1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ypso pump help for my t1 warrior

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Siennasmommy13, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Siennasmommy13

Siennasmommy13 · Newbie

My DD was diagnosed October 2020 after going into severe DKA and shock she is only 3 and has been put onto the ypso pump with a dexcom. I am absolutely hated the ypso pump but the dsn and consultant really pushed for her to be in it as they told me it was the best one for her and no many options for her age group. She was originally put on the soft orbit cannulas and we were having cannula and tuning fails constantly not one cannula lasted the three days and some didn't last the day they were changed. We recently changed to the steel cannulas and whilst theyve been 'better' we had a box of cannulas with occlusion whilst prepping the tubing and just random blocked cannulas with no warning which when taken out weren't bent or damanged but when we connected it back to its tubing and ran insulin through nothing was coming out she is a small 3 year old with no much fat on her and wears her cannula on her stomach and I'm reluctant with putting it anywhere else. When we were doing MDI she was beautifully in range and now on the pump hardly in range at all maybe over a few days if we have a lucky cannula! Has anyone had the same issues with ypso because I'm really considering going back onto MDI as it seems more hassle than it's worse really and feeling down about it spoke to dsn about it but was made to feel really bad about the possibility of giving the pump back. If anyone has any advice or help it would be really appreciated thank you.

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I struggle with cannulas. I’m more successful with angled cannulas that I push in by hand. They might look a little intimidating, but my success rate is better. The shortest one available is 13mm, but it goes in at an angle so it lays between the skin layers.

3. Maco

Maco Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can’t comment on the Ypso personally but I’ve heard loads of bad reviews about it. I did my training on the Medtronic 780g on the 7th of January & one of the men in my group had been using the Ypso for only 6 month when our DSN pulled him off it & onto the 780G. He absolutely hated it & said it was the worst thing he had ever used. His main complaint was the cannulas as well like yourself..

4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Add your son's age to the title and post in the parent's forum? There are folk with under 2s who occasionally post there...

I think your issue is your child's size and age rather than necessarily the particular pump, so advice from others with young children is the way to go...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook