and now must give up carbs and sugars to maintain my health.
Apologies for feeling sorry for myself.
Like @lucylocket61 I wonder how you are with food in relation to your diagnosis of ASD. I care for an adult son with Autism who has severe food issues and sticks to a dozen different items of food so know that can be very very difficult. Maybe step one for you, if that is the case, is to work out what foods you like that cause less of an impact on you and reduce as much as possible the ones that cause it rise.
Like @MrsA2 says too for some people, including myself, lowering my blood sugars has lifted my long term depression so sugar levels and mood can be linked as one cause of depression.
Good idea too to contact your GP or diabetic nurse who can review your current levels with you and maybe look at some medication to lower if your operation is needed as soon as possible. Meanwhile taking a few small changes if possible to the way you eat may also help you to feel you are taking some control.
Look after yourself and try and seek some more medical advice re the pre op stuff.your friend clearly feels you may need some more meds adding in. You will get it in more control with a mix of more drugs and some food changes. You can take it one step at a time important thing is heading in right direction.